*NEED HELP* System for a friend

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
edited December 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
A buddy of mine is asking for my help with upgrading his setup. He's old school and has everything on CD with no intent to go digital. He'd "like" to be able to send stuff from his phone/tablet/laptop to this system, but thats not a dealbreaker if its not there.

He's also "kinda" budget limited in that he wants to spend somewhere between 500-700 and he needs a simple integrated, and a 5 disc CD player.

Some things to note. He's not looking for TOTL performance, just a GOOD upgrade from his boom box type system from the 90's :smile:. He went into Best Buy and they tried to sell him on some stuff, and I said "I can likely do better if your OK with used".

Alternately he's not AGAINST buying the Signature 50's or 60's, I just know there are some better used speakers here that would beat the pants off those ones.

Since he's NOT local to my anymore (he's in West Virginia not Indiana), I am suggesting he go with a integrated and cd player from Accessories4less so they are manufacture refurbs (so used), but still carry a warranty should there be issues within the first year.

So I went and found him what I considered to be good decent performers.

Stereo: YAMAHA R-N402
12262.Jpg

CD Player: INTEGRA CDC-3.4
13130.Jpg

So that was IMHO a good start. Now here's the kicker. Dave is still selling those LSi 25's for 375. I need to get up that way in the near future to snag the SDA's that TNTunes & Tonyb were gracious enough to Karma my way. Since I was up there, I could transport those back to Indy at the same time and let my buddy pick them up from me here in Indy when he's in town for Xmas.

I think they would be a DROP DEAD CANT BEAT speaker at that price, however I dont know if the Yamaha can handle them as they are a 4 ohm load, but the subs are powered. I've got 15's so I dont know if the 25's are a easier load since you've just got 2 mids and a tweeter to drive.

So I was hoping to either find out if thats NOT good enough, or if that would work. I also am open to other suggestions for speakers. He'd prefer TOWERS of some sort, within his budget.

I looked at the Polk eBay site and didn't really see anything spectacular, especially since Daves LSi's have been gone through by Polk so they should be good to go.

Thoughts appreciated.

I will be posting some pictures of where he plans to put these. Warning in advance: This is NOT a audiophile setup. He wont be toeing them in, will likely be placing them in a location that wont be ideal, and I'm working my best to fix that. He's also experiencing WAF for the first time :smile:.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited December 2017
    The 25s still have 9s on top, which present a pretty heavy load. Do NOT think that integrated will cut it. Why not a used rotel or B&k pre (even an ht pre like a refer nice 30 or 50) and a good used 2 channel amp?

I do agree that he will likely be blown away by those speakers and you can’t beat that deal. I would build around them...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • EndersShadow
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    The 25s still have 9s on top, which present a pretty heavy load. Do NOT think that integrated will cut it. Why not a used rotel or B&k pre (even an ht pre like a refer nice 30 or 50) and a good used 2 channel amp?

Because last thing I want is to have to be the middle man for all the gear :smile:. He also doesn't want a huge stack of gear out in the open, so I was hoping a stereo integrated would cut it "enough" for him.

Plus I wanted to go used with warranty to protect him as I dont wanna suggest a piece and then have it blow on him... which is also why I'm asking about the integrated with the LSi's :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • rooftop59
    edited December 2017
    No intergrated that is new or refurbished will drive those speakers within his budget. Sorry. If that’s the case go for the Signatures...

I mean heck, if he is coming from a 90s era shelf system then the T-50s with the equipment you listed would probably blow him away...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • EndersShadow
    No intergrated that is new or refurbished will drive those speakers within his budget. Sorry. If that’s the case go for the Signatures...

I mean heck, if he is coming from a 90s era shelf system then the T-50s with the equipment you listed would probably blow him away...

I know... but its me, so I wanna give him as much as I can with his budget....

I also debated just telling him to buy a Polk Woodborne and use the optical input from the CD player for it.

Its a much nicer piece than he's got and solves his problems easier....

But those are like 600 now due to low supply, and I just think we can do better...
  • rooftop59
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • EndersShadow

YEah.... I was also looking at the Magni Mini system from Polk w the CD player and that’s it.

The AudioEngines are an option, though I’d push him toward the A5+
  • EndersShadow
    oldrocker wrote: »
    pm sent

Haven’t got one

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited December 2017
    http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=WirelessMusicSystems&ProductId=MCR610

Edit - before you yell at me, find used ;)

Lotta birds killed with this stone.
    Squash the LSi dream...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • EndersShadow
    mrbiron wrote: »
    http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=WirelessMusicSystems&ProductId=MCR610

Edit - before you yell at me, find used ;)

Lotta birds killed with this stone.
    Squash the LSi dream...

That’s nice for sure but need multi disc..... I seriously half joked about finding an older 100 disc changer for the system.

I think he hes got near 1000 CDs

• rooftop59

YEah.... I was also looking at the Magni Mini system from Polk w the CD player and that’s it.

I would personally rather have the smaller monitors with the sub, its not like the bigger ones are full range either. But of course it depends on how many components your buddy wants...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • EndersShadow

I would personally rather have the smaller monitors with the sub, its not like the bigger ones are full range either. But of course it depends on how many components your buddy wants...

Yup and I”m not sure lol
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited December 2017
    Wow, Dan, I was just in Chicago picking up the Butler from Tonyb, I thought you had picked your stuff up a couple of months ago. Sorry, bud, I'd loved to have delivered your stuff.
  • EndersShadow
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Wow, Dan, I was just in Chicago picking up the Butler from Tonyb, I thought you had picked your stuff up a couple of months ago. Sorry, bud, I'd loved to have delivered your stuff.

No worries. I'm not in a huge rush to snag them, got a lot going on so I'm cool to wait....

I will be passing through your area on the 16th as Nik and I are meeting to finish the LSi deal and then I'm heading to drop something off at a buddies in Eberfeld IN....
  • EndersShadow
    Ok fella's, after talking to him on this for quite a bit we decided its best for him to go with a Polk Woodbourne. They are pretty pricey due to super low supply, but honestly, its got WAF, it means he doesn't need a integrated at all and just goes optical in from the 5 disc player (which can be hidden out of site).

He was planning on putting this in either his main room or dining room. His main room the speakers would block views of the built in they JUST finished up, so that wasnt going to happen.

In the dining room, the speakers would have sat ON or L/R of a credenza in the right rear corner and fired across the room but not down. This was the best he was going to get.

With the Polk, he can put the speaker on the credenza and angle it a bit and still get a "OK" soundstage. Also due to its smaller size, it can be relocated into the other room and sit ON the built in's and still provide decent sound there as well.

Also it does blutooth IIRC @deronb1 so he can send audio from his phone to it.

Not a super cheap solution, but one he and his wife can agree on and it should sound decent.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    CD is digital. Like black paint is black.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited December 2017
    Woodbourne is a solid choice if critical listening isn't on the menu and some form of i-music is.

I use one in LA that I picked up off CL when I can't let the big Polks stretch their legs or I just want a little background tunes while doing distracted stuff around the place like cooking or cleaning. I have not used it with anything but BT, but it does fill a decent sized room with enjoyable sound IMO. Not the last word in accuracy, but enjoyable.

It is damn nice looking too - I'm guessing the msrp is what prevented it from taking off and made them no longer a current offering.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• EndersShadow
    You nailed them on the head.

When we were first talking it was main room real stereo. After talking with his wife that became a negative.

His main room was ideal for the LSIs and IMHO they would have looked great.

But I think he will really like this new setup better and so will his wife which is all that matters.

Lots of music while playing board games, eating, hosting etc.