Help in selecting timbre-matched speaker for 7.1

I have the following polk speakers:
one pair: 90-rt ceiling mounted rear
one pair: f/xi5 wall mounted surround
one: psw125 sub
one: csiA4 center

I need help in selecting two front speakers, bookshelf style.

This application is home-theater in a garage, fully insulated, sheetrocked, 9' ceiling.
The TV will mount high on the wall, with the center above the TV.
The only place I can have front speakers are at an 7-8' height above wall cabinets.

Are the the speakers I have listed above timbre-matched? will the sound be reasonable?
should the 90-rt's be the rears, and the f/xi5 be the surround, or the reverse?
which bookshelf speakers can I purchase to work the best with this application?

I appreciate any advice.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Which ever pair is furthest to the rear, should be rear. There is a dipole/bipole setting on the FX's

Sounds like you need a pair of RtiA3 pair of bookies. Get a wall mount and angle them down towards listening area
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    Something like this
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    Well, here's what my original wall mount installation looked like.

I had a home theater contractor install in wall wiring for a 'clean' look.

RTi4s for fronts, CSi3 center, and RTi4s for surrounds.

Not the best pictures, but you can use these for the WAF. ;)
    http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/hometheater/home-theater-2.JPG
    http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/hometheater/RTI4-Omni-mount-2.JPG

I went wall mounts as I figured I may be upgrading down the road. In-walls kinda make that harder.
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• txcoastal1

• johndt
    johndt Posts: 4
    thanks txcoasal1! I understand the layout, but not sure which speaker (F/xi5 and 90-RT) to use for side surrounds or rear surrounds. I would guess the F/xi5 would be a better side surround speaker, but I am not sure. Thanks for recommendation of RTiA3 for front speakers!
  • txcoastal1
    It really depends on the seating
    Is the seats/chairs going all the way to back wall?

Will the FX's be in corners or side walls?

If seating is up from back wall can the FX's be at close to ear level directly on each side of seating?

• johndt
    listening position is in the center of the room. the fx's would be side wall mount, not rear. the mounting height would be a few above listening position.
  • txcoastal1
    This would be my recommendation
    You can always play with the bipole/dipole setting once you start tuningjrbcyy88gx3c.png

• johndt
    awesome txcoastal, I will use that layout. thank you so much for your help! have a great night!
  • txcoastal1
    Good luck man...enjoy

The 90-rts are angled so when cutting in make sure you angle inward to best location...kinda spread out to the seating pend on ceiling height

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Agreed on the RTIA3 recommendation. Let us know how it all sounds.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable