Polk Magnifi Mini Dolby Digital Green Light Problem

I have the Polk Magnifi Mini hooked up to my TCL television through the ARC setup. When I play a BluRay disc that only has a DTS 7.1 audio output the Mini will not convert to dolby digital and the green light does not come on. If the disc has a 5.1 audio output then everything works perfect. For example the 4K Bluray of Deadpool only has Dolby Atmos output which will not let the green light come on. On the Deadpool Bluray 1080P version the audio out is English DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 which will not turn the green light on. Can you tell me if this is by design or do I have a faulty speaker.

Comments

• The soundbar is a Dolby Digital system, it doesn't decode DTS.
  • Why does it say DTS TruSurround right on the box

y9gsjlucgcgg.jpg
  • I based my post from the product description of the MagniFi Mini which says: "Polk's patented surround sound technology and 5.1 Dolby Digital decoding create incredible room-filling surround sound..."
    Of course you should check with Polk directly via 1-800-377-7655 select option 1.
  • Thanks Kenneth,

I have reached out to Polk but have not heard back yet. It's a shame I only have 2 options when watching movies. I can watch a 1080P movie with Dolby Digital or a 4K movie is stereo. What I want of course is 4K and Dolby Digital.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I have a Mini also. It does not decode DTS bit-streams. DTS TruSurround has nothing to do with being able to decode DTS. There is no such thing as converting a DTS bit-stream to a Dolby Digital stream. Same goes for Dolby Atmos. Though it shares the Dolby name, It's a completely different encoding scheme.

In short, your Mini is working as designed.
  • Hi. I don’t know if it’s a solution for you, but in my case I have solved this buying an Xbox One X (It plays 4K blu Ray discs). It converts DTS to Dolby and vice-versa. I watch blu ray discs that has only DTS sound and the green light stays on. The sound is awesome. Of course, you need to setup your audio output in the Xbox, and you can use its optical output straight to the mini. That’s how I solved it. Hope that helps.

P.S. I also bought a “regular” Xbox remote control, so it feels almost the same having a regular Blu Ray player.
  • Skyking75 wrote: »
    I have the Polk Magnifi Mini hooked up to my TCL television through the ARC setup. When I play a BluRay disc that only has a DTS 7.1 audio output the Mini will not convert to dolby digital and the green light does not come on. If the disc has a 5.1 audio output then everything works perfect. For example the 4K Bluray of Deadpool only has Dolby Atmos output which will not let the green light come on. On the Deadpool Bluray 1080P version the audio out is English DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 which will not turn the green light on. Can you tell me if this is by design or do I have a faulty speaker.
    Skyking75 wrote: »