Black Hole 5?

Options
Seems to be out of stock or at least as hard to find as a good bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 23? Has this been discontinued by the manufacturer or does anyone have a good source other than Sonic Craft / Parts Express?

Took a 9-month break from playing with audio to get relocated and now it's time to finish updating all my Polk gems.

Working on the total rebuild of my second pair of 1.2TL big boys and the BH5 is the missing link to putting it all back together. So far I've completed a 2B (TL), 3.1 and a 1.2 and this stuff is amazing. I have sheets of Sonic Barrier and No-Rez but would love to stick with the BH5 in the SDA's.

Obligatory work-in-process pic (cabinet sealed, rings installed):
cbmnd9x8p6wb.jpg
Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    It's still available, but in smaller sheets and for a lot more money. As of now Sonic Craft and PE are no longer stocking it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    Next to the black paint...
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Options
    Thanks Jessie.

Is that the 12x18 size? Speaker City had that size listed on their website for ~$70(!) but I got a fault when I tried to order from there last week. Was acting like all was good right up until I hit the submit order button. Maybe they're just out for now as well? That was the last place to come up in a Google search that seemed to have some in stock? Ran through all the "authorized" dealers from the ORCA site to no avail.......
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    The 1 1/4" Sonic Barrier is nearly as good, for a third the price.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    I think I got the last sheet of BH5 from Sonicraft a few weeks ago, I don’t think they will carry it anymore..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You, jesse and I
    They found 3 in the back room and Jesse and I jumped in it. If i had the cash i would bought 2 :)
    I believe Jeff or Elliot told me the same thing. As the supplier has changed the size and composition of it and they didn't feel it was worth the cost.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I think I got the last sheet of BH5 from Sonicraft a few weeks ago, I don’t think they will carry it anymore..

I seen that on Sonicraft last week ... Should've pulled the trigger !!!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • RobbyKY
    Options
    Sounds like I'm a day late and a dollar short on the old school BH5. If the going opinion is the new stuff is sub-par, think I'll just use up my stock of Sonic Barrier. I've got some left-over BH5 and half sheet of No-Rez but not in the mood to play mix and match and then wind up redoing the cabinets. Can I assume similar size of the SB will yield similar results as the BH5? I remember reading a much older post by Larry I believe where too much gave poor results. Got more than enough of the SB to complete the 1.2's and then move on to the 3.1's. Can't thank everyone on this site enough for all the help!

1gqmi4x909pa.jpg

• verb
    Options
    The 1 1/4" Sonic Barrier is nearly as good, for a third the price.

Thanks David. Just ordered a sheet.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Options
    RobbyKY wrote: »
    Sounds like I'm a day late and a dollar short on the old school BH5. If the going opinion is the new stuff is sub-par, think I'll just use up my stock of Sonic Barrier. I've got some left-over BH5 and half sheet of No-Rez but not in the mood to play mix and match and then wind up redoing the cabinets. Can I assume similar size of the SB will yield similar results as the BH5? I remember reading a much older post by Larry I believe where too much gave poor results. Got more than enough of the SB to complete the 1.2's and then move on to the 3.1's. Can't thank everyone on this site enough for all the help!

1gqmi4x909pa.jpg

Are you willing to part with your BH5? I’m doing a set of 1C’s.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    No rez is as good if not better. Made by gr research
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Thanks Jessie.

Is that the 12x18 size? Speaker City had that size listed on their website for ~$70(!) but I got a fault when I tried to order from there last week. Was acting like all was good right up until I hit the submit order button. Maybe they're just out for now as well? That was the last place to come up in a Google search that seemed to have some in stock? Ran through all the "authorized" dealers from the ORCA site to no avail.......

That's it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RobbyKY
    Options
    Verb,

I would if I can locate the rest of it.

I was also using it for my #4 Vice in the rear inside wheel wells of this beast to tame the drone from the Nitto mud tires. Between the BH5 and lots of Dynamat, this thing became almost normal at highway speeds. When we moved, whatever I have left over got packed with the garage stuff but there's probably only enough to fit behind the tweeters in a 1C. The garage here in Texas is still a no man's land of boxes......

0w8by6bdbikk.jpg

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    You, jesse and I
    They found 3 in the back room and Jesse and I jumped in it. If i had the cash i would bought 2 :)
    I believe Jeff or Elliot told me the same thing. As the supplier has changed the size and composition of it and they didn't feel it was worth the cost.

I split mine in half with Brian so he had some for his 2B's..

• verb
    Options
    Verb,

I would if I can locate the rest of it.

I was also using it for my #4 Vice in the rear inside wheel wells of this beast to tame the drone from the Nitto mud tires. Between the BH5 and lots of Dynamat, this thing became almost normal at highway speeds. When we moved, whatever I have left over got packed with the garage stuff but there's probably only enough to fit behind the tweeters in a 1C. The garage here in Texas is still a no man's land of boxes......

0w8by6bdbikk.jpg

No worries. My basement is the same way as we moved in October. Thanks!!!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    I used the 1 1/4" Sonic Barrier from PE for my 1C's. I'm very pleased with the results.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Black Hole... its the new Black Paint!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    Options
    I used the sonic barrier on my sda srs’s too and am happy with the results
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    SVS prime elevation ceiling surrounds
    Rythmik F15HP sub
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K
    Mac Mini Server

Office System
    Musical Fidelity M6s dac/preamp
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    Microrendu
    Roku Ultra
    Mac Mini Server
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    Well, I guess I'm lucky I got mine when I did. :p
  • TheChemist
    TheChemist Posts: 13
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Thanks Jessie.

I just bought some from there. $99 delivered but I live in Bush Alaska. Yeah, it is spendy. I had the same problem ordering and called them. I am finishing up my SDA2-B's, have the right tweet to install and wouldn't you know, the frame is ever so slightly too large. Going to spend some quality time with an Exacto knife.
    Westmassguy was very helpful in getting mine together, and patient too.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have about half a sheet of BH 5 left over from when it was sold in roughly 24" x 26" sheets. Can get exact measurements of what I have if anyone is serious about buying it.
  • verb
    Options
    Slapaho wrote: »
    I have about half a sheet of BH 5 left over from when it was sold in roughly 24" x 26" sheets. Can get exact measurements of what I have if anyone is serious about buying it.

I'll take it!!!
  • verb
    Options
    Black Hole 5 in the house! Enough to do my 1C's. Thanks @Slapaho !
    e1c19fxd7my8.jpg
  • Viking64
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Black Hole 5 in the house! Enough to do my 1C's. Thanks @Slapaho !
    It looks like you have a new vacuum tube. How does that sound with the rest of your system?
  • verb
    Options
    Very funny. My office, and repository for other junk. Sounds terrible BTW, even after years of burn in!
  • Viking64
    edited February 2018
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Very funny. My office, and repository for other junk. Sounds terrible BTW, even after years of burn in!

Try moving that BH5 a few inches to the West and it should suddenly sound great in there. :p

If that doesn't work, you could always try some spikes.

a63sqveh415k.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    That appears to be a whole sheet. Looks bigger than a half sheet from the picture .....
    Hard to tell but that's killer
  • verb
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    That appears to be a whole sheet. Looks bigger than a half sheet from the picture .....
    Hard to tell but that's killer

12" x 23.5" in size. The edges are all pristine (no cut marks) so I believe it came that way.
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Nope its been cut. I recommend a bandsaw, but a table saw works as well.
  • verb
    Options
    Allright @pitdogg2 you made me drag my arse down into the basement. :smiley: It does appear that it was cut, albeit a very nice cut! Looks like @slapaho used a tablesaw or similar. Very clean edges. I'll be doing the same on this piece.