Curbside Rescue Project

xschop
xschop Posts: 4,636
edited October 2017 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I made a another set of the billet feet for a curbside find I'm about to customize.
Its a Kenwood KR-V6020 and the only thing I could find wrong with it was a broken headphone plug in the port....and 2 missing feet... After removing the plug with a fine set of needle nose pliers and checking the DC-offset per Audiokarma instructions, it works perfectly. I did De-Oxit all the controls...
g4zqpbedzqva.jpg
ik1pyrqphvmd.jpg

This faceplate is 1-piece anodized aluminum that I will make into a fine/brushed look and rehone some skills before I do this to a brand new onkyo CD player....
kd70od7cwex3.jpg

Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited October 2017
    Nice feet!

PS:

I'd have picked it up, too! :)
    i.e., you're as bad as I am ...
    repent, repent! While there's still time...

;)
  • xschop
    edited October 2017
    Free education as I've already learned Kenwood's methodology to their faceplate anodizing. Pleasantly surprised that the control signage is countersunk.
    I'll be doing another 15% CaOH bath. The center indention strip had a good buildup.
  • mhardy6647
    It's kind of impressively amazing that this piece had an aluminum faceplate (as opposed to gen-u-ine plastic made to resemble anodized aluminum)!
  • xschop
    And surprisingly a high quality alloy with no galvanic pitting. Makes my work much easier.
  • xschop
    The signage must be laser etched before the 2- step anodizing took place. I could easily polish this alloy to a mirror finish but it would ruin/elimimate the countersunk lettering....
    After 320 grit wet sand. I like the look.

x3peswrg7yy2.jpg
  • xschop
    I did the final polishing with a plastic polymer scrub pad....

ml8el9ttf65o.jpg
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Planning on a contrast for the laser etching?
  • xschop
    edited October 2017
    No, just the incognito look is appealing. I hope the Onkyo lettering is the same, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Looking more closely at the innards, they're all Elna caps...and no bulging tops.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    That's one way to get a silver faceplate.....I like it!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    F1, Thanks to you, a couple of my pieces have now been accosted by the butyl mat treatment. It really does stop the resonances and adds a solid feeling to the sheet metal. Also, you can never have enough bling...
    Even if you wont see it....
    44vndxiggfri.jpg
  • F1nut
    Accosted......that's a trigger word, I'm offended. :p

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Somehow I find that statement difficult to digest.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    F1nut wrote: »
    Accosted......that's a trigger word, I'm offended. :p

Quick! Go to your "safe place". :p
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Kind of has a Carver vibe to it now.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mhardy6647
    I wuz bein' facetious :/

but, that said -- actually, there are a pair of C-Vs here. They were given to us by some good friends and they served my son well in his high school years. They're just -- umm -- somewhere down in the basement at this point.

p732zjzkbn7w.png

Come to think of it, they were my first woofer refoaming experience :) Even went for the C-V red surrounds.

I do have to say (back on topic), the faceplate looks wonderful, but the knobs just aren't quite doing it for me... :/
  • xschop
    Just jesting myself. You're into horns, not knobs lol.
  • F1nut
    Horns....knobs, more trigger words. I'm telling.....ummmm, well someone.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Maybe some "High" yellow silk screened words would help.
  • xschop
    Looks like this was one of the better CD players from this era (DP-8020). I'll keep an eye out for one and make it match the receiver....

b2lb8ycd2vqg.png
  • xschop
    Nbrowser, I prefer the more subtle approach by offering the offended party a nice side of cheese and crackers.... to go with all that whine.
  • xschop
    Who said anything about feelings? I thought F1 was a bot.
  • xschop
    So he lives in his 1.3's... Now I understand hehe.
    He's a good sport. Funny too.
    I admire his uncanny ability to convey, ever so gingerly, that your project/modification is or will be a spectacular fail.
  • xschop
    edited November 2017
    First time setting idle adjustment...
    I found the service manual and it states to adjust idle current to 10mV for L-R channels.
    Upon initial reading both channels showed 4.5mV... Is this normal to be out of spec this far? And does changing/adjusting idle current change DC offset to where I'd have to recheck it at speaker terminals?

ake9bg0tdkki.png