We will have to wait until the end of August 2018, but I will definitely be ordering these.

Two real Hendrix albums will finally be released on SACD (hybrid). I am hoping that Are You Experienced will be the European version as I like the track listing a little better. Also, I hope someone with extensive experience, knowledge, and taste will remaster these in DSD (i.e. Eddie Kramer needs to be involved). Everyone who likes Hendrix should pre-order these two albums when more information is given about the mastering. Like is below:

https://www.musicdirect.com/Search/specials/Preorder/artist/Hendrix?specials=Preorder&artist=Hendrix&category=Optical%20Disc&sort=popularity|DESC&page=1&pagesize=24&c1=tab-products&c2=grid
Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee

Comments

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Just did a search and apparently Bernie Grundman is doing the DSD masterings for these hybrid SACD's. Bernie is a great mastering engineer and I would expect great results (Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge were excellent, IMO). This is a definite pre-order for me.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    headrott wrote: »
    I am hoping that Are You Experienced will be the European version as I like the track listing a little better.

The original UK/International version is missing "Purple Haze", "Hey Joe", and "The Wind Cries Mary".

The original U.S. version is missing "Red House", "Can You See Me?", and "Remember".

I have seen versions that have all 14 tracks from these 2 versions PLUS "Highway Chile", "51st Anniversary", and "Stone Free".

Being a completist, I would prefer all 17 of those tracks, which is common in CD releases. As a matter of fact, Discogs lists over 270 different releases of this one Hendrix title alone! https://www.discogs.com/The-Jimi-Hendrix-Experience-Are-You-Experienced/master/24497

So far, the only track listing I have found for this SACD is the original U.S. version, although that may not be reflective of what songs will actually be included.
  • headrott
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I am hoping that Are You Experienced will be the European version as I like the track listing a little better.

The original UK/International version is missing "Purple Haze", "Hey Joe", and "The Wind Cries Mary".

The original U.S. version is missing "Red House", "Can You See Me?", and "Remember".

I have seen versions that have all 14 tracks from these 2 versions PLUS "Highway Chile", "51st Anniversary", and "Stone Free".

Being a completist, I would prefer all 17 of those tracks, which is common in CD releases. As a matter of fact, Discogs lists over 270 different releases of this one Hendrix title alone! https://www.discogs.com/The-Jimi-Hendrix-Experience-Are-You-Experienced/master/24497

So far, the only track listing I have found for this SACD is the original U.S. version, although that may not be reflective of what songs will actually be included.

You are correct @Viking64. My mistake. I was thinking that the European version had all tracks (but it was the 60's, a la The Beatles). That is the version I was thinking of, apparently the hybrid of the EU and USA versions of the album with all 17 tracks (like the Japanese Mini LP).
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• Viking64
    edited December 2017
    You are correct @Viking64. My mistake. I was thinking that the European version had all tracks (but it was the 60's, a la The Beatles).

I found the same to be true with a few early Stones albums. :p
  • headrott
    Viking64 wrote: »
    You are correct @Viking64. My mistake. I was thinking that the European version had all tracks (but it was the 60's, a la The Beatles).

I found the same to be true with a few early Stones albums. :p

Speaking of the Stones, I just received the two hybrid SACD Japanese discs of Their Satanic Majesties Request. Disc one is Stereo, and Disc two is mono. They are remastered in 2017 (Stereo) and 2016 (Mono) by Bob Ludwig. The set comes in a 7 X 7 inch fold out set that has the 3D cover on it. The quality is very good. I have not listened to it yet, but have read the mastering is very nice. I'll report back after listening.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• Viking64
    Nice! I recently bought SACD's of "Hot Rocks", "More Hot Rocks", "Exile on Main Street", and "Some Girls". I also bought the DSD Remastered versions of the first 24 Stones studio albums. I think that only leaves one recent one that I don't have yet.

All sound great. The SACD's aren't as "loud", but I also can't play them in my "nicer" Yamaha Blu-Ray with the Burr-Brown 192Khz/32-bit DAC's. Although, the DSD remastered CD's sound just as good in my 2004 Sony SACD player as they do in my newer Yamaha Blu-Ray. Both using the exact same interconnects (Blue Jeans LC-1).

I have even done some A/B testing with "Some Girls" simultaneously playing the same song in both players. Other than the perceived volume level, I can't notice a difference in sound quality.

The bottom line is that both sound amazing compared to all of my redbook CD's. Even "remastered" titles.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    It's about frickin' time. The Wind Cries Mary is one of my all-time favorite songs, so unless the SACD is some hybrid with all 17 songs, I'm hoping for the US version. I should note that Bob Dylan once mentioned The Wind Cries Mary as one of his favorite songs also. B) Just finished reading an old Hendrix biography I had on the shelf, and its just amazing how much money was made/ is being made by everybody except Jimi and the band. The whole band was splitting one and a half percent of royalties IIRC. Got ripped off royally when the built Electric Ladyland Studios. It just went on and on, but then too even Dylan's manager alone took 50% of everything for himself.
  • Viking64
    That was the same situation with Elvis. His manager took 50% right off the top and all of the expenses for anything came out of Elvis' half.

About a year before he died, Colonel Parker convinced him to sell the publishing rights for Gladys Music, which included virtually every song he ever recorded, to RCA Records for (I think) 5 million. Once again, that slimy snake took half. So Elvis only got 2.5 million for the rights to virtually everything he ever recorded, which has since been estimated at a value of over ONE BILLION dollars. :o
  • Viking64
    Even though I plan to buy "Are You Experienced" and "Axis: Bold as Love" on SACD when they become available in August, today I decided to buy remastered versions of those, along with "Electric Ladyland".

Partly because I have only owned Hendrix compilations and no full albums. (As well as 5 or 6 DVD's.) Partly because my copy of "The Ultimate Experience" is 24-years-old and sounds merely adequate. And partly because my favorite Jimi song "If 6 Was 9" isn't on that comp and I can no longer listen to it on YouTube. :p

Hopefully Analogue Productions will give the same SACD treatment to "Electric Ladyland" and "The Cry of Love" in the near future.