2.3TL modification plan

Dear all, new in here. I am a 2.3TL users from Hong Kong and going to modify my polk. Great to join the forum so can learnt from you all.

Firstly seems difficult to get blackhole here.. I found there is something similar from Jantzen which i guess can replace the blackhole...anyone tried or any comment?7ez2xtek1c0y.png

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited June 2017
    Well i do not recommend it. That is nothing more than upholstery batting with adhesive. In the upholstery industry we call it "bluetick" . I tried and stapled bluetick in a set of speakers once and promptly removed it. Convoluted mattress foam worked much better in my case. Seems strange that you can't find Blackhole over there.
  • luccas5678
    luccas5678 Posts: 16
    Thanks Pitdogg2.

Btw, i have another question about cap mod. I did ordered Jimpod XO board and thinking what cap shall be used for XO. Personally i prefer ClarityCap CSA series, but some they do not have exact values.

Totally there are 5 caps required:

27uf-> have exact value
    18uf-> have exact value
    16uf-> only has 15uf (i.e. 6.3% diff), or i need 15uf + 1uf connected in parallel to come up with 16uf
    8uf-> only has 8.2uf, i.e. 2.5% more
    5.8uf-> only has 5.6uf, i.e. 3.5% less

so especially for 5.8 and 8uf case, will such minor difference in value acceptable and not much impact to quality? I searched and found many XO upgrade on 2.3TL are also using Claritycap and i am not sure if they also use 5.6 and 8.2 only?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Use Sonicap caps, exact values and a slightly warmer/musical sound signature.

Do not use a large value (15) with a small value (1). If you need to use more than one cap to obtain a value use as equal as possible values, such as two 8uF's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• luccas5678
    F1nut wrote: »
    Use Sonicap caps, exact values and a slightly warmer/musical sound signature.

Do not use a large value (15) with a small value (1). If you need to use more than one cap to obtain a value use as equal as possible values, such as two 8uF's.

Thank you so much!
  • luccas5678
    btw, i am placing order for resistor via http://www.partsconnexion.com/

I am keen on Duelund, however, their 22.5 ohm did stock out...is it a big difference or disadvantage if i use 22ohm instead?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    To my ears .5 ohms is very obvious.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• luccas5678
    edited June 2017
    F1nut wrote: »
    To my ears .5 ohms is very obvious.

thanks for your advice...i will try the best stick to 22.5ohm then. thx again.
  • luccas5678
    Got the board today! Time to startxe6x40lapgtg.jpg
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Have fun!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • luccas5678
    machone wrote: »
    Have fun!

Thank you!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Glad they got there safely. Have fun!
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • luccas5678
    Glad they got there safely. Have fun!

Thank you so much and don't mind mail to Hong Kong!