Sony TA-N9000ES power amp went in protection mode

adb3da
adb3da Posts: 506
edited January 2014 in Electronics
My Sony TA-N9000ES 5 channel amp went into protection mode today. I think it got too hot in my poorly ventilated cabinet. I want to try leaving the door open while I use it. Is there any way to get this thing out of protection without taking it in to a tech? Any help would be great, I'm stranded at the moment!
Post edited by adb3da on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited August 2013
    Unplug it and let it sit for awhile. Cabinets are the absolute worst for electronics. I know they look spiffy and nice, but audio electronics need to breath.
    Not sure if there is any fuses on that model, but check anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    edited August 2013
    I found this....might be helpful....

"The amp I use for my home theater setup (not my primary listening rig) is a Sony TA-E9000ES. Yesterday, I cranked it on and the standby led started flashing indicating protect mode. I disconnect every input and output to confirm there was no shorts across any of the speaker outputs etc. The problem remained. After doing some digging, I came to discover that the common fault in this amp that causes this symptom are 1 of two resistors on the main amplifier pcb, R220 and R221. Both are 1 watt 1 ohm resistors. I measured them in place (which could effect the measurement of course) and found them to be nominally 1.5 ohms. Is it even plausible that a .5 ohm drift (granted, its a huge drift out of tolerance) could cause this thing to go in to protect mode?"
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • adb3da
    edited August 2013
    halo71 wrote: »
    I found this....might be helpful....

"The amp I use for my home theater setup (not my primary listening rig) is a Sony TA-E9000ES. Yesterday, I cranked it on and the standby led started flashing indicating protect mode. I disconnect every input and output to confirm there was no shorts across any of the speaker outputs etc. The problem remained. After doing some digging, I came to discover that the common fault in this amp that causes this symptom are 1 of two resistors on the main amplifier pcb, R220 and R221. Both are 1 watt 1 ohm resistors. I measured them in place (which could effect the measurement of course) and found them to be nominally 1.5 ohms. Is it even plausible that a .5 ohm drift (granted, its a huge drift out of tolerance) could cause this thing to go in to protect mode?"

Thanks, where did you find this? I wonder if replacing those two resistors would get it out of protection?
  • adb3da
    edited August 2013
    Actually, don't worry about it. I found that thread on diy audio. Unfortunately no replies or follow ups. I'll keep digging the interwebs!
  • Glen B
    Glen B Posts: 269
    edited August 2013
    R220 and R221 in the TA-N9000ES are 1W fuse resistors in the protection circuit. E-mail me if you want a copy of the service manual.
    Main System: Denon DP-59L | Audio-Technica AT33EV | Marantz SA-11S2 | Classe DR-10 | Classe CA-300 | Classe RC-1 | PSB Stratus Gold i's | DIY Balanced AC Power Conditioner | Acoustic Zen and NeoTech cables | Oyaide and Furutech power connectors | Dedicated 20A isolated ground line.

Home Theater: Toshiba D-VR5SU | Laptop #1 |Outlaw Audio OAW3 wireless audio system | Marantz SR-19 | Phase Linear 400 Series 2, modified | AudioSource 10.1 EQ (for subs) | Axiom M3 v3’s | Axiom VP150 | Optimus PRO-X55AVs | Dayton 12” powered subs (x2) | Belkin PureAV PF-60 line conditioner.

Party System: Laptop #2 | Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC | Technics SU-A6 | Acurus A-250 | Radio Shack 15-band EQ | Pioneer SR-9 reverb | Cerwin Vega DX9's | Dayton 100° x 60° horns with titanium HF/MF compression drivers.
  • adb3da
    edited August 2013
    Glen B wrote: »
    R220 and R221 in the TA-N9000ES are 1W fuse resistors in the protection circuit. E-mail me if you want a copy of the service manual.

Thanks for the offer but I found that as well. It took a while, but I located those two resistors and have the amp pulled apart to replace them. I also found a place to order the parts. I'm leaving in a few days so I will have to get to this later. Debating on attempting the solder job myself or getting someone more experienced to do it.
  • mr3klax
    mr3klax Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    Hello. I just joined. My SONY TA-N9000ES goes into protect mode too! Just want to ask if anyone had success in resurrecting their Sony by just replacing the 2 above-mentioned resistors. Thank you very much for any help.
  • adb3da
    edited January 2014
    mr3klax wrote: »
    Hello. I just joined. My SONY TA-N9000ES goes into protect mode too! Just want to ask if anyone had success in resurrecting their Sony by just replacing the 2 above-mentioned resistors. Thank you very much for any help.

I have not gotten around to doing this but it's on my list of things to get done. I found the part online but I haven't ordered it yet. I hope to get it done in the next month or so, but I am going to have someone else do the soldering for me. I did take the top and bottom covers off and was able to locate them. They seems accessible enough for anyone with decent soldering skills.
  • bollio
    bollio Posts: 1
    So it's a REALLY old thread, but it's one of the few results that come up regarding this. Since no one has posted an actually result to the standby blinking issue I thought I'd share my experience.

I was getting the issue above and figured I'd put a multimeter on the resistors suggested as the problem. Sure enough one was done for (one was showing 1ohm, but the other wasn't showing any resistance). I went to frys electronic around the corner and picked up a pair of 1w 1 ohm resistors for $1.50 and replaced both resisters at r220 and r221, may as well do em both if they're a weak point.

Somehow didn't end up with any extra screws when I put it all back together (always a good sign). Powered the amp up and it started blinking... But this time it stopped after the normal warmup period! Hooked it all up and tested it out and I'm pleased to report this did actually fix the issue!
  • In my case, r220 was open (no continuity). R221 tested OK, but as bollio suggests, might as well replace them both as long as you're there since both seem to be problematic. Back in business...
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Those are nice amps. I drooled over them when they had them in the Sony family store, just never had the coin to get one.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    mrloren wrote: »
    ....just never had the coin to get one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZYozMeo7dQ