What's the better set-up for home theater?

BeRad13
BeRad13 Posts: 10
Room size 15x15
50% TV
25% Movies
15% Video Games
10% Music

I'm down to two options and have limited space so my options are limited.

Option 1: S10s for L R and rear surr with S35 center speaker

Option 2: Blackstone TL 350 5.0 surround

Which of the two options do you think I would be happier with?

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I second the motion.....
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Plus...have a look see at some capable subwoofers to round out the system.
    Are you using just an AVR? Or using it as pre-amp with a multi channel amp?
    We can spend all your money or you can give a budget on power side.
  • BeRad13
    Thanks guys. I know the TL350s have really good reviews, but the signature series seems like a step up -- albeit the S10 is the smallest of the bunch with the lowest output. The Polk website calls the S10 a surround speaker so I wasn't too sure how it would perform.

I would consider the S15s if only I had enough space.

I'm also very interested in suggestions on a powered subwoofer and receiver. I have $300 budgeted for a receiver and $300 for the subwoofer.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!!
  • BeRad13
    The room is 15x15 so not huge.

The S35 as a right and left speaker unfortunately don't fit the space well. I have a perfect sized gap beneath the TV that I can use which makes it a good choice for the center.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Given no subwoofer I would recommend bumping up to the S20. They are on sale now direct from Polk for only $50 a pair more than the S10.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I recently set up a 3.1 system for someone with a pair of S10 bookies and the S35 center. Sounded pretty good. I've also heard the TL350s, and you'd be surprised how good those satellites can sound. You can't go wrong either way in a small room. This forum might be a little biased toward box speakers over sats. Buy the best AVR and sub you can get within your budget, and you'll be a happy camper. Look around for a deal on a Yamaha RX-V383? The Polk PSW125 sub wouldn't be a bad choice. Both should certainly be within budget.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Save a little more for a sub and consider something like this:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk3.html

Would go with the signature series of the two.

Couple years ago, I wouldn't have recommended sound bars, but there are quite a few good sounding ones out there. If you have really limited space, it's something you may want to look into before diving in.

Won't hurt to give a few a listen.
  • BeRad13
    Great advice, thanks guys.

I have immovable built in shelves on the immediate two sides of the TV that are 10" apart, which means the max height of the speaker can only be 10", which is why the S10s fit but the S15s or S20s don't -- disappointing but I guess I have to make it work.

I could consider laying a set of S15s on the side so they fit, but I'm not sure how keen I am on that idea.
  • mdaudioguy
    edited June 2017
    BeRad13 wrote: »
    I could consider laying a set of S15s on the side so they fit, but I'm not sure how keen I am on that idea.
    No, you may actually compromise the sound by doing that. You'd be fine with S10s and the S35. Just work with the space you have.

• BeRad13
    @mdaudioguy, Best Buy has a great deal on a Yamaha receiver right now. It's not exactly the V383, but from the looks it strikes me as pretty comparable. What do you think? This would give me an extra $100 to put towards the subwoofer!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-700w-5-1-ch-4k-ultra-hd-and-3d-pass-through-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/5017701.p?skuId=5017701
  • BeRad13
    No pic at the moment DSkip. Sound bar could def work, and it sounds like the magnifi puts out a quality sound. I have no experience with sound bars myself, which is why I have been gravitating towards a more compact traditional 5.1 set up.
  • first option.. satellites probably wont sound quiet as full.

300 bucks on amazon. the manufacturer website says its 550 bucks so its probably a pretty good one. i had a Harmon kardon surround sound receiver once. it sounded awesome for movies.

https://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-Performance-AVR-1710S/dp/B016A6IDY2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1497141067&sr=1-3&keywords=harmon+kardon+avr

i also think denon make a nice surround sound recevier in that price range.

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-Receiver-Audio-Component-AVRS530BT/dp/B06XYD1RZ3/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1497141313&sr=1-9&keywords=denon+avr

i have this sub and i really like mine..

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-12-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B000092TT0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1497141485&sr=1-1&keywords=polk+psw+505
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• BeRad13
    Mdaudio guy -- very helpful. I may go with the Best Buy deal on last year's Yamaha receiver, as the added features for the new version don't seem to be that much different.
  • BeRad13
    @dannylightning -- psw 505 for $199 is a pretty sick deal.

Does anyone else have or have Demo'd the 505?
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Option 1 and hope you don't decide you want music way more than video
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    The 505 is one of the best sub $200 subwoofers you can get. I would look at your budget and see what you can swing for a sub, try to swing the HSU VTF1 or this one https://www.amazon.com/SVS-SB12-NSD-400-watt-Controlled-Subwoofer/dp/B009F8Y7SO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497142764&sr=8-2&keywords=svs If those are both out of budget then get the 505

That BB Yamaha is a good deal, you can also check A4L to see if they have something you may like better http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

When it comes to home audio there is always that "what if" that is best to try to avoid. I would seriously try to find a way to fit the S15 or S20 into your system. You can wall mount the S15 or make stands for the S20.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mdaudioguy
    @dannylightning -- psw 505 for $199 is a pretty sick deal.

Does anyone else have or have Demo'd the 505?

Yep, more than adequate, especially at that price.
  • seriously tho as people are saying the s20 is the way to go if you can make it work.. you can get a set of speaker stands, set them on chairs, on stools or something like that if you really need to. with a 6.5 inch speaker you may be able to get away with out a sub. some book shelf's can put out a good or descent amount of bass depending on your room. room placement does come into play for bass.

as far as the PSW505 the bass is very deep, i have owned many subs from different brands over the years. the PSW505 is one of my favorites. it has been discontinued so your getting it at a close out price. its was not that inexpensive at full price.

sub woofer placement is very critical if you want the sub to sound right. you just cant stick the sub in any old place in your room and expect it to sound right.
    https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/75365187-the-art-of-subwoofer-placement

Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• BeRad13
    What a day....everything is ordered and will arrive in the next few days! After much thought and contemplation, here's what I ordered:

Front L/R and Surround: S10s
    Center: S35
    PSW: SVS SB12-NSD
    Receiver: Yamaha V481

I decided to stick with the S10s as the primary use will be for TV/movies and having a quality center channel and SW made me feel good about the purchase. Plus, keeping the speakers on the shelves was a big part of the final sell to the Mrs.

Additionally, I'm pumped about the SW. Based on reviews, it's exactly what I'm looking for -- a nice clean and tight bass. It's also on the smaller side which def helped passed the wife test....

All in, I feel really good about the purchase. Thx to all for the suggestions and direction on going the signature route over the Blackstones, and especially to mrloren for the SVS SW suggestion and mdaudioguy for the note about a similar set-up that you had installed.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Congrats and welcome to the forum.

This leaves you room to grow if space and funds allow in the future. You can move those S10's to rear channels and go with bigger sig's up front
    plus1 on the SVS

Happy listening
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BeRad13
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

This leaves you room to grow if space and funds allow in the future. You can move those S10's to rear channels and go with bigger sig's up front

That's a totally awesome way to look at it....

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

That's a totally awesome way to look at it....

It's Polk's latest and greatest, so they're not going anywhere
    Let us know how you like when you get it set up
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mdaudioguy
    Glad you made your decision. Now you're getting closer to the real fun! I know you said shelves for the front speakers. How and where will you be mounting the surrounds, with respect to your seating position? And yes, that sub will anchor it all nicely, and even provide you with some real impact. Please feel free to continue to ask questions, but also let us know your experiences and thoughts with your new gear.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Congrats and welcome to Club Polk!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Hey all,

@ BeRad13 , how is the setup at last?
    I wanna go the same route, S10 allaround + s35 center.
    and maybe later move S10s to the ceiling and add S15 or S20 as fronts.
    Are happy with the sound overall?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    geroulas wrote: »
    Hey all,

@BeRad13 how is the setup at last?

Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited October 2019
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    geroulas wrote: »
    Hey all,

@BeRad13 how is the setup at last?

Good post.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.