Massdrop edition Sennheiser HD650's drop in six days for $249.99.

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Massdrop charges you once the items ship.
    I've been playing around with my 6xx's and can tell you, flat out, these are special.
    Never have i heard a headphone do this but my previous cans were anything but expensive.

Enjoy!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    mrbiron wrote: »

Yes.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I had some Senn HD650's then Amazon for what ever reason had the 750's for $300 so i bought them ...msg/Scott has the 650's now and can tell ya they are special and worth owning :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Senn 6xx is back at $199. I’m in.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited November 2017
    voltz wrote: »
    I had some Senn HD650's then Amazon for what ever reason had the 750's for $300 so i bought them ...msg/Scott has the 650's now and can tell ya they are special and worth owning :)

Indeed. I wasn't sure that I'd like open back headphones. Darryl was kind enough to send me the Senn HD650s and some Grados to check out. I like my music a little fatter, so the Senns were the better of the two for me, though the Grados were sweet with certain kinds of music. Comfort wise, the Senns.

Not convinced at the time that the HD650s were quite right for me - not to mention, Darryl's HD650s belonged to Darryl - I jumped on an Amazon deal on some Sennheiser HD598Cs last year sometime, I think, and I've been using those for a while, but find they're just-okay-comfortable for extended listening.

I'm finding that I have different preferences in headphones depending on the music, and I'm beginning to see how some of you guys have multiple sets of headphones (yipes).

I was listening again to the HD650s the other day, and it was a welcome return. They're more comfortable than the HD598Cs, and, while a little less bass being open vs closed back (the reason I opted for 598s), the HD650 is more natural sounding. Did I mention more comfortable?

Still curious about BeyerD's, and the ATH-MX50 for comparison, but for this Massdrop deal, presuming that sonically they're the same as the original Sennheiser HD650s, it's a great opportunity to get into 650s if you don't have a Darryl. I'm considering a pair as well so that Darryl can someday have his 650s back for when he gets his second pair of ears installed B)
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Mass drop edition Sennheiser HD6XX back on sale for $199. Scheduled to ship sometime in March 2018. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • mrbiron
    msg wrote: »
    I'm finding that I have different preferences in headphones depending on the music, and I'm beginning to see how some of you guys have multiple sets of headphones (yipes).

I do like both of my cans...headphones MSG...you perv :D
    I only have two sets because i bought the 6XX's on a whim and i wanted to see what the BH Crack can really do. Otherwise, i would have been perfectly fine the Fidelio X1's.

I will be ordering material, this week, to make a longer cord for the Senns. 10 feet would do the trick quite nicely...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

@AsSiMiLaTeD and @sucks2beme ...

Danny flips through headphones like a deck of cards, Keith hordes headphones

Both need meds :):p:D:D:D
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nspindel
    I definitely want to thank all y'all for introducing me to this massdrop thing. Not only am I in the drop for these Senns for $199, but I'm also getting the Eddie Current amp for $399 and also short and long Cardas cables for the Senns.

For anyone who bought these headphones, there's a great drop right now for Cardas cables. Compared to retail, I bought a 1.5m cable and got a 4.5m cable for free!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/cardas-premium-clear-light-headphone-cables
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • mrbiron
    I bought parts from Doug to make the same cable Aaron did. 12'. Cardas 1/4" male plug, cardas headphone pins, mogami wire, cardas solder, and techflex.

Don't know how it compares to the one on massdrop but I'm only into it for about $50+-.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    edited December 2017
    Aaron who? .... don't trust him.

My 6xx's have shipped! Should see them next Wednesday.

Oh - techflex - bad idea. It makes a ton of noise when it rubs across anything. I eventually removed all techflex from the ones that this "Aaron" built. He's a dufus...
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    ALL212 wrote: »
    Oh - techflex - bad idea. It makes a ton of noise when it rubs across anything. I eventually removed all techflex from the ones that this "Aaron" built. He's a dufus...
    Then i shall leave that off. ;) I did read that you weren't a fan but ended up buying it anyway because it was cheap.

The only item i am missing right now are my pants....cable pants.

I do have a question for you. I can't tell, from your photo, how you soldered the wires to the Cardas GRQSS. Any help there would be appreciated.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Any opinions, I haven't had a chance to give mine the once over yet? I am running them on the iFi Micro and it seems to have the power needed. When I have a chance I will see what they do on the P5 for a comparison.
  • ALL212
    Then i shall leave that off. ;) I did read that you weren't a fan but ended up buying it anyway because it was cheap.

The only item i am missing right now are my pants....cable pants.

I do have a question for you. I can't tell, from your photo, how you soldered the wires to the Cardas GRQSS. Any help there would be appreciated.

Techflex does look cool - no denying that! But put it on the floor and look at it from a chair - it'll sound much better.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/146855/diy-sennheiser-hd650-cable-build

Towards the bottom of this are some pics. Ya gots yor tip and ya gots yor ring and ya gots yor grounds.

You'll need an ohm meter also since the colors are two blues and two whites. In the connector you'll solder three areas and one of those is just to the barrel of the inside post. It can be done but you'll need 5 hands. One white goes to the outside of the inner barrel, one white to the inside connector of the inner barrel and the blues solder to the band near the bottom of the connector. (actually the colors don't matter at all but you'll need to know which one goes where) You'll also need some serious heat at that band area but if you over do it you'll melt stuff also. I also soldered some of the shield to the band area but you cut that off at the headphone end.

Solder those and worry about the headphone end later. I think tip is left (the very center connector) and ring is right (the outer barrel of the inner connector) and you'll need to ohm those out to see which goes where on the other end. If you fail to figure that out you have to wear the headphones backwards to get the imaging right.

Just holler when you get close. It's been awhile since I've done those. You'll need heatshrink to tidy stuff up but I have no idea what sizes.

As an alternative - I covered the pairs of wire going to the headphones with a silk cover (from some obscure Chinese website - I really have no clue where I got that stuff) but working those wires into that silk was a royal pain in the patooty.

hq7dcw6ujxqd.jpg

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    The Senn's 650's are like 300 ohms & they work very well with Headphone amps like the Bottlehead Crack which like 300+ ohms cans but does not like 32 ohms cans....or others that have a high low switch like most new Schiit headphone amps...
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • ALL212
    They have arrived!

Headclamp pressure is noticeable. They’ll break in.

Short 6’ cord but is designed for portable listening and gives me the excuse I don’t need to make a new one. However, this cable seems to sound better than the stock 650 cable I banned from my house.

Great sound!

Finish is not as nice as 650’s but build quality appears to be the same.

For the money these are excellent out of the box!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • nspindel
    650's have always had a tightness issue. A common thing to do to loosen them a bit is to put them over a few books or something thick like that, just to have them sitting spread apart for a while. Excellent time to be blasting them on some loop you have playing to break them in. 650's definitely need some break in time, like anything else.
  • mrbiron
    Short 6’ cord but is designed for portable listening and gives me the excuse I don’t need to make a new one. However, this cable seems to sound better than the stock 650 cable I banned from my house.

The exact reason why i am borrowing your design for a 10-12'.
    Don't make a new one yet, i havent finished/started the first one. My *pants just showed up yesterday.

*Don't know where they were but they look like they were ridden hard and put away unfolded. Stains galore!
  • ALL212
    edited December 2017
    *Don't know where they were but they look like they were ridden hard and put away unfolded. Stains galore!

Voltz wasn't wearing them was he? That would explain the stains...

I've got the wire, ends...and need to find my pants. Last I checked I had some. But no real start just yet. I found some cotton or silk sleaves but I have to figure out if I can use this stuff. It was put away for a reason and I don't remember why.

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    If you need a pair of pants, i had to buy a pack of (10). Only 9 left over which isn't so bad but am more than willing to mail a pair (washed of course). :/

If you recommend silk as an acceptable sleeving, i may look into it. Ok, i lied. I will NOT be looking into it as i just want to get it done.
    The wire construction will be completed at some point this weekend. Maybe a good christmas eave project aside from wrapping 1.35 million presents to help clutter the house.
  • ALL212
    There will be a slight delay in building mine. My speakers have mated and I need to give the babies attention.

ya4d7f5czwec.jpg

New ones are in the center. I'm going to move the spikes and binding posts.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    There will be a slight delay in building mine. My speakers have mated and I need to give the babies attention.

I bet the male speaker is a little upset noticing that the new "babies" are a different color...
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073

ya4d7f5czwec.jpg

New ones are in the center. I'm going to move the spikes and binding posts.
    Nice room! I really plan to spend a little more time in the Odyssey Audio room at AXPONA. I have been really liking the sound for the last several years. OMG, was the room sounding great last year. That's saying a lot given how big that show is.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • ALL212
    Klaus’ stuff is excellent and well worth the stop at AXPONA.

The babies are outrigger spiked now and WBT inputs moved over.

Gifts opened last night as two of my boys are working today so...

Cables created this am. Not sure if the covers are silk or cotton but the work. I used heat shrink for the pants as I needed something to hold the covers in place.

ViaBlue 1/4 plug at the amp and Furutech ends at the cans with Mogami W2534 in between.

Ya, the stock cable was better but not this good!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Pics - it did happen.

The guts of the Furutech just prior to putting the exterior on:
    hcr7ekyco1tq.jpg

Can ends:
    wqclutcjyooq.jpg

The Y:
    rdeeuegreomi.jpg

Overview:
    p95v1iplkbe5.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    Nice. At this point, the only tidbit I need to know is, when soldering to the 1/4 plug, which wire(s) goes where? Or does it matter. There is virtually no info on the web's for the Cardas plug.
  • ALL212
    "tip" is left and "ring" is right. I believe the very center pin will be tip and the outer sleeve is ring.

Here's a horrible pic from the web

ugotppd76xgm.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Great question Mark, and one that would have me stumped as well.
    If not for the insight above, would it be possible to determine this connectivity convention using a multimeter and the stock cable?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrbiron
    Great question Mark, and one that would have me stumped as well.
    If not for the insight above, would it be possible to determine this connectivity convention using a multimeter and the stock cable?

Let me know if you're going to try one of these cables. I can send you pants *snicker* and pieces of heatshrink as I ordered 2 boxes too many...

The order might have been the beer's fault.
  • mrbiron
    I made it...i'll tell you all about it later...
    It sucked...I rage quit for like 15 minutes...2 hour build...didn't document because of frustration levels pinging damn near suicide...

12:30am..... :angry: