Massdrop edition Sennheiser HD650's drop in six days for $249.99.

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I will be running mine with my guitar amplifier I guess lol.

If I have to get a new amp what is the most economical one that will make em sing?
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I will be running mine with my guitar amplifier I guess lol.

If I have to get a new amp what is the most economical one that will make em sing?

http://bottlehead.com/?product=crack-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit

They only take 4-6 weeks to ship so you have plenty of time to mull this one over. It will also give you time to practice your soldering.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • afterburnt
    How do yall think the P5 headphone stage will fare?
  • mrbiron
    Only a mere 7 days left.
    $3.5 million dollar payday to Sennheiser. Still holding my breath for another price drop....
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    the bottlehead crack is a great amp for these, as long as you aren't
    afraid of a little DIY

Bottlehead??!! Did someone say BOTTLEHEAD??? ;)

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Now on sale again for $199. Massdrop edition. Peace. Dx24km1oox356.png
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Can't wait for December to get mine.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • mrbiron
    agfrost wrote: »
    Can't wait for December to get mine.

Forgot i ordered these. Now the December surprise is out the window.
    I think i have plenty of time to forget.....again.....
  • mrbiron
    First shipment enroute per the email I received earlier today. Wonder where I am in the queue. I jumped on them pretty early...

Will have to watch the bank activity.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Can someone tell me what Massdrop is??? What does "Massdrop Made" mean when it's a Sennheiser headphone?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • mrbiron
    Massdrop is a website with various categories i.e., watches, audio, cooking, hobbyists, electronics, etc.
    What they do is contact companies that fall into each category, ask them to participate in a group buy. They start at retail pricing but at certain participation levels, drop the pricing to what is considered a "deal". One caveat being is you have to wait until the offer ends before shipping can take place. In the Sennheiser group buy, there were 15k+- people that participated. With a number like that, the backlog was pretty massive especially since the HD6XX wasn't the same mass produced HD600 that sennheiser has made for years.
    The "main guy" with massdrop will work with different headphone manufacturers to tweak an existing product ever so slightly making it a collaboration, thus the Massdrop Sennheiser HD6XX. The price that they are offering the HD6XX definitely falls into the "deal area".
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    I wish it was still available!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • mrbiron
    I just got my tracking number. Will have Friday 11/3.

It's more a Halloween present than an Xmas present...
  • agfrost
    mrbiron wrote: »
    I just got my tracking number. Will have Friday 11/3.

It's more a Halloween present than an Xmas present...

Ooh! (runs to check email...)
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
  • agfrost
    11/3 for me! Thought Christmas was the goal; happy to get them earlier!
    Jay
  • mrbiron
    AcTuAlLy!...Looks like tomorrow is my day. I think. Was located 20 miles down the road at 3am this morning departing for my local post office.

:blush:
  • mrbiron
    6en6y73ev1s1.jpg
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    What a tease! I shoulda,coulda,woulda. Keep us posted. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    This is just a crazy deal. I had a set of these for 12 years. At 200 smackers,
    hard to NOT order a set. I'm sure the massdrop deal will put a hurting on
    sales of the new hd-660 s. at this price it's the biggest bang for the buck out there.
    Everybody needs a good set of cans for those "don't wake up the wife" listening
    sessions.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mrbiron
    edited November 2017
    That session will begin tomorrow night.
    I'll warm up the Bottlehead Crack when I get home tomorrow afternoon. I haven't installed the speedball upgrade with the intent of getting a set of HD600s, hearing how they change over time, and then how they sound with an upgraded crack. Should be a loooong journey since im not really a headphone listener. Just couldnt pass up either opportunities.

Yay :D
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Use clean needles.
    Pass on hanging with Sheen.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrbiron
    msg wrote: »
    Use clean needles.
    Pass on hanging with Sheen.
    You, sir, do NOT know how to have a good time...
  • Mine should be arriving soon. I hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • agfrost
    These are very very nice. :D
    Jay
  • mrbiron
    How nice?....havent opened the box yet. Got caught up with family duties last night.
  • agfrost
    Order of magnitude better than my other (modest) headphones (Massdrop/HiFiMan HE-350, Sennheiser HD598C, Sennheiser HD555)--Better clarity, soundstage, better production of minor details within the recordings and more...

This comes listening to them simply out of my Pono player--haven't even plugged them into my (modest) amps (Schiit Asgard, Schiit Vali 2) yet.

Hope you like them as much as I do--probably more since yours will be on Crack! Just a screaming deal at $200. Anyone curious should jump on it if it gets offered again.
    Jay
  • mrbiron
    edited November 2017
    Well....I just fired up the crack, gave it about 5 minutes while I took a leak :D
    I think these are a little livelier/more detailed than my Fidelio X1's but I feel the vocals are a little laid back. That's my 4:51 first impression. Gotta long way to go...

First song played through them - Busty and the Bass - The Real

Initial disappointment would have to be cable length. I see a new one in the near future if i'm going to keep this up.

PC-WW Ultraviolet7-BDA2-Douglas Connection RCAs-Crack sans Speedball-HD6XX
  • mrbiron
    edited November 2017
    The HD6XXs are extremely light and comfortable. Had an hour yesterday to give them a spin. I really like the suspension headband that of the X1's more, but the headphones also feel heavier.

I think i may actually invest more time with these headphones for a bit...

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/146855/diy-sennheiser-hd650-cable-build
    Can the same cable be used on the HD6XXs?
  • afterburnt
    Was I already charged for these? I am assuming that this is how massdrop works, they get the money up front no?
  • afterburnt
    Well, the above question is moot. They arrived today so too late to cancel if I could have.