New House With Existing Polk Speakers

Hello!

I moved into my first house and there is a pair of Polk speakers installed in the wall in the entertainment room. I was interested in learning more about them if anyone could help? Here's a closeup of one of the speakers:
rby9yq2h6zoy.jpg

I believe I found the connection (picture below). I wasn't familiar with this connection type, but after googling a bit, I believe it's an F connector (would love some verification on that if anyone knows?). Also, I noticed there are three connections but I only found two speakers in the wall. Does anyone know what the third connection might be?
ok87k7458ozh.jpg

I'm very new to the audio world and currently just use a soundbar with my TV. How would I go about connecting an amazon fire TV to these speakers? Would I need something else between the fire TV and the speakers?

Appreciate any help! Thanks!

Comments

• nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    Those are F coax connectors. IF those truly were wired to the speakers, the third one likely is just a cable connector for TV.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    If someone was using coax cable for speaker cable they had no idea what they were doing.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Go es'plore that house a bit more! It's yours now! :)
    Start by pulling that coax face plate off to see what's behind it!

I think those speakers' wires probably pop out somewhere else. You got attic access? Crawlspace?

How much money do you have, anyway? However much it is, if you hang out here for long, it'll be a lot less in short order. No matter what your plans or budget, you'll need a 200wpc amp and good cables. All speakers need to be timbre matched too.

Welcome to Club Polk :D
    I disabled signatures.
  • Wow, thanks for all the replies!

The only other connector I found in the room appears to be a single coax:
    9b7o6trk1mn6.jpg

I have no clue where else the could connect, the rest of the plugs are just electrical outlets.
  • Also, this is behind that three coax faceplate. Two appear to run up and one runs down.
    d67a7ju8gbxo.jpg
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited October 2017
    You will need to remove a speaker to see if they used coax for wire. You should be able to pry the metal cover off with a small blade and the mounting screws are along the outside edge of the front baffle and they should unscrew to move the keepers from behind the sheetrock. You should be able to see how they work with this photo.

tk9eg3b1i4ba.jpg
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Backside of the speaker:
    nnk87hlq36nr.jpg
    As far back as I can see it run:
    87pfhsgfxw01.jpg
  • F1nut
    At least that's speaker cable, not coax.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    The coax "IF" in good condition can be used for subwoofer LFE
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • So now I'm back to no clue where to actually plug these things in? haha :(

The crawlspace has ripped up insulation hanging down all over unfortunately, I'll have to start fixing that before I can get to where that cable runs down to. But, shouldn't there actually be somewhere to plug into inside?
  • msg
    Nothing else standing out, I presume? No other places with weird wires or faceplates, etc.? If nothing obvious there, then another room perhaps that might have housed a main system/AVR? Any panels, mantels, etc.?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Nope, nothing else in the room besides those two coax plates and some electrical outlets. I did find this in a closet in the room next to it at the top of one of the walls, no clue what it is. Does this seem like anything related?
    f9pk9mh2hqvr.jpg
  • F1nut
    That looks like a door bell solenoid.

President of Club Polk

• TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    This might provide some info about the speakers for you.

forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/166218/tl-upgrade-for-ab700-800

Possibly AB700's???

fd7cfet0b9ta.png

Here's the Polk AB brochure that might show them

ijowcgsxt4it.jpg

kt13xnrgmo7i.jpg

apsh2brbl3pb.jpg

typk5tfrkfza.jpg

wdl93h4s9121.jpg
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    my thoughts were AB700 as well. Remove the grills and post another pic and we can figure this out.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    my thoughts were AB700 as well. Remove the grills and post another pic and we can figure this out.
    If you zoom in on his one pic, the driver is labeled MW6512, but I think what he's really looking for is the other end of the connection. It was most likely a diy homeowner job, since that wire doesn't look to be the typical in-wall type.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Seeing how that doorbell plate was spray painted over, I'll bet a $1 that some home fixer upper pushed the stray speaker wire ends that hooked up to a receiver back into the wall and SPACKLED over the opening and then repainted that room. I'll bet that's what happened !
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    look on room on other side of wall from where the wall speakers are.
    Near the baseboard, look for if the drywall was patched etc.
  • K_M
    4hvd963t1se3.jpg
    not much to see, does the wire move if you pull on it?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Considering that isn't an exterior wall, it's possible that the gear that powered those speakers was on the opposite side of that wall. It's also possible that there is money hidden in there somewhere. $$$$
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Wow... that wire looks jacked. What a dilemma. Maybe you should start over from scratch with new wire. I feel your pain.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • K_M
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Considering that isn't an exterior wall, it's possible that the gear that powered those speakers was on the opposite side of that wall. It's also possible that there is money hidden in there somewhere. $$$$

....Or run up to the attic, and cut off maybe...
  • msg
    edited October 2017
    See?
    Toldja it wouldn't be long before we started spending your money.

Those speakers could probably use a crossover rebuild, I think. Probably not, but might as well while you're in there.

But yeah, just run new.
    I'm outside grillin', Voltz style, 'cept with cheaper meat an no dinner rolls, havin' a beer and may have missed this/forgotten - you got any gear yet? Slap some new wire on, hook up an AVR and a sub and get to rockin', man. You got a new house, and the stereo is the first order of business after making sure you can wash your underwears!*
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    *depending on who you talk to.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    Is there a basement or crawl space? Perhaps the wire drops down and goes across the room or another room where it connected up to some audio equipment. Most likely to the other side of the room where it was possibly patched up and painted. It’s pretty easy to pull the grill off without actually removing the speaker from the wall. I have a set of rears that are somewhat similar and had the room wired up during house construction with the wires running in the ceiling across to the other side of the room but didn’t actually pull them through until I was ready to install the speakers.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    #1 you are going to need to run in-wall rated CL2 speaker wire. you homeowners insurance might void you if something happens and they see that radio shack wire.

#2 look like some getto DYI guy tried to run some AV setup on a low budget. I would call an electrician or find someone who knows about wiring before you have a problem

#3 Yes you are going to have to spend some money to get it up to snuff.

Yes it does look like the must have cut the wires and covered the holes. Plain radio shack wire coming out of the wall it would not have passed inspection for the sale.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music