Integrated turned on side

Options
I scored a Yamaha rs500 for a song on Ebay for the deck speakers and genera listening Boston Acoustics speakers. Anyway, any issues with placing the integrated like this out of the way:
hc9jvsyaxskt.jpeg

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
    I know nothing about this, but will the heat from your furnace cause any issues, since that vent is right there? I use a couple clear plastic vent deflectors here at the house to change the air direction.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I would bet it wouldn't keep as cool because the heat sinks are probably on the sides so now you have a heatsink between the floor and the side that can't get rid of it's heat as heat rises and now its heat flow is covered by components.

Would this be enough of an issue to cause problems? I don't know. Maybe you got it cheap enough to where "who cares?" Comes into play.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,032
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Sideways per se shouldn't be a problem unless there are any air vents on the side of the unit. If so, even that shouldn't be a problem if they can breathe. E.g., Raise the unit up a few inches on, say, a wire rack type of shelf. Put the P/S (transformer) side down - for best stability. :|

The unit is designed to cool by convection (from bottom to top) but, with adequate ventilation will likely be OK on its side (especially if run conservatively).
    You can always run it for an hour or so (ahem, conservatively) and just kind of feel it all over (whoo! baby!) and see if there are any untoward hot spots.

Plus, it wouldn't hurt to see if it says anything in the owner's manual about running it sideways ;)
    Heck, maybe an e-mail to customer support might not be a total waste of time(!?).

I thoroughly concur with the post above re: the HVAC duct -- be wary of that if it's heat as well as (or as opposed to) A/C.

r7ztzu5apvyt.png

• Nightfall
    Options
    Can't you lay it flat beside the heat vent with the controls facing the couch?

Maybe put it on a block of wood or something to get it off the floor and further away from the vent?

• mhardy6647
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ^^^ or hockey pucks. I have become a big fan of hockey pucks as spacers, feet, etc.

:)

ctx1nqpzxm5r.png
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    Great Sideways movie tie-in....one of my favorites. I didnt think about the heat issues....fortunately, or unfortunately this particular winter season, we are on electric heat pumps- which got nothin on the Midwestern gas fired furnaces of my youth. The heat generated by an electric heat pump is luke warm at best. Ill give it a go and see how hot the top gets. Being next to 2 two single pane glass windows might keep it cool enough.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    As Doc points out, it cools by convection, which isn't going to happen on its side.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    You could always ventilate the side...
    txicw6taivw7.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    The other problem could be, of course, a variation on the dreaded Taco Neck Syndrome.

https://youtu.be/CsGwPyrSNVE
  • Nightfall
    edited January 2018
    Options

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Would you want to be turned on your side all day? Huh? Wouldja?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    The electrons will leak out.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Would you want to be turned on your side all day? Huh? Wouldja?

There's probably a completely inappropriate yet supremely witty response, somewhere, to that query.

:|
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    Get some scrap 2 x 6's and make a shelf with them between the window sill and the arm of the chair/couch or just put the damn thing out on the deck.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Kev, the guys are right, don't do that. Your going to shorten the lifespan of that piece, unless you don't give a hoot. Just build a small shelf that goes over that floor duct, done. Heck, a couple bricks and a flat piece of wood or granite tile would work too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    How often are you going to be using it? I'm thinking it'll be just fine on it's side for occasional weekend deck music. My deck receiver has been living under much harsher circumstances than that for a few years now and it still work fine. Even in yesterdays bombtornado or whatever they hyped it to be it fired right up snowflakes and all.