Massdrop edition Sennheiser HD650's drop in six days for $249.99.

Dabutcher
Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
edited June 2017 in Headphones
MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”

Comments

• gumbay13
    gumbay13 Posts: 360
    Thanks for the heads up. Very tempting indeed.
    AMP/Pre Pro: Outlaw 7000x, Marantz AV7703
    Speakers: Fronts:LSiM 705s/ Center: LSiM 706c / Surrounds: LSim 703s
    SUB: Rythmik LV12R x2
    Source:OPPO UDP-203
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Nice! These have been on the want list for a bit. I need to move on a set. Then, add in a JDS Labs C5D amp/DAC and I will be all set for cans! The other option..... I had a chance to test out the Pioneer and Onkyo Hi-Res music players...would love one of those as they have decent DAC's already.

Well...we will see....funds are a little tight right now. So, the great deals I found on the Polk family (UltraFocus 8000, Buckle, Hinge) will do for now.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Will be trying to get a set--I can't imagine a way where this drop doesn't bring the site to its knees. Going to be a crush of traffic!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    That's what happened last time they did this drop (3months ago +-).
    I set a reminder on my phone.
    Fortunately, it opens at 6am PST meaning i'll be well awake when it drops.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Damn I want Momentums
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    edited June 2017
    I wonder how they stack up against my Sonys...
    They look like the ATH W5000 for reference, I just don't recall or am able to google the model number right now...
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I had some HD650's and really like them better then my GRado RSi2's and some Hifimans HE400...I found some 700's for around $300 once and bought them and Scott now has the 650's & they are great headphones.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Cool, now all I need to do is find them!!!! Haven't seen them since I moved :#:o:s

• mrbiron
    Estimated delivery is 12/18......I may cancel my order. :/
  • agfrost
    eh, by the time they arrive it'll be a wonderful surprise to yourself!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
  • mrbiron
    Because I would have flat out forgot I bought them.. :D
  • Dabutcher
    Available today. Limited to 7,000. Good point made. No delivery til December? Sucks when a lot of people are used to two day free shipping. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • agfrost
    9 hours left--if they sell another ~400 pair the price goes down to $199.

You can commit to buy only if the price hits that mark. Hard to beat if 650's are on your radar.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx
    Jay
  • Dabutcher
    edited June 2017
    91kdst8bm1l1.png
    Price is at $199.00 now w &15 for shipping. Peace. D
  • Dabutcher
    $15.00 international shipping. Free CON USA shipping.
  • afterburnt
    Gat damned tax though!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Gat damned tax though!

Kwit being a twit
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • afterburnt
    edited June 2017
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Gat damned tax though!

Kwit being a twit

What? I happily pay taxes in AZ but not Kali! Kali sucks a mule egg!
  • mrbiron
    Guess I HAVE to keep the order now... ;)
  • mrbiron
    I bet they change the ship YEAR next...2038 +-

Another price drop at 11,500 would be sweet B)
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Gawd I'd like to try these, but I don't think open backs will work at the office.
  • mrbiron
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Gawd I'd like to try these, but I don't think open backs will work at the office.

Do you live at your office???
    You can always try them at, oh i don't know, your home... :D
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Feels like it sometimes. No need for headphones at home.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Looks like they added 10,000 more units... open for 20 more days?
  • mrbiron
    Gotta love it. They add another 10,000 to the drop but are still saying 12/18/17.
    Any takers on the over/under?
    Good thing i was prepared and bought mine in the first 5 minutes.... :expressionless:
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Anyone buying these just needs to be aware that these need a good amp (preferably OTL tube) to sound their best. Most headphones improve with better amplification, but these more than most other cans really need it to even sound good...you can't drive these out of a portable device or even one of the entry level amps and really even get a feel for their sound as it changes dramatically with better amplification.

Woo Audio makes an inexpensive OTL amp (don't recall the model but it's around $500 I think) that works well with these, and you can go up in price from there for more performance. Many will be tempted to pair the Schiit Valhalla amp with these, as was I and had that setup for quite some time, but jumping from that even to the Woo was a big step up with these cans.

Basically, if you're not looking to also shell out a few hundred bucks for an amp then there are better headphone options out there, but if you're ok with that approach these can best many $1000 cans on the market.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    the bottlehead crack is a great amp for these, as long as you aren't
    afraid of a little DIY
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Anyone buying these just needs to be aware that these need a good amp (preferably OTL tube) to sound their best. Most headphones improve with better amplification, but these more than most other cans really need it to even sound good...you can't drive these out of a portable device or even one of the entry level amps and really even get a feel for their sound as it changes dramatically with better amplification.

Woo Audio makes an inexpensive OTL amp (don't recall the model but it's around $500 I think) that works well with these, and you can go up in price from there for more performance. Many will be tempted to pair the Schiit Valhalla amp with these, as was I and had that setup for quite some time, but jumping from that even to the Woo was a big step up with these cans.

Basically, if you're not looking to also shell out a few hundred bucks for an amp then there are better headphone options out there, but if you're ok with that approach these can best many $1000 cans on the market.

Woo WA3.

I still like it a little bit better then my BottleHead Crack with Speedball upgrade!

but both of these are best for 300-600 ohm headphone's.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Yep, either of those are a good starting point for these headphones. The last amp I had mine on was an Eddie Current Zana which itself was a big step up from the WA3