FS: Ampzilla Sold...

trav0810
trav0810 Posts: 1,056
edited September 2017 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
I purchased this ampzilla over a year ago and it was DOA. I took it with me to Carver Fest and let one of the technicians there take a crack at it. He replaced some bad transistors, made a few adjustments and had it singing like new in no time. However, he did not have the parts to tackle the meters. One meter works perfectly, the needle on the other meter sticks at the middle spot. He did not have bulbs on hand to replace the burned-out meter bulbs.

These amps seem to be increasingly rare to find. And even harder to find in working or semi working condition. So this is an opportunity to own a piece of audio history at a great price.

My asking price is $600 plus actual.shipping. but, I am also willing to entertain offers. rovd6dimb5fj.jpg

2kjdwaiya7ji.jpg

e5wooazt96ma.jpg

0gqiiw0kfacr.jpg
The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
Thorens TD320
Modified Carver C-1
Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Bump for Travis. Great guy, and great seller (and buyer).

Dont hesitate to buy from him.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • trav0810
    Thanks, Dan! If we time it right, we could probably sneak it into your house without your wife seeing it!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited September 2017
    trav0810 wrote: »
    Thanks, Dan! If we time it right, we could probably sneak it into your house without your wife seeing it!

Sorry bro, no need for more amps...

And if I was in need... there is a Phase Linear amp (with wooden factory case) thats being re-furbed locally that calls my name more....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • trav0810

Blasphemy!

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • trav0810 wrote: »

Blasphemy!

See my edited comment :smile:
  • trav0810
    The Ampzilla, like The Phase Linear was one of the few amps putting out some real power back in the seventies.

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • trav0810 wrote: »
    The Ampzilla, like The Phase Linear was one of the few amps putting out some real power back in the seventies.

Dont disagree, like the aesthetics of the Phase Linear more.... and with being serviced/upgraded it just looks TOO DANG GOOD...

Back to sale of this amp...
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I've seen the Phase Linear....sexy beast.
  • trav0810
    I got to listen to a lot of Phase Linear gear last week. It's some nice stuff.

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    This amp like phase/carver stuff was designed by another audio genius.... just can't remember more than it begins with a B

• trav0810
    James Bongiorno

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    This amp like phase/carver stuff was designed by another audio genius.... just can't remember more than it begins with a B

James Bongiorno. I have a Mike Bettinger restored/upgraded Ampzilla and it's put to shame amps costing many thousands more. GLWS!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    The late, great "Bongo" James Bongiorno.

Started with Dynaco (the ST-400) then SAE, GAS (his own company), followed by Sumo and another of his own companies (name escapes me) with the "Ampzilla 2000".

2yysm0p0oxd3.png

There's a GAS Thoebe here, as it happens.
    Be kinda cool to mate it to an Ampzilla ;)

10091422313_dd0abaf0a4_b.jpgthoebe by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    James Bongiorno

Yep that's it ;) Dang Mark he sure rocks out that huggybear pimp suit
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    DSkip wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    James Bongiorno

Yep that's it ;) Dang Mark he sure rocks out that huggybear pimp suit

That's about all the man rocked... clothes wise.

And you know from experience :o
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • trav0810
    Bob Carver was telling me stories about him last week. There were a group of those electrical engineers and designers that would hang out together. They referred to themselves as the "Nerd Herd". And he talked about how James would always show up in the bright green or bright pink suits.

He told me that James was so picky about his Transformers that when he was Contracting to have them built he would tour Factory after Factory and if he did not like anything about the way their products looked, he wouldn't even consider them for the job. He would not tolerate one single winding being out of place.

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2017
    nt0d8nqz7c3b.png

Years back, Bongiorno (who was responsible for the GAS/Sumo "Charlie" tuner) used to participate in the FMtunerinfo forums. As is often the case when actual, talented people from the industry participate on "laypeople's" forums, some of the Neanderthals* on the forum would get into urinating contests with him. Eventually, he got tired of it and walked away. It was the forum's loss :(

John Curl was on audioasylum at one time, and Ken Kantor on AK... but more or less the same thing happened. :(

I found all three to be quite reasonable as forum participants (FWIW), but then again I recognized that they all know way more about this stuff than I. They earned their opinions!

xg3iydsouz53.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    sorry we (I!) hijacked your for sale thread with Bongo's threads! :(

I wish I could rationalize buying this Ampzilla; it'd be fun to have one!
  • trav0810
    It's hard to rationalize buying what you want instead of buying what you need. But, hey, who needs rationale?

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Wish I had a use for it as I would be all over it...maybe we can convince @lightman1 that he needs another amp?
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • trav0810
    edited September 2017
    I've been condensing the system down to one that I am very, very happy with. I have a couple amps that are going to be getting sold, a preamp, another set of speakers. I've got to start getting rid of this stuff so I can actually consider putting some room treatments up and focusing on the one system.

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
  • lightman1
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Wish I had a use for it as I would be all over it...maybe we can convince @lightman1 that he needs another amp?

It'll just wind up being stored at somebody elses house. :#
  • mhardy6647
    ooh, ooh -- buy it and store it at my house! I'll exercise it sometimes!

;)
  • lightman1
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ooh, ooh -- buy it and store it at my house! I'll exercise it sometimes!

;)

Not a bad idea, Doc.....
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited September 2017
    lightman1 wrote: »

My house is nearby :smile:
  • lightman1

You've had your turn with my gear, ya greedy bugger!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

Dan's house isn't built for audio....that's been clarified
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    Ron sweeps the knee......Dan hits the mat...
  • lightman1 wrote: »
    Ron sweeps the knee......Dan hits the mat...

Ouch that stings lol....

We can still be friends @txcoastal1 :smile:
  • trav0810
    edited September 2017
    Of course, Russ, if you want to purchase it and just leave it here, that is an option as well. Then whenever you're working in the area you could just come by here and listen to your own system. I can also hook you up with a Spectro Acoustics preamp and a pair of AR 9LS's
    Post edited by trav0810 on

Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1