What got me started...

It was a rig exactly like this that got me started with hi-fi. My neighbor sold it to me for $50 in 1975'ish. It came with 2 nice Fisher speakers as well:

ig37kqkta3xl.jpg
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Well, darn it...this was suppose to be posted in Vintage Stereo thread...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Had a similar experience with a Fisher combo system in the late 70s. Been up hill ever since then.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited November 2017
    You gotta love the old school record loader. Modern technology let you put 5-6 albums stacked on top. Then they will drop 6 inches on the spinning album under it. You didn't have to even leave the couch.

It must have been well ahead of its time! They don't make em like that today...... :wink:
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    delkal wrote: »
    You gotta love the old school record loader. Modern technology let you put 5-6 albums stacked on top. Then they will drop 6 inches on the spinning album under it. You didn't have to even leave the couch.

It must have been well ahead of its time! They don't make em like that today...... :wink:

There were even better record stackers, though, you know?

cybcwawbhuja.png
    brfqujuunqxt.png

https://youtu.be/uV66P8SzGlw

lpuz6ya9l4q1.png

https://youtu.be/8QK_dgAV5yA

:)
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I bought a Fisher Receiver and cassette deck and TT from a catalogue at work. It was a pretty nice set. I even made a custom wood tower to house them in. I still have the tower and TT.
    I should still have the receiver but tossed it after one of the capacitors leaked. The cassette decks solenoids quit working and a repairman said, no way to fix it. Part to fix it didn't exist anymore. I really liked that C. Deck and receiver too. I'll post a pick of the custom wood tower I made some day. I put a disassembled make-up mirror above the TT. Just the guts and lights and switch. I then covered it with a cut piece of that prismatic plexi-glass that went into a drop ceilings 2x4 grid.

A lot of people loved that custom tower over the years. Now it collecting dust in bowels of my man-cave with Rotel gear stuck in the slots where the Fisher rec. and C. deck were.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    My first cassette deck was a Pioneer CT-F500.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    IN 6th grade my parents bought my this: begr4abs8mhm.jpg

and then in 7th grade they bought me this: zpgab6cmdafl.jpg

Later in high and into college I mainly played live music, and that is where all my money when (guitars and amps). After being married a few years, my mom gave me $500 for my birthday. My wife said why don't you save up for a bose surround system? I thought that was an AWESOME idea, until I started researching and found out that people who know don't buy bose. So I bought a pair of Polk Monitor 30s, a CS1, and a PSW10. Its all been downhill from there, and my wife wishes she would have just let me buy a desk!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Cool "stackers"...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    George Grand sold me a pair of KLH 17's that he got from RuSsMaN in a bum deal. He also gave me a broken dbx CD player that I repaired.

That, along with an 8 watt per channel tube amp I built and an Oinker pre-amp and tuner separates I got from some lady selling off her husband's stuff in a divorce sale.

That was my start.

Unless you count the almost a decade of car stereo stuff I was doing prior to that.

That dbx CD player worked until last summer when I turned it on, heard an electrical *:SNAP:* and the entire front panel transport including the LCD screen stopped working.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    ^^^^^^
    I've owned that same JVC player for years.
    I like how it sounds and functions.

I have many CD players. I just felt like there hasn't been an urgent need to replace that one system's CD player with one of the many more expensive ones that I own.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    When I joined this forum, I had a Yamaha RX-v883 and a pair of Polk Monitor 50's...

My first setup was a Radio Shack all in one from 1982. My introduction to audio as a hobby were some Heathkit DIY gear that I watched my uncle make during the early 70's.

I could not even dream my experience with audio would have me building my very own set of tubes at the level they are, and a turntable of the caliber that resides in my rig.

This forum is directly responsible for the quality of my system, and with Thanksgiving just around the corner, I would like to say how grateful I am to all of you.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    I inherited this from my mother in the early 80's, and haven't looked back since. I ran it with some Jensen 6x9 triax car speakers in homemade boxes - man, I thought that system was cool:-)

eyomm143qejm.png
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• I started off with a Sears Silvertone suitcase mono record player that my sister's handed down to me.
    It was white, with a red interior and had a 5x7 speaker.
    From there, I got myself a Panasonic reciever with 3 round green & red dials that looked liked they belonged on the dash of a 65 Thunderbird.
    It had 6" full range "Air Suspension" speakers that I hung from my walls.
    Then Railroad Salvage had a sale on Clarion recievers and Webcor speakers, so that was mt first decent sounding rig.
    (It got blown up after a nasty beer spill)
    I finally saved up for an Onkyo A-5 integrated amp, Pioneer tuner and a CTF2121 cassette deck, matched with a pair of Bolivar speakers.
    That's a system I still wouldn't mind having again.
    There were 30 or 40 more after that..........................................
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    My journey began in 1982. Technics 45 wpc Reciever, dual cassette and linear tracking TT, mated to a pair of Bose 301s. I would record an album and then never play it again unless i had to. Still have most of the cassettes.