Polk Hierarchy

Alan_r
Alan_r Posts: 164
What did Polk replace the RT and RTxxxi series floorstanders with? I thought possibly the TSi but wasn’t there something in between?

Modern day- where does the the “American High-Fi” fit in? Obviously below LSiM but definitely above the TSiM.?.?.?

Where did the Monitor Series fit into this?

Basically I’m looking for the upgrade path within the Polk lineup from about ten years back to present.

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    TSi replaced the monitor series
    RTiA replaced the RT series

and now there is a Signature below the RTiA, but above the TSi series

Top to bottom

LSiM
    RTiA
    Signature
    TSi
    T
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Alan_r
    Thank you. Marketing had me thinking the Signature was right below LSiM. Price isn’t always in indicator. I know a few years back the “Power Port” was something they were proud of, so I didn’t think the RT was a bottom level speaker.

It becomes convuded these days with all the focus on home theatre and seemingly little on pure music.

So basically an upgrade from older RT’s would be modern RTiA or ultimately, LSiM. Thx
  • txcoastal1
    If you are torn between RTiA and the Signatures

Many think the Signatures are better suited for music over the RTiA's ...so decide if you're buying for music or theater...but it's about taste
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• I have a pair of signature s60 and they are used for both home theatre and music pretty darn good over all speakers for mixed usage as far as I am concerned. When on sale they are a great value
  • Alan_r
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    If you are torn between RTiA and the Signatures

Many think the Signatures are better suited for music over the RTiA's ...so decide if you're buying for music or theater...but it's about taste

Ha! Oh well then. I was putting together a system for the purpose of critical listening so that I could explore digital hi-res music (another thread I had written that left me with more questions than answers) for myself compared to other formats. Simple 10x10 room, treated with a single comfortable chair in the middle. Basic NAD amps (can switch between a 340 and a restored 3020), Kimber PBJ’s and 8TC’s. I was looking for a revealing bookshelf but couldn’t justify LSIm703’s for what I want to do.

Based on my own research/ reading market hype and reviews, I picked up a set of RTIA3’s.........instead of the High Fi series as I thought they were geared more towards HT, exactly opposite of what you’re telling me lol.

I’ve enjoyed RT series in the past so I figured RTIA would offer a decent familiarity along with a modernization upgrade.

Interestingly enough, Polk recommended the AHF S15’s as well. Thankfully all these sets are affordable I guess.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    On the other hand, NAD is probably one of the better options to neutralize the RTiA brightness. Most importantly, how does it all sound to you? If it puts a smile on your face, that's all that matters.
  • Alan_r
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    On the other hand, NAD is probably one of the better options to neutralize the RTiA brightness. Most importantly, how does it all sound to you? If it puts a smile on your face, that's all that matters.

Agreed. One thing I’ve always noticed after listening to systems belonging to friends who spend way more than I do on this, is the welcome “warmth” of my older NAD amps. When music is not a background noise, basically when I sit down to enjoy an album or two, the type of music I listen to seems to reward a “warm” sounding system. Strings and such.

I have only noticed my polks sounding “bright” when listening to music that seems to be recorded and played “bright”.....The Ramones for example. And to add to the mess, when certain speaker cables are used. I was never totally bought and sold as to cables getting “better” as the price increases, but I did notice some sounding different. Weird example, my living room system seems to sound better to me, less shrill at the top of end, bright if you will, when using large gauge cables. Once I noticed this I built a bunch of different cables using everything from marine duplex wire to actual speaker wire. Yep....certain cables sounded different. Though I often believe my Kimbers sound “better” only because I know what I paid for them. But they certainly sound different.

Anyway, RTiA3’s are set up on 24” stands and awaiting my amp. Decided to replace the caps on the C740 before trying them out.

Hopefully the A3’s are revealing enough to serve why I bought them. Getting info on sound differences between digital formats, tube amps and turntables is difficult via internet. So this system was built to experiment with source material and ultimately amplification. If I find something I like the sound of, it’ll make it into the upgrade/addition path of my main system. My passion is for the music, my hobby is how I listen to it.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    edited February 2018
    Damn, I feel like putting that into my sig.

Edit: put it there
    Alan_r wrote: »
    My passion is for the music, my hobby is how I listen to it.

Post edited by Clipdat on
  • Alan_r
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Damn, I feel like putting that into my sig.

Edit: put it there
    My passion is for the music, my hobby is how I listen to it.

Hahaha, I didn’t even think of the ring to that when I wrote it. I think that it describes most of us here though to be honest.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Well it's staying there forever now, with your credit!
    Hahaha, I didn’t even think of the ring to that when I wrote it. I think that it describes most of us here though to be honest.

• Alan_r
    nbrowser wrote: »

I agree, I have a C326BEE integrated pushing a pair of RTiA3 bookies, actually a magical combo cause it sounds devilishly good.

I can definitely see why people consider the RTiA3’s “Bright”. My final configuration out of three amps was another C740 that I picked up on the bay for $25. Seller said it was not working but I happened to notice the preamp to amp jumpers configured wrong. Once I got it out of the box and fixed them, it works great. Regardless, it sounds the least “bright”.

They do sound very revealing though and I’m confident that they’ll serve the purpose for which I bought them. They’ve revealed differences between different digital formats. Now I’m adding a turntable to this setup so that I can play with that too.

I am fighting wicked room acoustics though. This is the smallest room I’ve ever set up a system in; 11’2” x 9’8” with 8’ ceiling. Reflections are crazy and make the sound come off as hollow. Aftermarket wall treatment is in order for sure.
  • Alan_r
    edited February 2018
    “They are bright as they are geared more towards home theatre”

That was suggested to me unfortunately after I picked mine up, got a pretty solid deal on them but still. I wish there was a clear separation between speaker lines designed for the different uses. I was apparently COMPLETELY wrong with how I deciphered Polks lineup. I thought the American High Fi series was their home theatre and music crossover speaker line. TSI being the entry level. RTiA being music for the masses so to speak. Then LSiM being TOTL Audiophile grade equipment. Guess not.

Either way, I make do. They do sound pretty good and once I used the tone control on the C740, which I have bypassed on every other amp I own, I was able to reduce the brightness. Perhaps I should have just bit the bullet and picked up the LSiM703’s.
  • Alan_r
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Just a decide for you, RTI... Reference Theater improved. :)

Are you kidding me? lol

I suppose the full name then is “Reference Theater” for “Idiot Audiophiles”. RTiA............

So what does LSIM stand for?
  • txcoastal1
    Luxury

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Luxury
    RT -> RTi -> So, next must be RTiA.
    LS -> LSi -> So, next must be LSi... M?
    Haven't quite figured that one out yet.
  • Alan_r
    Luxury
    RT -> RTi -> So, next must be RTiA.
    LS -> LSi -> So, next must be LSi... M?
    Haven't quite figured that one out yet.

Yeah I found it confusing for some reason. I have a set of ancient RT600’s that I love; music only. Have them set up with two Polk PSW505’s just to the inside of each one. Crossovers set to come on right as the RT’s are becoming silent. Sounds really nice for what I have in it.

My contentment with the old RT’s led me to consider the RTIA. Honestly though, the amp connected to them has new Caps, all cables are brand new and the RTiA3’s have less than an hour on them according to the original owner. He bought them as desktop speakers and quickly figured out they were to big for that. Lol

I’ve been playing the entire system for six to eight hours a day as background music so if “break in” is real on any of these components, it’ll happen. I have no fear of “just getting used to them” as I have my main system that I listen to in the evening, then a bedroom system that plays late through the night. All three are considerably different sounding so I should notice if the new system changes tone.