How does vintage monitor 5A compare with vintage monitor 7A?

Hi y’all, how do these two speakers compare- the 5A w/ the 8” PR and the 7A w/ the 10” PR. Does maybe the 5A have less deep bass but a tighter bass? Any observations welcome.
Music Hall MMF-2.2 > Musical Fidelity V-LPS 2 or NAD C 516BEE > Emotiva XSP-1 G2 > Emotiva UPA-1 (x2) > vintage Polk Audio monitor 7c TL modded w/ Sonicaps and mills & RD0-198’s

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    IMHO, it's more relative to the room size
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Had 5's with Peerless tweeters. Re capped them and did all the usual mods. Have 7's with Peerless and did all of the same mods. Let them both burn in for 250 - 300 hours. I did not like anything about the 5's at all. To me they did not come anywhere close to the 7's. Even in a small office.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    @Faustin, what exactly turned you off about the 5s? I currently have a pair with mods in the garage and can say that the amp in line (yammy integrated) doesn't have the cajones to wake them up properly, but I have no real complaints. Admittedly, I should be using a pair of 10s or 11s to fill the space, but again, the current amp needs replacing first.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    I had M7C's unmodded with the SL2500 tweeter and then got a set of M5jr+ series 2 with the same tweeter. I definitely liked the M7's better for soundstage and presence, but the 5's don't lose much to them, imo.

I sold the M7s due to lack of room and went with the 5's, but admittedly do wish I had been able to keep both.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Don't own 7's, and I know they are generally accepted as the sweet spot in the monitor line, but I have to agree, I had Mon 5A's with Peerless and they really set the "Polk hook" in me from the time I first heard them. Fairly compact as well.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    FestYboy wrote: »
    @Faustin, what exactly turned you off about the 5s? I currently have a pair with mods in the garage and can say that the amp in line (yammy integrated) doesn't have the cajones to wake them up properly, but I have no real complaints. Admittedly, I should be using a pair of 10s or 11s to fill the space, but again, the current amp needs replacing first.

To me they did not come close to the 7's. Bass, high end, soundstage etc. They would have been great in my garage setup but they were in such beautiful shape I felt they deserved better. I gave them to friend and have some 4.6's that I paid $15 for in the garage.