Upgrade for Joule Electra LA-100

I have been lurking here for the wealth of information about Joule Electra products, so I finally joined. I am the second owner of the the original version of the LA-100 (S/N 041). This has dual balance controls and no remote volume. I’ve had it since 2010. I inquired about possible upgrades and was told that there is no upgrade path for this model. Now that Jud has retired and shut down the factory, I thought I would check here to see what others have done with this preamp. I have replaced all the tubes and it works perfectly. I have heard that it isn’t too hard to fit a motorized volume pot to this one. I would look into that, and any other mods, but I thought I’d check here to learn if maybe I’d be better off trading up. Any thoughts?

Mike

Best Answers

Answers

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Thanks, F1. I recently bought a pair of OA-2 tubes from Rich. Took care of an intermittent dropout of the left channel. He said he cannot remember the last original LA-100 that came into his shop. Also didn’t share any ideas regarding upgrades, other than tubes. I like the sound of this preamp and it blew away my prior one when I put it in, so maybe if it ain’t broke... I seem to recall a post stating that a motorized pot from Bent Audio would work. Thanks again.
  • maxward
    Thanks, tonyb. No mods done to yours?

Mike
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Ha, I've still got a boxes of OA2's and 13EM7's (which Jud used at times instead of the 6EM7) around here. None of those tubes are hard to find, they are old radio tubes. Be aware, the OA2 has radioactive gas inside, so don't break one.

You might get John at Bent to sell you a kit, but he generally doesn't offer them anymore. I can tell you this, it would be considerably better than what Jud used.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• maxward
    Thanks. It looks good. I was thinking of selling to buy a Schiit Freya to get a remote, but I’m concerned that the SQ wouldn’t be there. May give this a try.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I recently modded my Joule with a Butler 2250 amp and was amazed at the way the soundstage grew.
  • maxward
    I understand the Butler is a great amp.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I recently modded my Joule with a Butler 2250 amp and was amazed at the way the soundstage grew.

LMAO...told ya bro, great match.

No, no mods to my Joule, just a fresh re tube in all positions. I have nos. rca's in there from Brent Jesse.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • joosoof
    joosoof Posts: 2
    I bought a used LA-100.
    The owner told me that the gain is not a volume, but it is a 2-way switch to set low and high gain.
    I have seen some videos online that the user was controlling the volume via the gain knob.
    On mine, it just clicks in 2 positions.
    Do you know if it is supposed to be a potentiometer or a 2-way switch?
    Thanks,
    Yu
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    This link should help, https://sigsound.com/classic-product-info/joule-electra-info-page/

the gain as I remember it is a pot.
  • kharp1
    Mine is a mkiii and it has no gain control on the front panel. There is a gain jumper inside mine...the top has to be removed.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Following this thread! :wink:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • kharp1
    verb wrote: »
    Following this thread! :wink:

You'll follow anything because you're a junkie :)
  • maxward
    I learned something today....don’t ask a question. Lots of emails showed up.
  • kharp1
    maxward wrote: »
    I learned something today....don’t ask a question. Lots of emails showed up.

Just go in to the settings and change your notifications. Problem solved.
  • maxward
    Thank yewww! I’m wondering if @joosoof is getting his question answered.