Stranger Things

2»

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    And I thought I was easily amused??? It's ok!! Not all that!! The good thing is if you have teens (which I have one) then it makes for some good fam type watching, but as adult watching...........ah......not!

It probably makes a big difference how, um, wise you are ;-)

If you grew up in the 80s watching the Goonies and loving sci-fi (and Wynona Rider), then I think this would be hard not to like. BUT if that's not your demographic, then I can see how it might not resonate with you emotionally.

And yes, I am calling @tophatjohnny and @Jimbo18 old lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    And I thought I was easily amused??? It's ok!! Not all that!! The good thing is if you have teens (which I have one) then it makes for some good fam type watching, but as adult watching...........ah......not!

If you grew up in the 80s watching the Goonies and loving sci-fi (and Wynona Rider), then I think this would be hard not to like. BUT if that's not your demographic, then I can see how it might not resonate with you emotionally.

Perhaps we are just more discerning than the rest of you young'uns.
  • rooftop59 wrote: »

The 80's were a blurr for me, but I am old I know....not that old though. The show is cute, I'll give it that. And my kids dig Goonies, so I'll watch season 2, believe that! lol :)
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Just watched the first episode. Pretty good. Watching second episode now. Ha ha
  • dromunds
    What year is this supposedly happening in the show?
  • rooftop59
    1980 something...kinda like the Golberg's lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • dromunds
    I watched the last episode of season one last night. Pretty good show. I thought I posted earlier about episode five which shows the kid with the missing teeth wearing a T-shirt that says "Waupaca, Wis." That's a little resort town on a chain of lakes just down the road from me. Anyway, the finale was good with an unexpected twist at the end with that expectorant coming out and going down the drain. Thanks for the heads up, well worth watching.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Might have to give this a try now that we are done with Narcos S2
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    Loved the first season! I'm currently working 12hr third shift. This show gave me something to stay awake for on my weekend off.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • rooftop59
    Imma slow watcher...just finished season two. The last episode was awesome! Even my wife was like well what’s gonna happen next? And I had to explain to her that the next season won’t come out for another year :(:'(
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • One of the best shows ever. Loved it with all my heart.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    This is how I feel as well, literally loved everything about it.

Purchased all the soundtracks for it on vinyl too :)
    polkadot9 wrote: »
    One of the best shows ever. Loved it with all my heart.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I wasn't impressed by the first season and I liked the second season even less. Every main character was annoying as hell and it eventually just turned into a cheesy horror movie with those dog-like things and creeping-flesh-filled tunnels of Yawnsville.

The fact that the script was written by people that weren't even alive in the 80's caused so much of the dialog to sound like the latest catch-phrases used on social media. And all of the teenage romance garbage was insufferable as were every single attempt at humor.

For a show that took place in 1984, it was silly that almost EVERY SINGLE CAR was from either the 60's or 70's.

Even disregarding Winona Ryder's shoplifting issues, I never liked her as an actress and I like her even less as a person. Obviously some of the younger actors have potential for talent, but wanting to shoot them all in the face every time they appear onscreen really helps to nullify any thought in that regard.

Many people have compared it to the German original Netflix series called "Dark", which I liked way better. Still, it sucks that almost all television is comprised of insipid reality shows or shows that carry over a story line episode-to-episode or season-to-season. The best TV formula: a 60-minute story = done!

I'm gonna pi$$-off and go watch "The Twilight Zone" and the rest of "Black Mirror". :p
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    7vivrde5sehf.jpg

Viking64 wrote: »
    Obviously some of the younger actors have potential for talent, but wanting to shoot them all in the face every time they appear onscreen really helps to nullify any thought in that regard.

• Viking64
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Doug the Pug is a traitor!!! :p

Thanks for the laughs, guys. :)
  • rooftop59
    The best TV formula: a 60-minute story = done!

I completely disagree. Best thing that happened to television was to break free of this drivel. What can really happen in 60 minutes?
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Viking64
    edited January 2018
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I completely disagree. Best thing that happened to television was to break free of this drivel. What can really happen in 60 minutes?

"Oh, well that was the season finale. I guess we will just have to wait another year to find out what happens to x and y and z. Oh goody, the new season starts tonight. Oh how dare they kill off #3 and #8. I hate them, but at least we still have #4 and #5. I love them. Well the season ended tonight and we still don't know about a and b and c, but #14 is banging #2 and #11 is jealous. I can't wait until next year to see how he reacts. In the meantime, let's buy all sorts of show-related junk and speculate what will happen next year on the internet. Oh yippee, the new season starts tonight. I am sooooo excited. How dare the producers do that? That's not what I wanted at all. Oh crap, the season just ended and it was all a dream and we are all a bunch of idiots. Boo-hooo."
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    At least there is a cool camaro featured...
    4kzecjvqsdxr.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    edited January 2018
    verb wrote: »
    When I see cars like that, I just think of rednecks with mullets drinking beer and listening to southern rock or cheesy 80's hair metal and I am thankful my parents aren't cousins.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • verb
    When I see cars like that, I just think of rednecks with mullets drinking beer and listening to southern rock or cheesy 80's hair metal and I am thankful my parents aren't cousins.

Well it also featured a car that brought back some other memories from my college days:
    cmuk1yd5jb2n.png
    Mine was originally that color but it had so much rust and different colored primers on it we named it SPOT. Ah the good times.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Well it also featured a car that brought back some other memories from my college days:
    Mine was originally that color but it had so much rust and different colored primers on it we named it SPOT. Ah the good times.

Holy shi....uhh....cra....uh.....Holy Smoking valves! :p My brother had a yellow one just like that. And a blue Pinto station wagon that was pretty rusty.

One of the kids from school came to look at it to buy it, and when he opened the hatchback, it got stuck open and wouldn't close, so he tried to force it. My father was outside with him and told him to be careful. He responded "It's just a piece of ****." My father was furious. :D
  • verb

Holy shi....uhh....cra....uh.....Holy Smoking valves! :p My brother had a yellow one just like that. And a blue Pinto station wagon that was pretty rusty.

One of the kids from school came to look at it to buy it, and when he opened the hatchback, it got stuck open and wouldn't close, so he tried to force it. My father was outside with him and told him to be careful. He responded "It's just a piece of ****." My father was furious. :D

Too funny! Mine had a manual transmission. One winter night coming back from work I was driving back to the dorm, and BAM! Car rolled to a stop and would not get back into gear. Crunch crunch! So I called a buddy (yes after walking some distance to a pay phone) and left it on the side of the road. Next day to my disappointment it was still there! Had it towed to a shop and discovered the tranny gears literally exploded! Not a drop of oil in the tranny. We had a memorial, and signed the title over to the shop for scrap. Memories.
  • verb
    Yep. That reminds me of how NBC rigged some Chevrolet Trucks back in the early 90's with incendiary devices to get em to burn up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtpMzGN9uWc
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Is this the series based on Russ' home movies?
  • Viking64
    Willow wrote: »
    Is this the series based on Russ' home movies?

No, that one is called "Stranger Danger". :p

a6ngzow0p7rk.jpg