You're never too old...............

I just set up a system for my neighbors 95 year old uncle today.
This guy's sharp as a tack and doesn't look a day over 75.
He went over to a Best Buy last week and asked the saleman to "set him up with something nice".
His nephew, (my neighbor) knows I liked stereos and asked if I'd wire it up for him.
He had, for reasons unclear to me, brought home a giant Onkyo surround sound receiver, but only two Polk tower speakers. (sorry, I forgot to check the model #'s)
The speakers were quite tall, with rounded tops.
They had dual 6.5 woofers, made of some stiff, shiny material and dome tweeters and a nice magnetic grill.
I had the thing put together easily enough, using his old Technics turntable and a multi-disc CD player.
Then I programmed a few classical & jazz stations for him.
I put the remote away and just showed him the basic manual instructions, such as power on, volume and where the selector buttons were located.
I'm sure he would've gotten lost in that remote.
The system sounded great !
He gave me this old box full of assorted cables he'd moved up from Florida with, plus the old Onkyo, which I brought home, stripped down and cleaned thoroughly, then posted on Craig's cheap.
The old chipboard Kenwood three way speakers wenr right into the dumpster.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Thanks for sharing, enjoyed the read. I wonder why Best Buy suggested an AVR for a 2 channel setup.

Oh well, I'm sure it has a "pure direct" mode or something equivalent!

Now you know what to get him for Christmas, a new needle for his TT!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    That was a cool story.
    I hope when I'm 95, I'll be the one going over to somebodies house to hook up an old receiver for a young one. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Actually, I bought this guy a new needle years ago for that turntable.
    That's how I first met him.
    If I was asked to go with him on the buy, I would've picked a simple two channel set up, but hey, I wasn't going to rain on his parade.
    He was quite happy with the sound of it.
    I got a buyer coming over tomorrow for his old Onkyo.