lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    rtiwvhegp11d.jpg

Not one bad song on the album...
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Jeez, tough crowd on Dire Straits.... Lol
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    This thread has really made me realize how few truly great (complete) albums there are.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• dromunds
    Or at least realize the truth of the saying, "You can get some of the people to agree part of the time, or part of the people to agree all of the time, but you can never get all of the people to agree all of the time ...."
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,925
    edited December 2017
    dromunds wrote: »
    Jeez, tough crowd on Dire Straits.... Lol

what?! I love that rekkid -- just not 100.000% of the songs. :)

daddyjt wrote: »
    This thread has really made me realize how few truly great (complete) albums there are.

I think this is absolutely true! In fact (and in full disclosure):

I think Enrwistle's song My Wife on Who's Next, while good, and funny, and well done -- isn't quite up to the rest of the material on that album. This says more about the rest of that album than it does about My Wife, though!

Similarly (and I know many will disagree!!!) I'll acknowledge that Attics of My Life on American Beauty is well-written, but relative to the other material on that album (which is utterly transcendent), I find it something of a soporific :|

Heck, I was half-tempted to put aoxomoxoa on my list -- but What's Become of the Baby?, especially on the remix, is a bit of an acquired taste. Supposedly, nitrous helps a lot.

The original mix of aoxomoxoa, perhaps paradoxically, presents, IMO, a much more interesting mix/arrangement of What's Become of the Baby?. The average level of weirdness of the original mix, however, is higher than that of the remix.

That's not entirely a bad thing, though.

1i23qdji5k2s.png
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks "Magical Misery Tour" was way better the the "Sarge"?

I just finished listening to all of The Beatles albums. Although I would consider "A Day in the Life" as possibly their best song, at least half of "Sergeant Pepper's" would fall under the category of "lesser" Beatles music in my non-humble opinion.

I was surprised at how much of "The Magical Mystery Tour" I knew and liked and I thought the same thing you did. Both "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver" were hit-and-miss for me too.

"The Beatles" (the white album) was too experimental for me and I like only 5 of those songs.

The album that I thought was the most consistent and chock-full of familiar and great music was "Abbey Road". That would be my pick for best Beatles album.

All-in-all, they have a massive catalog of excellent songs and when compared to so many bands throughout the rock era that have released albums that only have 2 or 3 good songs maximum, if that, their history is staggering.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    This isn't an Album pick of mine but I just came across this video that kind of fits the OP. It is fun to watch and listen to the fitting lyrics too.
    I didn't know Jeannie had it in her. :p
    https://youtu.be/-zubSe9OgNI
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    Yeah -- Abbey Road is superb. I managed somehow to forget that one, too :/
    although... Octopus's Garden... mmm...

Speaking of Abbey Road... if you've never seen this (which I realize is unlikely as it's been around for a while and if you care about such things)... you might ought to.

https://youtu.be/HkxI0e0tOM0
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I love "Let it Be... Naked!" which removes all of the Phil Spectre BS and gets back to the music itself. If you don't have a copy, get it. As good to me as Abbey Road.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Yeah -- Abbey Road is superb. I managed somehow to forget that one, too :/
    although... Octopus's Garden... mmm...

Speaking of Abbey Road... if you've never seen this (which I realize is unlikely as it's been around for a while and if you care about such things)... you might ought to.

https://youtu.be/HkxI0e0tOM0

Those guys are GREAT !
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    You slackers... ;)

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    vj195cqej9mw.jpg

I like everything on it.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    nbrowser wrote: »
    rhnqw1az1qtm.jpg

+1. Awesome album all the way through.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Thorton wrote: »
    +1. Awesome album all the way through.

I am only familiar with the songs on Side 1, but every one of those songs is great. I would say the same thing about the first Van Halen album. (Except that I know all of the songs on Side 2 of that.) :p
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Bridge of Sighs?
  • Tony M
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Bridge of Sighs?

I spent a lot of hours driving out in the country roads of VA. smokin and listening to this on the 8 track deck in my car. My older brother turned me on to Robin Trower. I had a killer sound system in all of my cars back then in 76 or so and later years. Installed them myself. I was known for good installations and did a few for friends too. Good ol days !
    https://youtu.be/0tLsFsGxLmE
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Tool is playing here in Columbus @ Rock On The Range.
    I saw Hole open up for Tool, I saw Bread open up for Meatloaf, and I saw The Doors open up for Bad Company.

Yep, some of us got it right away. Crafty you are.
  • mhardy6647
    I'll cast another vote for Every Picture Tells a Story. :)
    Heck of a rekkid. Almost amazing considering some of Rod the Mod's later... output ;)

If there's a more perfect song than Mandolin Wind, I don't think that I've heard it.
  • dromunds
    I know this was mentioned previously, but I just put this SACD on, mostly because I play it periodically and often at the end of the year. One can really appreciate on SACD the genius of Yes at this period, especially I Get Up I Get Down, as well as the intro to And You and I. The complex and layered vocals and instrumentation sound great on SACD. There aren't too many albums that have held up for me for forty years, this one has. So has Hendrix's Are You Experienced, also mentioned. And Dire Straits ST, (LOL).

mj78jxd3gwny.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    OK, two Close to the Edge posts is gonna draw me out! :)

So, when I was in high school/college, I really liked Yes. I will still admit to considerable admiration for them -- they were all excellent musicians and they were certainly ambitious. I remember a review of The Yes Album I read (when it was new) that said "sometimes that ambition borders on pretension" -- and boy howdy (IMO) was that prescient.

Close to the Edge, for me, was that point in spacetime where Yes was driving fast up the back vertebrae of the shark. They hadn't jumped it yet, but they were poised to. And You and I is fabulous. Just fabulous. From the first split second (the studio cue-up) to that last, rising pitch -- it's a tour de force.

But the rest of that album is right on the precipice to me. The other two tracks get no playtime here any more. Just too much "too much" for me.

Sorry! :blush:
  • dromunds
    No need to apologize, music is inherently subjective. I used to write record reviews in my younger days for various periodicals and for several record companies for promo their material. Eventually I ceased doing so because of a hang-up I developed concerning the inherent subjectivity of music. (I've since ameliorated that "viewpoint" Lol). I recall being sent several advance copies of albums by record companies that upon initial hearing I just couldn't stand. One was Queen's self-titled album. Another was Burnin' by The Wailers. Especially the Queen album, I thought, "What is this sheet?" Then, a short time later, I took another listen. I couldn't believe I had thought the album was sheet. Same with Burnin'. We had a party, and a real-life Playboy bunny showed up. She was looking through the albums and said, "Oh, you've got some Bob Marley!" She asked to put it on. I couldn't believe I had thought so little of it when it played previously, had nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that a Playboy bunny had selected it. >:) When Brothers In Arms came out, I was sent the album for review. I thought it was a near-perfect album. The only song I couldn't stand was the "I Want My MTV." Somehow, that was the one song everybody else seemed to worship. Same with Bob Marley's Exodus, that was the one song I couldn't stand, but everybody else worshipped it to the exclusion of everything else on the album. I couldn't stand Bob Dylan when I was a kid, now I refer to him as "the Great One." When I was a kid, I thought MC5's "Back In The USA" was the perfect album. Now, it hasn't held up - of course - with the exception of several songs. I don't listen to Close To The Edge very often simply because I've played it too much in the past. Same with Sgt. Peppers. But periodically I put them on, and I again appreciate their genius. Subjectively, of course. I can put Are You Experienced on anytime, however. Lol.
  • mhardy6647
    Same with Burnin'. We had a party, and a real-life Playboy bunny showed up. She was looking through the albums and said, "Oh, you've got some Bob Marley!" She asked to put it on. I couldn't believe I had thought so little of it when it played previously, had nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that a Playboy bunny had selected it. >:)
    Great stuff! :)

And I am right there with you with respect to Mr. Zimmerman. Of course, he's deliberately enigmatic. The last thing he seems to want is for anyone to pin him down.

I find myself listening less and less to the dinosaurs myself -- I think I prefer to hold some of that music as memories. I can still listen to most Dead (for whatever reason) and, at my advanced ;) age I find myself listening more and more to what I think is referred to as Americana... even though a lot of what I like isn't,
    technically, from America nor by Americans. :p

Speaking of which... :)

https://youtu.be/ElWkcqF0VE8

Their arrangement left me thinkin' impure thoughts about their footwear... :)

• dromunds
    I'm sure that you are aware Mark Knofler thinks the world of Ruth Moody, and she sings on his last several solo albums. B) Speaking of the Dead, that's a band for whatever reason I just could never listen to. However, I think Jerry Garcia does the absolute best Dylan covers I've ever heard.
  • Tony M
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I'll cast another vote for Every Picture Tells a Story. :)
    Heck of a rekkid. Almost amazing considering some of Rod the Mod's later... output ;)

If there's a more perfect song than Mandolin Wind, I don't think that I've heard it.

That is a GREAT song !
    https://youtu.be/3xlo1NvEdAw
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Tom Petty "Wildflowers"