I couldn't pass them up...

daddyjt
daddyjt Posts: 2,305
edited August 2017 in Speakers
I have a habit of checking the KSL Classifieds (the SLC version of CL, but infinitely better search engine) daily for anything I can't live without. Like most of you I'm sure, I do not need any more gear, but...

Anyway, I came across these a few weeks ago, and didn't give them much thought until I saw a fellow member looking for a pair. Turns out, he wanted the natural wood finish. So a few days go by, and I see they are still for sale, so I message the seller and ask if they would consider $125. I've never experienced the "ring radiator" tweeter, and figure these may be fun to play with. They said no, and I forgot about it.

Then I get a call out of the blue last weekend from the seller, asking if I'm still interested. I said sure, but I only have $100 in my "Audio fund" (McCormack pretty much killed it). The seller says no problem, so long story short, they live with me now...

Oh, and the stands were included;-)

m8lkrpmqjb7y.jpg
"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Nice pickup. Indeed, absolute steal. Be sure to leave at least a fake phone number when you leave the guy in the morning.

Could you expound on the acronyms in your original post? Sounds interesting but CL was the only part I could decipher.
    I disabled signatures.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Congrats man! They are a good pair of speakers!

The 7s are widely mentioned as the most overlooked but best of the LSI speakers.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    very nice pickup
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Very nice score.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    Nice grab! The ring radiator tweeter implemented in the LSI was what started my journey into Polk. Definitely fun speakers!

Congrats!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    msg wrote: »
    Nice pickup. Indeed, absolute steal. Be sure to leave at least a fake phone number when you leave the guy in the morning.

Could you expound on the acronyms in your original post? Sounds interesting but CL was the only part I could decipher.

KSL is the local radio/tv conglomerate in the Salt Lake City area. They run a classified section on their web site - free, just like Craig's List. You can sort by category, just like CL, but they also have a sub-category selection. I look at "home audio - speakers" and "home audio - other" daily. "Home Audio Other" is where I found my McCormack - usually where you find amps, preamps, and the like. There is a separate section for "Home Audio Receivers", so I don't have to wade through them.

Here's a link -

https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/search/?keyword=&category[]=Electronics&priceFrom=&priceTo=&city=&state=&zip=&miles=25&sort=0
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    that's a steal indeed, someday I'll get my ears on these!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    "Stole em" is an understatement. Nice acquisition!
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Good grief man! By my estimation you got a pretty good deal on some speakers stands and had the speakers thrown in for free.

The 7's were probably my favorite of the LSi line.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I liked the lsi 7&9 quite a bit. I like a beefier type sound and they fit the bill. They do play way beyond their size.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.