Anyone know anything about Powerstroke engines?

I just purchased my second Ford diesel (but the first is a 93 Ford 6610 tractor) last Thursday. It's a 2012 F-350 XL Crew cab, long bed, FX4 with 137k on the 6.7L diesel engine. The guy I purchased it from originally purchased the truck less than a year ago and put about 8k miles on it. It was a company oilfield truck prior to that. Conveniently, after I bought it, he told me that sometimes the CEL comes on and it's because of the coolant sensor. He made it sound like it was a bad sensor, but it seems that there's a leak somewhere. The CEL came on, it said P026A. The coolant level was low in the radiator itself (there's another reservoir for a separate system as well). Since Friday, I've added over 2 gallons and I haven't been driving that much, but no obvious leaks or anything on the ground. Some of that was definitely because it was low, but it seems to be eating it up unless there was a huge air bubble. I added more this morning when the CEL came on again. Same code, topped it off, cleared code, now it's fine. The temperature gauge has never really fluctuated. For right now, I'm just driving the truck back and forth to work trying to make sure I get any kinks out.

Anyway, hoping to look more into it this weekend, but was hoping to get some tips. Oil on the dipstick appears fine. I've read to look at the bottom/corner of the radiator on the drivers side near that drain petcock as well as a line that goes back by the turbo. Hoping to avoid taking it to a mechanic if at all possible. I'm mechanically inclined, but not necessarily knowledgeable about diesel engines aside from my tractor (which it's so simple and easy to access that there's really no comparison).

-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
«1

Comments

  • JstasJstas Posts: 13,727
    It's not a super common problem but there's more than a few people running in to it.



    http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7-motor-problems-2011-2016/598674-2011-6-7l-coolant-disappearing.html

    https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1374475-6-7-coolant-leaks.html

    http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/167-11-16-6-7l-power-stroke-technical-info/311402-2011-6-7-coolant-leak.html

    There's more links when you search for "6.7l powerstroke coolant problems" on Google.

    Also, there appears to be a recall effort on the radiator for them. No recall yet but search for "6.7 powerstroke radiator recall" and a ton of info comes up.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Moose68BashMoose68Bash Posts: 3,571
    My advice, which is not very helpful at this point, is to get a Ram pickup with a Cummins turbodiesel, if you want a diesel pickup.

    The Cummins diesel, unlike most of the other diesel engines available in pickups, was developed for heavier duty applications -- e.g., ag, construction, industrial -- and, therefore, might be considered "overkill" for use in a pickup.

    However, this is much better than taking an engine designed initially as a gasoline engine and "upgrading" it for use as a diesel. Compression and combustion pressures are much greater, for example, in diesels, and the entire engine should be designed and built to support that combustion technology. "Conversion" from gasoline to diesel fuel is not simple.

    Best of luck in finding and fixing your problem with the Powerstroke engine.
    Family Room, PS Audio PW Transport, DirectStream DAC; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 MKII Pre; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps or CAT 600.2 Dualmono Amp, Morrow SP7 Speaker Cables, SDA SRS 1.2tls (RD0198s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: "The Abbot" Monastery-Level Xovers, Custom Internal Wiring, Binding Post Plates, & SDA ICs).

    Exercise Room, Wadia 171 iPod Dock, PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC, AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 Preamp, AQ King Cobra RCAs, Perreaux PMF3150 Amp, Dreadnought, Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables, SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers).

    Synology 713+ NAS on Gigabit LAN serving PW MkII DAC & DirectStream DAC.
  • JstasJstas Posts: 13,727
    Ummmm.....the PowerStroke engines have either been built by NaviStar who only do diesel engines or it was fully developed in-house by Ford as a diesel engine.

    The original Powerstroke was a Navistar T444E engine which was developed by Navistar to replace the International IDI diesel previously in the F-250 and up. The T444E was used in Ford and International's commercial chassis trucks, cab/chassis trucks and school buses because it was stuffed under the hood of the F-series.

    In 2003, emissions standards necessitated the replacement of the T444E with the VT365 which was a Navistar engine that they used in a number of International commercial vehicles as well as AmTran (later IC) bus chassis. The VT365 fits under the hood of the Super Duty so they used that as the PowerStroke 6.0L. The VT365 has won engineering and design awards a few times.

    The current PowerStroke is the result of Ford trying to cut engineering costs by bringing it's own engine building back in house. They also had out-of-control warranty claims through NaviStar because of poor quality control at NaviStar. The current PowerStroke is the "Scorpion" engine which was designed entirely as a diesel using Ford's modular engine design model so they could make bigger and smaller versions. It powers either as the only option or a base option, every Ford commercial light and medium duty truck or chassis/cab . The only one that doesn't have it is the Transit. But the Transit has it's own I5 version of the diesel.

    As for your erroneous claim that the Cummins diesel in the Dodge trucks was designed for bigger vehicles, that may have been true in 1989 for Dodge only (the previous 7.4L IDI diesel from Ford was used in everything from tractors to cab/chassis/trailer to equipment power) when they started shoehorning it into the Dodge trucks, it has not been true since about 2003 when the Dodge Ram started coming with the Cummins ISB CR which was specifically designed for the Dodge Ram and only the Dodge Ram so that Dodge could meet the same, more strict emissions standards that forced Ford to go to the VT365 from Navistar and abandon the beastly, indestructible T444E based PowerStroke.

    So to tell him that he should go buy a Dodge Ram solely because "The Cummins diesel, unlike most of the other diesel engines available in pickups, was developed for heavier duty applications -- e.g., ag, construction, industrial -- and, therefore, might be considered "overkill" for use in a pickup." is just wrong.

    You're woefully misinformed and just perpetuating a bench-racing myth.

    And the Cummins has not been without it's own problems.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • exalted512exalted512 Posts: 10,796
    My advice, which is not very helpful at this point, is to get a Ram pickup with a Cummins turbodiesel, if you want a diesel pickup.

    The Cummins diesel, unlike most of the other diesel engines available in pickups, was developed for heavier duty applications -- e.g., ag, construction, industrial -- and, therefore, might be considered "overkill" for use in a pickup.

    However, this is much better than taking an engine designed initially as a gasoline engine and "upgrading" it for use as a diesel. Compression and combustion pressures are much greater, for example, in diesels, and the entire engine should be designed and built to support that combustion technology. "Conversion" from gasoline to diesel fuel is not simple.

    Best of luck in finding and fixing your problem with the Powerstroke engine.

    There's an almost zero percent chance (I guess someone could theoretically give me one) of me owning a mopar product in the next 10 years. And if the last 25 is any indication, I'll never own one. Not to say the Cummins isn't a good engine, but unfortunately, there's all the stuff that's around the engine as well. But as noted, that discussion is long over. I would have preferred a GM, but unless I was willing to fork over more money or accept more miles, I'm stuck with Ford. But at least it has a solid front axle.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • exalted512exalted512 Posts: 10,796
    Jstas wrote: »
    It's not a super common problem but there's more than a few people running in to it.



    http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7-motor-problems-2011-2016/598674-2011-6-7l-coolant-disappearing.html

    https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1374475-6-7-coolant-leaks.html

    http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/167-11-16-6-7l-power-stroke-technical-info/311402-2011-6-7-coolant-leak.html

    There's more links when you search for "6.7l powerstroke coolant problems" on Google.

    Also, there appears to be a recall effort on the radiator for them. No recall yet but search for "6.7 powerstroke radiator recall" and a ton of info comes up.

    Thanks John. Those are among the exact threads I've found on the problem as well as one of the videos I watched. I'm hoping it's that line. Might be hard to get to, but not impossible - and that part is cheap.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • JstasJstas Posts: 13,727
    Those are the most common causes.

    I just hope you don't have like a leak in the turbo or a head gasket or something.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 20,147
    Turbo issues are the worst.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

    Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

    “If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • exalted512exalted512 Posts: 10,796
    Jstas wrote: »
    Those are the most common causes.

    I just hope you don't have like a leak in the turbo or a head gasket or something.

    Me too. But knowing my luck, that's what it'll be :(
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Moose68BashMoose68Bash Posts: 3,571
    Jstas wrote: »
    Ummmm.....the PowerStroke engines have either been built by NaviStar who only do diesel engines or it was fully developed in-house by Ford as a diesel engine.

    The original Powerstroke was a Navistar T444E engine which was developed by Navistar to replace the International IDI diesel previously in the F-250 and up. The T444E was used in Ford and International's commercial chassis trucks, cab/chassis trucks and school buses because it was stuffed under the hood of the F-series.

    In 2003, emissions standards necessitated the replacement of the T444E with the VT365 which was a Navistar engine that they used in a number of International commercial vehicles as well as AmTran (later IC) bus chassis. The VT365 fits under the hood of the Super Duty so they used that as the PowerStroke 6.0L. The VT365 has won engineering and design awards a few times.

    The current PowerStroke is the result of Ford trying to cut engineering costs by bringing it's own engine building back in house. They also had out-of-control warranty claims through NaviStar because of poor quality control at NaviStar. The current PowerStroke is the "Scorpion" engine which was designed entirely as a diesel using Ford's modular engine design model so they could make bigger and smaller versions. It powers either as the only option or a base option, every Ford commercial light and medium duty truck or chassis/cab . The only one that doesn't have it is the Transit. But the Transit has it's own I5 version of the diesel.

    As for your erroneous claim that the Cummins diesel in the Dodge trucks was designed for bigger vehicles, that may have been true in 1989 for Dodge only (the previous 7.4L IDI diesel from Ford was used in everything from tractors to cab/chassis/trailer to equipment power) when they started shoehorning it into the Dodge trucks, it has not been true since about 2003 when the Dodge Ram started coming with the Cummins ISB CR which was specifically designed for the Dodge Ram and only the Dodge Ram so that Dodge could meet the same, more strict emissions standards that forced Ford to go to the VT365 from Navistar and abandon the beastly, indestructible T444E based PowerStroke.

    So to tell him that he should go buy a Dodge Ram solely because "The Cummins diesel, unlike most of the other diesel engines available in pickups, was developed for heavier duty applications -- e.g., ag, construction, industrial -- and, therefore, might be considered "overkill" for use in a pickup." is just wrong.

    You're woefully misinformed and just perpetuating a bench-racing myth.

    And the Cummins has not been without it's own problems.

    @jstas,

    I appreciate your correcting my assumptions and my ignorance about the pedigree of the Powerstroke engine. My mistake was lumping the Powerstroke together with other diesels that were the result of conversions, essentially, of gasoline engines for use as diesels and which suffered reliability and durability problems as a result.

    I believe, however, that if you trace the pedigree of the Cummins ISB CR, you will find that while it was modified to achieve "more strict emissions standards," as you said, the fundamental engine design is that of the original Cummins B series engines produced in a joint venture with JI Case in Rock Mount, NC, in the mid-1980s.

    Case used these engine in ag and industrial applications -- not necessarily "bigger vehicles," as you put it, but certainly in many instances applications that put greater demands on the engine than Ram pickups.

    I have no desire to prolong a useless argument about the history of Cummins's B Series engines, but I do want to correct your statement that "[my] erroneous claim that the Cummins diesel in the Dodge trucks was designed for bigger vehicles" is a misrepresentation of my point.

    First, the ISB CR was modified for use specifically in the Dodge Ram, but it was not "specifically designed for Dodge Ram," as you say, if by that you mean that it was a wholly new engine design. It was not. It was a modified B Series engine.

    Second, I did not say designed for "bigger vehicles," but as I said above it was designed for use in applications that place greater demands on an engine than your typical pick up.

    Cheers!

    Phil

    PS: You clearly know a lot more about this general topic than I, but I do know a bit about Cummins's B Series engine because I was there when the JI Case/Cummins joint venture was launched.
    Family Room, PS Audio PW Transport, DirectStream DAC; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 MKII Pre; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps or CAT 600.2 Dualmono Amp, Morrow SP7 Speaker Cables, SDA SRS 1.2tls (RD0198s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: "The Abbot" Monastery-Level Xovers, Custom Internal Wiring, Binding Post Plates, & SDA ICs).

    Exercise Room, Wadia 171 iPod Dock, PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC, AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 Preamp, AQ King Cobra RCAs, Perreaux PMF3150 Amp, Dreadnought, Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables, SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers).

    Synology 713+ NAS on Gigabit LAN serving PW MkII DAC & DirectStream DAC.
  • exalted512exalted512 Posts: 10,796
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Just something that popped up today coolant loss thru a crack in the head...


    Don't bring that kind of negativity in my thread. I only want responses of "oh, that's an easy fix"
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 3,458
    Hey, the 6.0 wasn't any better...
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,803
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Hey, the 6.0 wasn't any better...

    AKA "six point slow" :p

    I drove a 6.0 F-350 King Ranch for a few years. It was a nice truck inside and outside, but under the hood was a different story.
  • exalted512exalted512 Posts: 10,796
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Unfortunately sometimes it's not an easy fix. I'm a mechanic myself and hate working on Powerstrokes but do anyways. There's so much to go wrong that looking for easy...can be frustrating. :/

    P.S. Be thankful it's not a 6.4...holy hell what a piece...lasted 2 years til Ford killed that turkey.

    For some reason on my phone it only posted half of what I said...anyway, this is at least a 2012. Through the research I did prior to buying, I heard that 11's had some issues that the 12's didn't. I also heard the same about the 6.4s, which directed my search again to 12+, even though I'm not necessarily opposed to having something that was older. Yet here I am, with truck problems...lol. But yeah, I'm a little peeved that the guy I bought it from decided not to disclose this until after the sale, but I know that's the type of things you can encounter buying from a private party.

    This thing seems to be using a quart or two a day of coolant, so it's been parked until I find out more. I'll be looking into it tomorrow morning...crossing my fingers it's the line by the turbo...I just think if it was, I would've seen or smelled it burning off with the amount of coolant it's losing.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • exalted512exalted512 Posts: 10,796
    I'm at a loss on this one. Don't see anything abnormal out the exhaust, in the oil, and can't find any visible leaks around the engine. As much as I hate dealerships, barring me missing something obvious, I'm not sure how easy or common of a fix this is going to be, so I figured the dealership who works with them every day might be my best bet. First time I have ever gone to the dealership for something that wasn't under warranty.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • JstasJstas Posts: 13,727
    Dude, before you go doing that, get this:

    http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/uv-light-and-accessories/quest-8-oz-engine-coolant-uv-dye/835773_0_0

    and a black light. Dump it in the radiator and drive the truck like you would for a few days or until the light comes back on.

    Then go shining the black light around the engine bay until you see the coolant leak shine.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • exalted512exalted512 Posts: 10,796
    I honestly didn't even think about that, John. But it's too late now, I took it to the dealership before work this morning. And honestly, I'm so strapped for time right now, I might've taken it to the dealer had I thought of it. I need to get this thing right and back on the road ASAP.

    This is what I get for constantly 'talking trash' to my buddies with Fords then going out and buying one. Damn you karma! :lol:
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • I have walked into a Ford dealer twice in the last couple weeks to buy an Escape. Turned around walked out both times. Just can't bring myself to do it. I like the vehicle, just the fact it is a Furd is a turn off. I am sure it is a **** anyway.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; Cables ZU Mission IC's, SC and power cords, all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

    All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

    Other; S60'S, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All speakers have had crossover rebuilds, resulting in a small fortune invested in Sonicaps, and tweeter upgrades.

    Political memes posted as fact and accepted as fact, are sign language of the ignorant, for the ignorant

    tonyb said " but even socialists can do a good thing here and there

    Social media makes dumb people dumber and smart people dumb then dumber.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 13,121
    FORD'S ROCK ;)
    It's all i got :)

    Been Ford blue a long time had the others, but once you find a great mechanic you tend to keep what he works on. Mine works on Ford, Lincoln Mercury and that is it. Take him a GM or Dodge and he'll tell you he'll get to it when he runs out of Fords. Could be 3-4yrs :)
  • I do have a 1969 Mercury Cougar, 34000 original miles.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; Cables ZU Mission IC's, SC and power cords, all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

    All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

    Other; S60'S, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All speakers have had crossover rebuilds, resulting in a small fortune invested in Sonicaps, and tweeter upgrades.

    Political memes posted as fact and accepted as fact, are sign language of the ignorant, for the ignorant

    tonyb said " but even socialists can do a good thing here and there

    Social media makes dumb people dumber and smart people dumb then dumber.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 21,416
    edited October 2017
    I have walked into a Ford dealer twice in the last couple weeks to buy an Escape. Turned around walked out both times. Just can't bring myself to do it. I like the vehicle, just the fact it is a Furd is a turn off. I am sure it is a **** anyway.

    I like Fords just fine -- but -- from my perspective, you did the right thing vis-a-vis the current Escape.
    Their track record hasn't been great.

    The CR-V's nice if you want that kind of vehicle.

  • tonybtonyb Posts: 30,899
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    FORD'S ROCK ;)
    It's all i got :)

    Been Ford blue a long time had the others, but once you find a great mechanic you tend to keep what he works on. Mine works on Ford, Lincoln Mercury and that is it. Take him a GM or Dodge and he'll tell you he'll get to it when he runs out of Fords. Could be 3-4yrs :)

    lol, not exactly a great statement on Fords behalf. :)
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

    Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

    Kitchen

    Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • exalted512exalted512 Posts: 10,796
    tonyb wrote: »

    lol, not exactly a great statement on Fords behalf. :)

    He knows who pays the bills. haha!
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I have walked into a Ford dealer twice in the last couple weeks to buy an Escape. Turned around walked out both times. Just can't bring myself to do it. I like the vehicle, just the fact it is a Furd is a turn off. I am sure it is a **** anyway.

    I like Fords just fine -- but -- from my perspective, you did the right thing vis-a-vis the current Escape.
    Their track record hasn't been great.

    The CR-V's nice if you want that kind of vehicle.




    I am with you on the CRV. So far that is at the top of my list. I am buying used certified.

    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; Cables ZU Mission IC's, SC and power cords, all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

    All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

    Other; S60'S, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All speakers have had crossover rebuilds, resulting in a small fortune invested in Sonicaps, and tweeter upgrades.

    Political memes posted as fact and accepted as fact, are sign language of the ignorant, for the ignorant

    tonyb said " but even socialists can do a good thing here and there

    Social media makes dumb people dumber and smart people dumb then dumber.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 21,416
    edited October 2017
    Mrs. H has a CR-V (a 2016); it's a nice vehicle.
    (she loved her 2005 Escape Hybrid -- loved it for a little over 246,000 miles with no significant problems... except rust that ultimately claimed it)

    I am giving serious consideration to a used CR-V for me... to replace my '06 RAV4.
    Suffice to say neither of us were seriously considering another RAV4 ( -- and I am generally pretty pro-Toyota).
  • Yes I have looked at the RAV4, everything about them screams cheap.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; Cables ZU Mission IC's, SC and power cords, all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

    All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

    Other; S60'S, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All speakers have had crossover rebuilds, resulting in a small fortune invested in Sonicaps, and tweeter upgrades.

    Political memes posted as fact and accepted as fact, are sign language of the ignorant, for the ignorant

    tonyb said " but even socialists can do a good thing here and there

    Social media makes dumb people dumber and smart people dumb then dumber.
  • exalted512exalted512 Posts: 10,796
    It's the EGR cooler that's leaking internally. Which is weird because I haven't seen any white smoke coming out the exhaust. Well, I wasn't planning on deleting this truck, but I'm not going to pay to put that crap back on.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,836
    exalted512 wrote: »
    It's the EGR cooler that's leaking internally. Which is weird because I haven't seen any white smoke coming out the exhaust. Well, I wasn't planning on deleting this truck, but I'm not going to pay to put that crap back on.
    -Cody

    You won't see white smoke. Our VW/Audi diesels do this as well. The only tell tale sign (besides no external leaks) is carbon traces in the coolant bottle/over flow (black stuff often misdiagnosed as oil in the coolant, AKA headgaskets). Plus that white smoke is usually masked by that black disgusting diesel smoke anyway :tongue:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 13,121
    I do have a 1969 Mercury Cougar, 34000 original miles.

    Sweet
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 13,121
    tonyb wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    FORD'S ROCK ;)
    It's all i got :)

    Been Ford blue a long time had the others, but once you find a great mechanic you tend to keep what he works on. Mine works on Ford, Lincoln Mercury and that is it. Take him a GM or Dodge and he'll tell you he'll get to it when he runs out of Fords. Could be 3-4yrs :)

    lol, not exactly a great statement on Fords behalf. :)

    Lol come on T
    My 2003 4.6 F150 has 225,000 doesn't burn or use any oil, front end is tight as a virgin.
    Now the exwives 2003 silverado has 200,000 on it leaks fluids everywhere. She has put nearly 3000.00 in it the last 3 years.

    By the way he only works on my Ford when it's something i do not have the ability to and he knows my abilities or will show me how to do it if he feels it is within my abilities.
  • exalted512exalted512 Posts: 10,796
    nbrowser wrote: »
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Jstas wrote: »
    Those are the most common causes.

    I just hope you don't have like a leak in the turbo or a head gasket or something.

    The EGR cooler is always a possibility too...

    exalted512 wrote: »
    It's the EGR cooler that's leaking internally. Which is weird because I haven't seen any white smoke coming out the exhaust. Well, I wasn't planning on deleting this truck, but I'm not going to pay to put that crap back on.
    -Cody

    Apologies for being clairvoyant...Seems to be a bit of a common issue....just delete it if they'll do it...also see about getting the DPF deleted as well...might need a third party shop for that.

    I'm certainly blaming you. Had you not said that, it probably would've just been there turbo fitting. ;)
    I doubt the dealership will do it. Small town, so they're pretty anal about 'by the book'. I'm going to pay their diagnostic fee and likely take it to a performance shop a little over an hour away in Houston to delete it and be done with it. Big shout out to the government for mandating the installation of these.
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!