Sound & Vision Magazine

Options
dean/klipschead
dean/klipschead Posts: 295
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I don't get this magazine but may have to go out and pick up this month's copy.

I haven't read the review -- but evidently -- the Klipsch RF7 turned in some ugly numbers performance wise.

76hz to 14.4khz +/- 4.5db on the frequency response test.

I'm having a real problem with these numbers.

Since I can't get my hands on the review until I get off work -- I don't know what they said about the actual SOUND of the RF7. But man, those numbers be ugly.

If you're interested -- you can follow the thread on the Klipsch Forum, which due to my tact -- is bound to get ugly real soon.

enjoy;)

No Highs, No Lows, Must be RF7's?!
Dean
Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Hi Dean, no highs no lows, must be BOSE, mate dont worry about the rubbish printed in S&V half of their articles are sooooo biased one must assume they are on the take, enjoy what you have...Kind Regards Fabian
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    How are you feeling today Fabian?

What time is it over there right now?
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • fabian1
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Hi Dean, well medication helps somtimes at the moment I would say I am ok, the time here is 6.42am Sunday 14/04 Regards Fabian
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited April 2002
    Options
    you can say that again s-v sucks!

scott:cool:
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Wow -- 14 hours ahead.

So what's my tomorrow look like?
    Dean

• fabian1
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Well,weater wise here on the gold coast its always warm and sunny
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    ahh -- it gets nice here too.

IM0001551.jpg
    Dean

• joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Fabian. Good to hear the meds help sometimes. About that time and date. That is also nice to know as I always have a hard time figuring out if it is tomorrow or yesterday over there.

Dean. The guy wrote a pretty positive article about the 7's I don't see how he could have liked them as well as he did if they were only putting out what his measurements indicated. Strange.

joe
  • fabian1
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Dean, wow that snow looks great I have never seen snow, Joe thanks for your kind words again, does it snow where you live.....Fabian
  • joe6pak
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Fabian. It snows where I live, but usually not as much as up north like where Dean lives. The most I have seen at one time here is 27 inches. According to some yankees I know who have moved here, 27 inches is no big deal. I don't care for snow and if I ever see another snowflake it will be too soon. I like summertime boating on the lake better than slipping & sliding on snow & ice.

Dean. How did you like the review on the Rf7's?

joe
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I won't be able to read it until I pick up a copy of the mag. after work tonight.

Gee, I guess if I don't like the review I'll just have to sell 'em and get something else:rolleyes:

I've never seen a good review of a speaker I really liked.
    Dean

• fabian1
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Dean, have you heard Krix Speakers, they are made here in Aussie land and sound very good but are very expensive.....Fabian
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Real men live to the north, and laugh openly and with contempt for southerners.
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Fabian,

Nope, have never heard of them. But then, there are alot of speakers I've never heard of. For example: Bose. Who in the hell is Bose?

OrangeToupee,

Whatcha trying to do man, start a civil war?
    Dean

• fabian1
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Dean, speakers are personal brand importance is irrelavant so long as you like the sound a speaker reproduces. If a review on a product is poor then that person has a d/rent taste in sound or he/she is on the take. I have read a lot of Audio reveiws and mate they are veryyyyyyyyy subjective. Keep your speakers if youuuuuuu are happy, thats all that matters Kind Regards Fabian PS www.krix.com.au
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Alright, what I meant to say was that real men don't whine about cold weather or snow. It adds to the spice of life.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Whatcha trying to do man, start a civil war?

That would be "The War of Northern Aggression"

I've never seen a good review of a speaker I really liked.

Hey Dean...What about :DTHESE? :D

NO.....Not the Thiels....go to page 2!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • fabian1
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Dean, isnt Bose that bunch of gangsters that rip off the world flogging $20 stereos for like $10,000, yep I think so...B%%####s Fabian
  • joe6pak
    edited April 2002
    Options
    orange. That is real funny. It appears that a bunch of your real men have a different idea. Here the population is about 80% yankees. They can't get here fast enough. You may think the south sucks, but I don't think very many people retire and move up north.

Dean. How much for those speakers? No. I really don't think you are going to be angry about this review. In fact he sounds similar to some stuff you have written, especially when he is trying to explain the direct sound of horn speakers compared to conventional speakers. See page one, column 2, paragraph two. Maybe he has been reading your reviews! He really only had minor complaints about the 7's and seemed to like them.

joe
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Hey dean,
    I get sound and vision in the mail every month.Yes they did review them, they called them BIG. Like everything else we American's like.They say they have excessivesiliance.They also didn't produe a deepor airy soundstage, nor where they effortlessovere the highest octave.
    You might not want to read it as they just about bashed them the whole time.Don't get down on the Dean,Not everybody like's Klipsch.Thats fine, just a stupid magazine right???
    O well sorry dude!!
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Fabian,

of course I'll keep them -- I was only kidding

I was just being a little sarcastic
    Dean

• joe6pak
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Mantis. I respectfully, and I mean VERY respectfully, disagree with what you just wrote. The reviewer said he was expecting excessive sibilance and spittiness, but that they simply weren't there. No excessive siblance. He also said that the trade off for the enhanced detail was a not quite as deep or airy a soundstage as his reference speakers. That doesn't mean he hated them. He also did not slam them for the whole review.

joe
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Thats cool, thats just what I remember from reading it earlier this week.
    Don't worry i don't get mad.I will have to read it again.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    Options
    By the way Joe...cool name!!
    Dan
  • fabian1
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Joe who or what are Yankies, sorry Im an Aussie hence I have never heard that name, Dean, I am on all these presciption drugs, re back, hence I must admit I cannot tell the d/rence to a joke or not. IAt least they allow me to get on and off this great forum and chat with all my great US mates ,Kind Regards Fabian:confused:
  • joe6pak
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Mantis. Thanks. Heck after you read that review again, you may still see it the same way. We may just have a difference of opinion. After all to a horny guy Klipsch are accurate and detailed, but to a nonhorny they are bright and harsh. Nonhornys say their speakers are warm and laidback, hornyguys say, well your dome tweats are muddled and boring with no projection.

Fabian. I really was wondering if this hillbilly verses yankee stuff was making any sense to you. Yankees are the good people that live in the northern part of the U.S.A. I live with the good people in the southern part of the U.S.A. We southerners & northerners bicker, argue and make fun of each other about our differences in culture, customs, & general lifestyle. And there really are differences. During our civil war in the 1860's, the north was refered to as yankees the south as rebels. I guess that is where some of this stuff comes from.

Just to make this more confusing, the east coast and the west coast people of this great country also have a great time fighting and making fun of each other. Then to top all that off the east & west like to make fun of all of middle america, sort of lumping the central america yankees & hillbillys, into one uncool group.

The thing is all this bickering usually only goes so far. The way most all of us see it, attack New York & Washington D.C., we feel like you just attacked us in Arkansas, Ohio, Kansas, Oregon, etc. Thats why we will win this war. We fight each other for fun but get along when it really matters.

I'm sure others will correct any mistakes I have made in this post. Now back to the north-south argument.

Orange. I was not whining about cold & snow. I have worked up north, outside and in the winter. Yes it is cold, but nothing I couldn't handle. You want to hear some whining? You should hear these yankees complain during June, July, & August when it is 99 degrees with about 100% humidity! Man what a bunch of babies! You can't get them out of the a/c for more than 30 seconds before they start to keel over from the heat. Real men may be able to handle the snow with no complaint, but they are sissyboys when it comes to a little heat & humidity.

joe
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I think S&V was better when it was just Stereo Review. I also think they are on the take.

I miss Audio. Better reviewing, fair, etc. Their graphs were excellent. Let's see S&V do a 3D on/off axis freq. response graph with a speaker review. Not just this high points and low points B.S.

The other night I read the Stereophile review of the Dynaco ST-120 amp from '66. It compared favorably to the Marantz 8B tubes ($$$$). More to follow.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I read it again,
    they did seem to like them,As home theater speaker's mated with B&K, they do make for a killer system, i have Installed that exact system amny times when I worked for tweeter,I Installed it with the B&K avr307 as well, we had a great customer that live's in New jersey that won't buy anything else but Klipsch.He started out with a Sony 3eS RECEIVER, BUT I upgraded him to the B&K as I knew it would sound much smoother.The B&K avr307 does in fact sound good with the rf 7's.I personally think they are the very best Klipsch speaker's ever made.I still don't like them for me.I don't like the way they image.(I don't think they can).I also don't care for the extreme high's ( not detail)they belt out.To me also they have no depth in sound.No mid range. I don't like them at all, but they do sound much better then all the other's even the rest of the new line.Now the rears....different story.Those rears are just about the most dynamic,room filling rears I ever installed.They are incredible.They have awesome detail.When you run The Matrix, you there in the scene, not watching it.Also the sub......stunning, that monster can just about break you.It hit's so hard it made me laugh out loud(it's a good thing to laugh).
    For Home theater mated with the right amp, you can have bragging right's in your town if not the hole city, for music.....run for your life(SCREAMING)
    Dan
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    that's pretty funny

the RS7's use the same tweeter and crossover as the RF7's
    Dean

• mantis
    edited April 2002
    Options
    But Dean,
    they don't have to play music, just effect's!!!
    LoL
    all in good fun buddy!!!
    by the way, all that snow that must be so nice to get that much snow I wish it would snow like that around here in Phila Pa.It does once in like every 5 years or so, but other than that it's light.
    Dan