Bookshelf speaker recommendation?

Hi,

I'm setting up a home theater system and I just installed the following in-wall Polk speakers for the left, center, and right channels: 1 x 255c-RT (center), 2 x 265-RT (left and right).

I would like to add speakers for the rear surrounds, but I also want to use these as stereo speakers an analog audio system (turntable, valve amp). I was thinking of buying bookshelf speakers that could serve both purposes. Which Polk bookshelf speakers would you recommend that are timbre balanced with the left, center, and right speakers?

Thanks!

Nigel

Answers

• sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    Polk says your in-wall speakers are timbre-matched to the RTi A series. So, there's the RTi A1 and RTi A3 for books. But, I just want to make sure I understand the question correctly. You want the rear speakers in your HT to double as an analog stereo set-up strictly for music listening purposes? In which case, would you then turn the furniture around to face the rear?
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • Correct. I want to share the surround rears with an analog audio system. The room is quite large (30' x 20'), so the analog system has a separate seating area. My only concern is whether the RTi As will be powerful enough for this space. I'm guessing they'll be adequate as surrounds, but what about for the analog system?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    With the right amplification, the RTi A3 would be quite powerful.

How will you have the speakers physically connected to the surround receiver as well as a 2 channel amplifier at the same time?
  • That's good to know. Thank you.

The idea would be to have some sort of A/B switch.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    What kind of tube amplifier were you looking at getting to use with your analog setup?
    nigels wrote: »
    That's good to know. Thank you.

The idea would be to have some sort of A/B switch.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I think the S20s would be close enough as surrounds, and the general verdict here on the forum is that they have a smoother top to bottom response than the rtia3s making them a more musical speaker. I would consider them!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    What kind of tube amplifier were you looking at getting to use with your analog setup?

I've not decided yet. I'm thinking of starting with something low-medium cost to start with and then upgrading as I learn more about what works in this space. The room is acoustically bright, so a warmer sound is probably essential. Do you have any recommendations?
  • rooftop59 wrote: »
    I think the S20s would be close enough as surrounds, and the general verdict here on the forum is that they have a smoother top to bottom response than the rtia3s making them a more musical speaker. I would consider them!

Thank you. This is really quite helpful. I'm loving the 255c-RT and 265-RTs as LCR speakers, and can't wait to see what difference decent rear surrounds will make.