What amp should I use for LSi25’s?

As you probably know I got some LSi25’s. I had a onkyo amp that could push 4 ohms and sounded pretty good with them, but it bit the dust yesterday (it wasn’t the speakers that caused it, I think they were just the last straw. It has been having problems for a while.) anyway, I now need a new amplifier. I can’t decide if I should go with a power amplifier, or get a 2 channel, or another avr that can push four ohms. Also, what wattage should I look for? I can only find maximum wattage ratings on the internet, no rms ratings. And then, what brands/models should I look for? I would love to get another Yamaha, onkyo, or Denon, as I have had good experiences with them in the past, but I’m okay with other options as well. I also need something that is high quality, and sounds good, and is relatively new (late 90s is as late as I want to go) I would prefer not to get a tube amp, just because they are more expensive and may not blend well with the types of music I listen to (classic jazz, classic rock, and (occasionally) hip hop). Unfortunately, I need this all for around $200, I would prefer not to go over that number. Thanks for any replies and help you guys can give me.

Micah

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    There isn't an AVR made that is truly capable of driving 4 ohm loads. The 4 ohm option simply limits current in an effort to save the AVR from damage. So, I've made your decision easier, you need a power amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Ok. Would a 2 channel amp (the kind with an a and b channel, where both are just left and right) work? I would prefer not to have to use a power amplifier because I can’t find any that are decent for a good price that aren’t a couple hundred watts.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited December 2017
    You will need a pre amp if you buy a power amp. Otherwise, you can use an AVR for the pre amp to go with a power amp. I'm afraid I have no suggestions in your price range.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mlistens03
    Is there really no AVR that you can buy that pushes four ohms, or is that just in this price range? I might be able to find a deal at one of the local flea markets to buy a higher end one, but if they don’t really push four ohms then it wouldn’t really work
  • mlistens03
    I already have my Yamaha rx-v665 that I can use as a preamp if I get a power amplifier, what I am asking is can I use a 2 channel like this amplifier: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/fuBZuqO5_h4RAlzDtCzRB_xzK7E=/fit-in/970x0/2013/09/13/8a2c158e-6de1-11e3-913e-14feb5ca9861/back_large.jpg
    This one is almost the same as the one I used to have that died yesterday
    Sorry, my question was not very clear.
    Micah
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I already have my Yamaha rx-v665 that I can use as a preamp if I get a power amplifier, what I am asking is can I use a 2 channel like this amplifier: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/fuBZuqO5_h4RAlzDtCzRB_xzK7E=/fit-in/970x0/2013/09/13/8a2c158e-6de1-11e3-913e-14feb5ca9861/back_large.jpg
    This one is almost the same as the one I used to have that died yesterday
    Sorry, my question was not very clear.
    Micah

No, and that's a big NO. That's a receiver, not an amplifier, and a very weak one at that. If that's what you used prior, or similar, that's why it's toast now.

You need an amplifier in conjunction with either a pre-amp or receiver with preouts. Then you'll need 2 rca cables to hook it up.

You have, in my view, too much speaker for the electronics you have to run it. This leaves you 2 choices. Sell them for some other speaker that is 8 ohm, or save your coin and buy a used amp. There is no work around to powering them correctly.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    This is one example of what you should be looking for.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649391951-parasound-hca1200-power-amp-205wpc/

You can also check your local craigslist, which city do you live in btw ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • acmf74
    acmf74 Posts: 936
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Is there really no AVR that you can buy that pushes four ohms, or is that just in this price range? I might be able to find a deal at one of the local flea markets to buy a higher end one, but if they don’t really push four ohms then it wouldn’t really work

I have Adcom GFR-700 AVR and it pushed my lsi15's wonderfully.
  • mlistens03
    SORry, I meant I will use that as my preamp, not my real amp. And ok, so that onkyo (or a similar amplifier) won’t work. I only drove each speaker for a short period of time with either of those amps, because one died (finally) and one you guys said was not sufficient, so I haven’t used it since. So I’m going to leave them sitting, and for now I’m going to save up. Until then I’m going to use some Boston speakers. I will check out that amp you linked. Also, those infinity speakers are apparently worth a good bit more than I thought so that brings my max price to about 400-500 dollars. Thank you all so much for your help, if you have any other suggestions please let me know.
    Micah
  • mlistens03
    Also, I forgot to mention this before, I live in the Orlando FL area.
  • mlistens03
    Anonymouse how much would you want for it?