Subwoofer question(s) for my setup

Options
Hello, so just as a starting point this is my current setup:

- 705 Fronts, 706c Center, 702 F/X surrounds

I also currently have a Klipsch R-115SW subwoofer. This sub is, in terms of stature at least, a monster. I've been a long time message board reader/researcher/etc of audio and I've always seen so many people mention SVS in regards to being a high quality brand. Well today I have the opportunity to get an SVS PB-1000 sub for $325 and I guess I'm just trying to figure out what this is going to get me in comparison to my current Klipsch? I mean obviously the Klipsch is much bigger, but that doesn't equate to being better in all cases. Also it's not like I have some kind of massive living room or anything, it's (and this is estimating) about 12' x probably around 20'. A little less I'd say. So what do you think?

Also, the whole Small/Large/Crossover thing. If I'm running this 10" sub with my current speakers, should I still be doing what I do now, which is all speakers set to Small and Crossover at 80hz? This has always been a setting that I've just never been sure of and tend to see a lot of conflicting opinions. Thanks.

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    A single PB 1000 is probably a little small for that room.

The small setting at 80 Hz is just a guide. Personally I have the 705's and 706 set at 60, just sounds better to me.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    The Klipsch 115SW is solid. You would need an SVS PB2000 to equal it and a PB13 Ultra to exceed its output. The PB1000 would be a waste of time and money.

If you are looking for more output I would suggest adding a second 115SW. If the 115SW overloads your room now or is simply physically larger than you like you could consider replacing it with a faster sealed box subwoofer like the SVS SB13 Ultra design.

Running the speakers as small is fine. It is also easy to switch and run the main speakers as large if you prefer the sound that way. Entirely up to your preference in your room.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The Klipsch 115SW is solid. You would need an SVS PB2000 to equal it and a PB13 Ultra to exceed its output. The PB1000 would be a waste of time and money.

If you are looking for more output I would suggest adding a second 115SW. If the 115SW overloads your room now or is simply physically larger than you like you could consider replacing it with a faster sealed box subwoofer like the SVS SB13 Ultra design.

Running the speakers as small is fine. It is also easy to switch and run the main speakers as large if you prefer the sound that way. Entirely up to your preference in your room.

This^^^^^

DOUBLE THIS ^^^
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    I'll triple this^^^^^^
    Unless the OP is going to run both in opposite corners. My living room was 12x15 and i had a 15" in one corner and a 12" in the back opposite corner. Smooth as silk.