Preamplifier Recommendations?

Ceruleance
Ceruleance Posts: 991
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
found a good deal on a set of h/k amplifiers and decided to go with seperates. Can anyone recommend a good preamp?(high value good, not put the local hi-fi store to shame good $$) I need it to have dolby digital and all that good stuff. Also must be able to send a stereo signal (combined L/R to center channel) to all speakers for parties. DPL2 would be nice but not necessary, THX is overrated for the money. Thanks for your opinions
oh P.S. I own a JVC-8010 right now, Does anyone know whether it can send a signal out to a seperate amp while still running the internal amps, so as to Bi-amp the speakers? are there receivers that can do this for an economical price compared to a seperate preamp and amp?
Post edited by Ceruleance on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    Yes it can.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Ceruleance
    edited April 2002
    How? Im looking at it now and it has RCA ins for DVD player but no outs. There's an out for Tape deck/MD recorder but thats only 2 channels, anyway to amplifiy 5 channels internally as well as send the signal out to another amp?
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2002
    How much do you want to spend? They are working aout the last bugs now but the Outlaw 950 is supposed to be the best thing going for $899. Nothing else in this class can be had for below $1,200 as I understand.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Ceruleance
    edited April 2002
    a bit too pricey for me, are there quality units at lower prices?
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2002
    You are going to be hard pressed to find a "quality" pre-pro for much less. As people start moving up the food chain to separates there is no real demand for average or "mass market" separates. Your best bet may be to find a receiver that has a minimum of 5 channel pre-outs. The Denon 2802 comes to mind ($799 msrp - $500+ street) or the Outlaw 1050 @ $499. Both of these are 6.1 receivers. You probably will not find an a/v receiver that has full preouts and all the current bells and whistles for much less. The Denon 1802 has pre-outs for the front 3 channels and can be had for less than $400.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson