Comments

• Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited April 2002
    woo-hoo!..mine shipped today
  • rodneyat
    rodneyat Posts: 67
    edited April 2002
    It appears as if Denon is doing the same thing that some of the other manufacturers are doing, they make a product and sell it with a couple of different product numbers on it. One line usually will go through the more "elite" or "value-added" resellers and the other will generally go through the more "consumer" channels or "e-tailers" My Yamaha receiver is actually an HTR-5490 but I usually say it is an RX-V1200 because most people do not know what an HTR-5490 is. They are the EXACT same receiver with the same specs, list price, features, warranty etc. The only difference is the labeling on the front and about $100 street price less. Usually the value add guys will not discount as far and usually will not deal as much on price. So, the manufacturers create another product number that is the same unit then the value add guys will not get as much flack for their prices because the product numbers are actually different, even though they are the same unit. That way all of the value add guys can keep their margins higher and not have to compete with the retail and etail stores....Great for the stores, bad for the consumer!
    Unless you really know what you are doing!

:D
    Polk RT 800i mains, CS 400i center, FX 500i surrounds, RT 35i rear centers, Definitive Supercube II, Yamaha RX-V3800, Samsung PN58C8000
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    so is the 982 the 'elite' model # for the 3802?
  • rodneyat
    rodneyat Posts: 67
    edited April 2002
    Actually, it would be the other way around...The 2802 and 3802 are the models that you would generally see going through your smaller home theater stores or through custom installers. The 982 and 1082 would be the ones that would end up in the retail and etail channel. I do not know if the list prices are the same or not since Denon does not have anything on the 982 or 1082 on their website. With Yamaha they made it pretty easy to figure out...While they did not have the list prices of both listed, they did have the specs for both listed and they had a blurb in their FAQ section about the difference between the HRT and RX-V line. Basically, they took 6 paragraphs to tell you that the difference is the gold labels on the front! The big thing like with many manufacturers these days is to make sure you get it through an authorized dealer if you are really concerned with warranty issues later. There has been a little bashing of Denon in this thread because of that policy. Let us all bear in mind...Most of the manufacturers are doing that these days. Including the one that is hosting this forum! While I may not like it, it is the way that the industry is going.
    Polk RT 800i mains, CS 400i center, FX 500i surrounds, RT 35i rear centers, Definitive Supercube II, Yamaha RX-V3800, Samsung PN58C8000
  • juice21
    edited April 2002
    thanks rodneyat!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2002
    Juice - Rodneyat is right - They are EXACTLY the same.

Home |Specialty
    Audio |Audio

3802 = 1082
    2802 = 982
    1802 = 882
    1602 = 682

One of the differences is in the way they list the power specs. Even though they are again EXACTLY the same specs. For the Home Audio (3802) products they will list the wpc as 110 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, <.05%THD) but for the Specialty Audio (1082) the list the wpc as 150 watts per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, <.7%THD). This supposedly gives Denon the ability to match the wpc of the competetors in the "mass market" arena since there is a perception that they are a little more generous in their power ratings.

If you are interested the Denon Home Audio products are HERE and the Specialty Audio products are HERE .
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • robertgray
    robertgray Posts: 22
    edited April 2002
    I found an article at Stereophile that addresses the issue of multiple versions of the same product. Go to http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?224.
    Robert Gray
    www.pamunkey.net

Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver
    Polk CS245i center
    Polk RT25i front and side surrounds
    Bose Interaudio 2000 rear surround (Got one RT25i to round out my system? PM me.)
    Polk PSW450 sub
    plus........
    Polk PSW350 sub
  • juice21
    edited April 2002
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Shack-I sent you e-mail regarding a qeustion on the Denon you got from 6th avenue..DOnt know if it went through or not..can you e-mail me at
    bmehilos@hotmail.com???? I got mine but it looks like it may have been re-boxed..want to compare to how yours was sent..thanks!
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by OrangeToupee

Trying to be humble; sure, it rocks clean and hard.

only when you are high right??? and have the Night Ranger cranking???
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited April 2002
    Hehehe.....

Yeah, smokey, and it's not like you'll be last in line for tickets to that Hanoi Rocks/Bullet Boys fest, soon to be hitting your town. Break out the Visine.