What exact model are these? Tweeter fix? Midrange fix?

Picked these up at a yard sale Saturday. Which Monitor 10 model are they?
Is there a way to fix the one wrinkled tweeter cover or should I leave it alone? What about that midrange center that is pushed in? They sound really good. fvvkc3shlzto.jpg
d2kzszytysj9.jpg
zhgbtrk837w6.jpg
0sdswfo2ye5m.jpg

Best Answers

• deucekazoo
    deucekazoo Posts: 146
    Answer ✓
    These are the second series. They have the SL2000 tweeter. I would replace the tweeter if you want to keep them. For one, the tweeter is that dome, its not a dust cap, so the sound should be distorted because it is pushed in. Two, a lot of people don't like this tweeter because it has a huge peak at one of the frequencies and that makes them sound bright. The new replacement tweeters from Polk are better and don't have that peak. So killing two birds with one stone kind of a thing.
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/38755/polk-audio-speaker-wiring-schematics-more-all-models-except-sda#latest
    The above link is to the x-over schematic. Yours should be the M10_REV. Just look under the MONITOR section. Also as mentioned do a search, there is a lot of into on fixing these and making them sing again. Have fun.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs

Answers

• Also, I paid $75 for the speakers, stands, and a Yamaha receiver that is probably worth about $40-50 on Craigslist. Did I get robbed or come out good on that deal? Chuck
  • Thank you for info. What model are these?
    The tweeter seems to work. Should I mess with it?
  • Thanks for all the good info. You guys know your stuff. What do replacement tweeters cost from Polk? I have seen 10, 10a, and some other model designations for the Monitor 10. What are these?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Soundchuck wrote: »
    Also, I paid $75 for the speakers, stands, and a Yamaha receiver that is probably worth about $40-50 on Craigslist. Did I get robbed or come out good on that deal? Chuck

That's a good deal, I'm getting the exact same combo tonight for $100 ( Monitor 10, stands, Yamaha receiver, and it comes with a worthless cabinet as part of the deal).
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    deucekazoo wrote: »
    For one, the tweeter is that dome, its not a dust cap, so the sound should be distorted because it is pushed in.

I am addressing this portion of the post because the rest of the information is correct.

But that is, in fact, a dust cap. A soft dome tweeter is just like any other speaker in that it does indeed have a voice coil. The voice coil is protected by a surround and dust cap just like the mid is but there is no cone to speak of as the frequencies being produced do not require one as such. Typically, the dust cap is attached directly to the surround or the voice coil former.
    This is a cutaway of a Morel tweeter but the concept is the same:

x210PiCCTWR-o_cutaway.jpg

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    Call Polk CS get some rd-0194's to replace those set you back about 50$ each. They are much better tweeters. Let them know you are a club polk member and the discount will be applied. If you neglect to mention they will charge you 60-65 each i believe. You did good on the buy.
  • deucekazoo
    deucekazoo Posts: 146
    edited July 2017
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    deucekazoo wrote: »
    For one, the tweeter is that dome, its not a dust cap, so the sound should be distorted because it is pushed in.

I am addressing this portion of the post because the rest of the information is correct.

but there is no cone to speak of as the frequencies being produced do not require one as such. Typically, the dust cap is attached directly to the surround or the voice coil former.

So how do the frequencies get created? Yes that dome is a dust cap but is also what produces your frequencies, it is the cone. That is why they make this dome out of different materials like aluminum, titanium, magnesium, beryllium, silk on and so on. Each material has its own sound signature. On a mid or a woofer if the dust cap get pushed in or cut off it does not modify the sound (to a degree) because the cone produces the sound. Cut it off on a tweeter and see what happens. A pushed in tweeter dome modifies the original shape and could or does not have to sound bad or distorted. You might hear it or you might not, depending on your hearing. That dome is the diaphragm/cone.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs