Look at this if you are near Colorado Springs... SRS 3.1 TL's

VSAT88
VSAT88 Posts: 1,225
edited January 2018 in Vintage Speakers
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/47635204 SRS 3.1 TL's Oh my God how I wish.

Comments

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    ^^ yikes! ^^
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,421
    Those look rough. I have good friend in Colorado Springs
  • VSAT88
    edited January 2018
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Those look rough. I have good friend in Colorado Springs

Ruff, Ruff ! I would be as happy as dog with a ham bone. Guess that means I like em Ruff . Even though they are rough I would take them and take my sweet time getting them back up to par. If, If If, right ? I Hope a Polkie Man (or Woman) gets em.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,421
    As long as the cabinets are in good shape and the right dollar amount is agreed upon yep it would be worth it.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    I'd guess they'd go for less than 3 bills unless someone really wants them.

Love to have some 3.1's and I almost got in on it but I already have something coming my way from a different GW.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    oldrocker wrote: »

Love to have some 3.1's and I almost got in on it but I already have something coming my way from a different GW.

Do tell....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VSAT88

Do tell....

Yes...Do tell.
  • oldrocker
    Gonna tip toe thru the tube thing or probably break something "be my luck" :o
  • EndersShadow

Ahh, so it is that think you showed me via PM?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited January 2018
    Some 6503's, and one or both 6511's and they would be good to go. The original 6511's are tough to come by. The 6503's are a little easier, but not easy. Of course, it goes without saying, the RD0-198's would be nice too.

If the person who buys these speakers (and is a 100 post+ forum member) I can help with some (original) 6503's. Unfortunately, I do not have any 6511's that I do not need. The new production 6511's can be bought from Polk, however. I would recommend the original 6511's, personally (yes, I've used both).

Edit: Mevermind. I just now noticed one of the SW122 passive radiators is also pushed in. You may as well forget these speakers as the chances of finding a SW122 is very very small. I recommend forgetting these speakers (unless you want them for parts).
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • oldrocker

Yep, plus 2 other things they found at an estate sale.

• EndersShadow

Yep, plus 2 other things they found at an estate sale.

Lucky duck!
  • VSAT88

Those old Tube consoles are great. I have a friend here in town that does the restore on quite a few and he is good at it. I never thought you could sell them at any good price but he has proved that wrong. He has a Motorola stereo console that sounds like heaven. I think he said it has like 6 EL 34 output tubes.
  • VSAT88
    headrott wrote: »
    Some 6503's, and one or both 6511's and they would be good to go. The original 6511's are tough to come by. The 6503's are a little easier, but not easy. Of course, it goes without saying, the RD0-198's would be nice too.

If the person who buys these speakers (and is a 100 post+ forum member) I can help with some (original) 6503's. Unfortunately, I do not have any 6511's that I do not need. The new production 6511's can be bought from Polk, however. I would recommend the original 6511's, personally (yes, I've used both).

Edit: Mevermind. I just now noticed one of the SW122 passive radiators is also pushed in. You may as well forget these speakers as the chances of finding a SW122 is very very small. I recommend forgetting these speakers (unless you want them for parts).

Naw, I don't want them if they were real close and real cheap I would check out getting them. I did not see the passive problem either. That is a huge turn off.
  • EndersShadow
    VSAT88 wrote: »

Those old Tube consoles are great. I have a friend here in town that does the restore on quite a few and he is good at it. I never thought you could sell them at any good price but he has proved that wrong. He has a Motorola stereo console that sounds like heaven. I think he said it has like 6 EL 34 output tubes.

Interesting...... I too have a Motorole tube console that I’m waiting refurb on.
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    For around 100.00 these are a great deal even with the pushed in passive. Odds are some tape can be used to pull it back out, same with the other drivers. If I was close these would be my shop speakers.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• VSAT88

Hey headrott, I looked at those speakers again and I see the "dust cover" or whatever it is called on a PR is pushed in. I do not see any other real damage. Can you not use the vacuum cleaner trick or use tape to get that out or are they damaged beyond repair ? Tell me if I am wrong please as I would like to know in the future if I am looking at another set somewhere.
  • VSAT88
    I am lying. I still them anyway !!! I am a real sucker for a pair of speakers like these. Rode hard and put up wet. Who will go get them and ship or is driving this way ?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    The thing I have found is wth few exceptions, nothing good ever gets to Goodwill. The only thing you can count on here is you might be able to salvage a few drivers and the cabinets might still be ok. Everything about these is a crapshoot.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VSAT88
    I mean I know you are right. I can keep looking around here and eventually find a set of these. I guess i am hankering because I recently sold my SDA-SRS 2's. Separation anxiety, Postpartum Depression... :'(
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited January 2018

Hey headrott, I looked at those speakers again and I see the "dust cover" or whatever it is called on a PR is pushed in. I do not see any other real damage. Can you not use the vacuum cleaner trick or use tape to get that out or are they damaged beyond repair ? Tell me if I am wrong please as I would like to know in the future if I am looking at another set somewhere.

Sorry man, I just now saw this post. Yes, you may be able to do the vacuum cleaner and/or tape trick to get the dust cove back out. That said, even if the dust cover comes out on the drivers/passive, it's still assuming that there is no other damage to the drivers/passive caused by the pressed in dust covers. That also does not take into account that there may be magnet shift, crossover damage, or a number of other problems to the speakers.

It is very telling how these speakers were treated by how they visually look. And, based upon the visuals, I would say they were not treated with respect, IMO.

I would proceed with much caution, and would not purchase these speakers for a high dollar amount, again, in my opinion.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • VSAT88

Sorry man, I just now saw this post. Yes, you may be able to do the vacuum cleaner and/or tape trick to get the dust cove back out. That said, even if the dust cover comes out on the drivers/passive, it's still assuming that there is no other damage to the drivers/passive caused by the pressed in dust covers. That also does not take into account that there may be magnet shift, crossover damage, or a number of other problems to the speakers.

It is very telling how these speakers were treated by how they visually look. And, based upon the visuals, I would say they were not treated with respect, IMO.

I would proceed with much caution, and would not purchase these speakers for a high dollar amount, again, in my opinion.

Just picked up a pair of SDA 2's to rehab for virtually nothing so I will be fine..LOL..BTW, I do agree with what you said and Colorado Springs is a long, long way from Phenix City Alabama. Perhaps some other Polkie Man will want them.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Good for you!

I sold a pair of SRS2's and experienced the same phenomenon. I have my second set of SRS2's now and a harder grip on these!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • BC6
    BC6 Posts: 109
    I'm taking a shot at them and currently have the high bid. I decided to try for them because I'm in Denver so they're close, plus I've been thinking of upgrading my original SDA 2s, but I'm too afraid to do it because I'm inept at anything electronic. (I have a basement full of poorly built and ugly train layouts that don't work.) So I thought these would make a nice experiment if I can get them. If I fix/upgrade them and succeed, then I'll have a great set of speakers for cheap, and if I mess it up, it's not such a big deal. Fingers crossed!
    2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    So guessing it was you that outbid me. LOL
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • BC6
    BC6 Posts: 109
    Well bummer. Someone wanted them more than I did. Based on what I read here, I didn’t want to go higher than $300. I went up to $390, but still was outbid. I’d still like a project. If anyone hears about any old SDAs for sale in the Denver area, let me know.
    2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.
  • oldrocker

Might have to talk to you about that repair guy once the stuff gets here in a few weeks. As stated earlier, NO clue on tubes at all but I do like the sound of the few I've heard and that look of glowing tubes for me Priceless!!

• VSAT88
    I can say one word. Fisher. a fisher 500C is about as nice as it gets. Excellent receiver and you can still get em pretty damn reasonable. Don't like that ?? Dynaco ST 70.