My employer over paid me thousands of dollars

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited September 2017
    This is complicated, especially if it was over the course of time. You say you paid taxes on the money, but did you also file after the mistakes were made? That could be problematic with Uncle.
    If they'll let you pay it back over time, go with that.
    If they insist on getting it all at once, I would just pay it back... in pennies.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Buy my Krell...

Oh wait...you have to give it back? :p
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I don't want to work for them now but I am hanging on for my 30 year bonus. Lots of time and half, double, and triple time over paid. I wouldn't know where to start figuring out if they get it right. This slipped through at least three levels plus automatic triggers that should have caught or stopped it but they all failed. Confidence level: 0
  • lightman1 wrote: »
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Could be mistaken, but I don't think I've ever seen Lightman splurge that much on anything.

I've got $28k cash in one side bin of my bucket truck.
    $100!!

I got 28k worth of stuff you can buy
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • PFB reincarnated ....
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    At first, I thought this was a PFB moment, but alas you are serious. Unless you work for a huge, insensitive dipwad of a company, I'd hope you can work out a repayment plan with them.

My second thought, as bookkeeper of the family, is, how the hell didn't you notice this on the first f'd up paycheck?! Unless you work a commission based job, the check should be pretty consistent, no?
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    DaveHo wrote: »
    At first, I thought this was a PFB moment, but alas you are serious. Unless you work for a huge, insensitive dipwad of a company, I'd hope you can work out a repayment plan with them.

My second thought, as bookkeeper of the family, is, how the hell didn't you notice this on the first f'd up paycheck?! Unless you work a commission based job, the check should be pretty consistent, no?

This is what I was wondering. If my check is 20$ more I notice.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    edited September 2017
    DSkip wrote: »

As someone who worked in the Accounting dept. for a handful of years, it isn't as hard as you think to miss something like this, especially when variables like overtime are in play. If they entered the wrong hourly wage and that information is hidden on an import spreadsheet, nobody would ever catch it unless they audited for some odd reason.

I'm out
    Post edited by ken brydson on
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Tell then you blew it on hookers and blow, and then give payroll dept. the first names and cell numbers of your supervisors wives so they can start the collection process.

I wasn't aware UofL basketball was involved...
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    afterburnt wrote: »
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Holy ****! Why is this so difficult? Did you spend it already? Give it back!

Holy ****! if it was paid a little at a time over many months do you think is just piling up in a corner?

Agreed. I dont know if you are saleried, hourly, get paid by the job or what, but it sounds like if it was such a small amount for you not to notice and its reached thousands of dollars, this has been going on for years.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited September 2017
    I like that, Afterburnt(er) Adidas shoe endorsement. :o
  • polrbehr
    edited September 2017
    DSkip wrote: »
    Taxes should be fine unless it has bracket implications. When they pull it back, it will show less on his next tax return so it should even out. This isn't that complicated of a situation.
    Agreed, but assume he paid federal, state, local tax, SS, etc. on the extra money he received when he filed his taxes; now they start withholding money from him until it's paid back. While that will arguably lower his total income, and therefore the taxes withheld going forward, he will no longer have that extra money (which he already paid tax on). He would also have to file a 1040X for any tax years affected by this. IMO the company should foot the bill for any accounting help he might need.

It seems like it could be a PITA and it's a problem not of his making... I'll tell you about State Farm insurance one of these days.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Need more details.
    How often do you get paid, it is same amount every pay or per job or commission or salary or hourly?
    Over what amount of time did these mistakes take place?
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    Have them deduct a little at a time. Work out a repayment plan and stick with it. The situation does suck though.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2017
    How in the H*ll do you not notice thousands of dollars of overpayment? Do you not look at your paystub? or check your bank balance? There is this thing called personal responsibility!

Try telling your mortgage company that you didn't notice it was the first of the month so you didn't pay your mortgage and see how far you get.

Pay the money back since it doesn't belong to you, or risk getting fired/charged with theft.

Hopefully you can work out a payment plan. But from now on, always check your paystubs, and balance your checking account.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • afterburnt

My checks are never the same, my net varies quite a bit from check to check. On top of everything I got a raise, changed my witholding and was temporarily upgraded. The latter of is what caused the problem. Like I said there are several people and mechanisms to prevent this from happening. I guess I got complacent after 27+ years.

Ken and Frizz you guys are *'s
  • afterburnt
    You aim for the moon but you are half a degree off. After 240,000 miles of travel see where you end up.
  • cfrizz

My checks are never the same, my net varies quite a bit from check to check. On top of everything I got a raise, changed my witholding and was temporarily upgraded. The latter of is what caused the problem. Like I said there are several people and mechanisms to prevent this from happening. I guess I got complacent after 27+ years.

Maybe if you had put all of this info in your first post, the responses would have been more understanding.

Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Take a knee and protest!!!

Seems the way things are done now.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Buy the company and tell those *****s to pound sand.
  • afterburnt
    cfrizz wrote: »

Maybe if you had put all of this info in your first post, the responses would have been more understanding.

Maybe if you had asked? No harm no foul, we're good. There is still even more to it that makes it more complex but I didn't want to write a book with one finger.
  • afterburnt wrote: »
    .......but I didn't want to write a book with one finger.

I do all the time. My middle :smirk:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • polrbehr
    Beat me to it. ^^^^ LOL

• If it was the temporary upgrade that didn't get rescinded at the proper time, basically they dropped the ball and you failed to look for it laying in your bank account. I would hope that a tenured employee of 27 years would be able to get a payback plan that both could live with.

Good luck to you as these are the type of things that happen that can sour a long term employee on a company as you lived with other employee perks and benefits that slowly dried up and disappeared over the years of your tenure.

I left a job of 27 years after a bonus program change that they touted as revenue neutral when I plugged in my good performance from my current year into the new formula and realized a 25% drop in total pay was going to occur. They denied it would work that way, refused to budge, I moved on and within a year, 80% of the management at my level had left the company due to that great new plan. These types of things happen all the time in the work world and all you can do is watch out for yourself and plan ahead for another path if needed. Good luck!
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Now if this was a couple of pay checks then yes pay it back, but if this over payment has been going on for months then it should be on the company.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • cfrizz
    mrloren wrote: »
    Now if this was a couple of pay checks then yes pay it back, but if this over payment has been going on for months then it should be on the company.

That's a nice dream you have going there, but it will never happen!
  • The biggest concern I would have is if it all happened in 2017.

If it did, have them reverse the over payment before year end to correct any tax implications. Then have them setup the net over payment up as an employee loan that you then pay back over a mutually agreed period of time.

If it started before 2017, tax issues could make it much bigger problem. Are FICA limits impacted? Did you work in more than 1 state? Were there any significant differences in your tax situation in the years affected (changes in state or local tax rates, any bonuses, your spouse's income, one time deductions,etc)? DOES YOUR EMPLOYER WANT TO REFILE THEIR TAXES FOR THE PRIOR YEAR(S)? If things spans multiple years you should be able to convince your employer to resolve it more favorably to you.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    You could always go the Office Space route...np7a24ru1t9j.png
  • afterburnt
    That pic gave me a chubby