The Clamp, a world-class turntable clamp

Options

Comments

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    I'm sure it's a vintage pic, he states in his comments that he no longer owned them. I remember you buying them at the time.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,331
    Options
    Anybody still in touch with him? Has he straightened out his life?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,050
    Options
    I hope he's straightened out his life as it was a mess when I last talked to him in 2012. Some of it had to with the clamp and violated patent rights from what Joe was telling me. He seemed like a very smart guy and I bet he was a lot of fun to hang out with before the demons took over.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    He never had a patent because he never applied for one.

Skip, multiple reasons which we don't need to rehash.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,331
    Options
    It has been more than some time since he has been gone. Everybody deserves a second chance.

Any reason he should not?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    That is not going to happen.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Looks like the same exact thing with lite differences on the outside. Sure was a lot of "fluff" in the description of it though. I wonder why he photo shopped Joe's clamp on the top pic...that's just...weird.

Inspiredsports, yes. Cost was the number one brick wall for Joe and trying a second run at it.

Tom

That was the first version of the Simply Physics clamp and as you can see, its pretty much "The Clamp." The only difference is it doesn't have the knurled surface on the upper knob like the clamp. The surface of the knob is smooth. Other than that it's a blatant copy. How do I know? I bought the first version of the Simply Physics clamp off Audiogon for $45 before I found out it was a blatant copy of The Clamp. Still have it, it works quite well.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Quick phone camera shot of The Clamp in its new home.

Thanks, Greg!

s4pmplcxev4j.jpg
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »

Nice! I like to yell Micro Seiki when I do my kata...lol
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • agfrost
    Options
    I tell you, there is next to zero info about this turntable online. They must have made about 5 total. It's been berry, berry good to me though.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    edited August 2017
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »

WOW Rich I have never seen that. I've used the pin point oil applicator but never knew they had a grease.

Nice! I like to yell Micro Seiki when I do my kata...lol

And which kata are you doing? Bassai Dai ? Hangetsu? or big tall guy like you Unsu

• SCompRacer
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I tell you, there is next to zero info about this turntable online. They must have made about 5 total. It's been berry, berry good to me though.

They go for big bucks. Very well built. Veneer over pressboard.

This is underside of Yamaha YP-D10 I had. Yours would look similar.

rlm8uduuxp5y.jpg

imupaztjmhxa.jpg

• SCompRacer
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

WOW Rich I have never seen that. I've used the pin point oil applicator but never knew they had a grease.

It's good stuff!
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options

It's good stuff!

@lightman1 has been using it for years, however a bit different application.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »

It's good stuff!

So you been camping with him too?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Dawgfish
    Options

Thanks, Greg!

s4pmplcxev4j.jpg

Beautiful deck! Is that a Stanton 881 cart?
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

It's good stuff!

Nope, "word of mouth"
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • agfrost
    Options
    Dawgfish wrote: »

Thanks! A local Craiglist transaction that my wife still rues (I went for the Micro Seiki and came back with it plus several hundred LPs!)

Good eye--the cart is a Stanton 881S. Stylus was collapsed when I acquired it (actually torn off IIRC), so I replaced it with a JICO shibata. I've been quite happy with it.
    Jay
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Looks like the same exact thing with lite differences on the outside. Sure was a lot of "fluff" in the description of it though. I wonder why he photo shopped Joe's clamp on the top pic...that's just...weird.

Inspiredsports, yes. Cost was the number one brick wall for Joe and trying a second run at it.

Tom

That was the first version of the Simply Physics clamp and as you can see, its pretty much "The Clamp." The only difference is it doesn't have the knurled surface on the upper knob like the clamp. The surface of the knob is smooth. Other than that it's a blatant copy. How do I know? I bought the first version of the Simply Physics clamp off Audiogon for $45 before I found out it was a blatant copy of The Clamp. Still have it, it works quite well.

The big difference in the Version 2 vs the Clamp is the lip on side/bottom edge is much thinner on the Version 2 vs the Clamp. It's more difficult to hold the edge of the Version 2 while tightening.

In fact if there would be any improvement in Joe's Clamp, it would be to make his side/bottom edge a little thicker as well, making it easier to grasp with the thumb and finger(s) to tighten firmly to flatten a warped record. That was the primary driver for Joe to design the Clamp with the shims. The Clamp uses it's underside lip to push the outer rim of the record against the platter, coupling the record to the platter. Rich likens it to adding torque to the sound! LOL! It works! No doubt about it, there is a noticeable improvement in the sonics.

Carl

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

It's good stuff!

Nope, "word of mouth"

Ha ha just keep digging the hole.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    I started using mine on a Technics SL-1200 MK II a few months ago and was really surprised at the improvement in sound. It took what was a fairly sloppy sounding table, that to me was good for just blasting hard rock, and greatly improved the clarity, control and noise floor.

Pretty good for a gadget designed 30+ years ago. But it was more expensive than the turntable itself when I bought it new.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options

Thanks, Greg!

s4pmplcxev4j.jpg

I'm jealous. Nice looking table.
  • Dawgfish
    Options

Thanks! A local Craiglist transaction that my wife still rues (I went for the Micro Seiki and came back with it plus several hundred LPs!)

Good eye--the cart is a Stanton 881S. Stylus was collapsed when I acquired it (actually torn off IIRC), so I replaced it with a JICO shibata. I've been quite happy with it.

That's awesome! Sounds like the wife made a great score! I've yet to try a Stanton. A 681, 881, and 981 are on my list to try. Congrats again on the beautiful setup and score on the clamp.
  • inspiredsports
    Options
    I've not dug that deep into my stash yet but believe I have 1 or 2 Stanton 681 EEE MKIII's here and probably at least 1 never-to-touch-vinyl replacement stylus. Will check
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • inspiredsports
    Options
    I have cartridge serial # L9287 in good condition (trading for $80-$100 + S&H on eBay) and a new stylus lists at $120 (these actually sell for about $55 + S&H). This cartridge has a great stylus installed, and will modify my comment the replacement I have never touched vinyl. I inspected with my loupe and can see I tested the new one, so it's probably seen an album side or two.
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Dawgfish
    Options
    I've not dug that deep into my stash yet but believe I have 1 or 2 Stanton 681 EEE MKIII's here and probably at least 1 never-to-touch-vinyl replacement stylus. Will check

Oh wow! Awesome! I am definitely interested if you would like to part ways with one. Thanks!
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've always felt these are amazing for the price and worth well more than their retail selling prices.

Let's make this set of 1 cartridge with 2 great stylii (??) $125 Shipped to some happy Polk vinyl junkie. (or IM me if we are close)

fp4lo9q865hp.jpg
    Post edited by inspiredsports on
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Dawgfish
    Options
    Deal! PM sent!
  • inspiredsports
    Options
    I believe you will love this little jewel !!
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels