Educate me on water softeners....

Options
steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,522
I know nothing about water softeners. What's the insider tips? I want something I can maintain.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hey Culligan Man, call Steve.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Options
    plug and play. Just keep salt in the brine tank and your are good to go. Are you getting a neutralizer also - are you on a well?
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Add a reverse osmosis system to your kitchen sink for more purified drinking water.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • steveinaz
    Options
    City water, no more well. Our city water here is very good tasting.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Call culligan. We did 10 years ago, have the gold system.....no issues.

I would check out the RO systems first .I believe they waste a lot of water to capture a few gallons of RO water.....can add $$$ to your water bill.

I would get your water tested first by a lab, get what filters you need with your install.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    I've been down this road. No way for me on Culligan! Their parts and service are Culligan exclusive and can be expensive. I ordered mine from ohiopurewater.com and have had excellent luck with their product. The Culligan I had was equipped with a digital timer and was always crapping out and became expensive. The Ohio softner I have has the mechanical regenerate "on demand" timer which has easily replaceable inexpensive parts. I think I got this recommendation from someone here on the forum who used this outfit. I can't recommend them enough! You can call them and get a live person for tech support too! They are a great outfit to work with.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »

Then may I ask why the need for a softener? Is it that hard ?
  • charley95
    Options
    The model I bought from them was the Fleck 5600 Econominder Mechanical meter "on demand" 48,000 grain capacity for $560 shipped to my door. It was very easy to install and works much better than my old Culligan even when it did work right.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options
    If a small amount of shampoo lathers a softner isn't needed. The hot water is softened not the cold..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • charley95
    Options
    warren wrote: »
    If a small amount of shampoo lathers a softner isn't needed. The hot water is softened not the cold..

Not the case with mine, both hot and cold are soft.
  • steveinaz
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Then may I ask why the need for a softener? Is it that hard ?

yep...for the water hardness issue.

• steveinaz
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks Charley for the suggestions. I prefer a "purchased" system that I can maintain/repair myself. Our new house has a plumbed-in water softener "loop" in the garage, so I assume it's gonna soften hot & cold.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,754
    Options
    charley95 wrote: »
    The model I bought from them was the Fleck 5600 Econominder Mechanical meter "on demand" 48,000 grain capacity for $560 shipped to my door. It was very easy to install and works much better than my old Culligan even when it did work right.

Fleck is some good stuff, If mine ever craps out that's what im going with.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    With Culligan, you pay for the service. With as simple as it is to buy and dump a bag of salt into the softener, I figured I could handle it, and I decided against the 'service'. Around us, Culligan is a joke and way overpriced. I installed a nice all in one softener (I think from Sam's Club) about 7-8 years ago and it has been working flawlessly. The one I installed three years prior to that one was a joke (compact unit I got at Lowes). In the short time I had that one, I must have dumped several hundred dollars into replacement parts.

My advice? If you're handy, just pick up a unit with good reviews, install it yourself, and just add salt pellets when it gets low. We have VERY hard water and go through about two 40 lb. bags per month.

And, if you've never had softened water... it takes some getting used to. I've used a softener for the past 17 years, but for the previous 29 years, had hard city water. I still have not gotten used to the 'soft' feeling of the water! I feel like it takes 10 times as long to rinse soap off, but it's much better on our appliances and fixtures.

Like Pittdog, I'm also wondering why you need a softener with city water? Is it that you just prefer softer water? If your water tastes good now, a softener may change that...
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    Just make certain you are using a dedicate 20 amp circuit and upgrade the power cable. MIT and PS Audio both make great softener cable that will make a profound impact on water quality.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • steveinaz
    Options
    Maybe I don't need one? See how dumb I am about these things? LOL
  • pitdogg2
    Options

I'd do a water hardness test. Unless you have high Iron or other liquid rock that is staining stuff or clogging stuff maybe you don't. My water runs about 450ppm of hardness mostly liquid rock. You can get testing done then find out what you need to combat your problem.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Not saying you don't need one Steve. It's a matter of preference. Some people (myself included) prefer hard water. However, living in limestone country and having a private well, it's almost a necessity for us to have a water softener. We have a lot of iron in our well water too, and the iron out pellets help a lot.

I will say that when I plumbed our addition, I ran a dedicated line bypassing the softener for our hose bibs AND a spigot at the kitchen sink. Why the spigot you ask? Well, long story short, fast brew coffee makers (Bunn, Keurig) don't like soft water. Something at the molecular level with the water and the coffee grounds causes a coating of sorts on the coffee grounds. They somewhat 'gel' up and create a damming effect. When we brew coffee with 'soft' water, we overflow the filter basket and spill hot water and coffee grounds all over the counter! A hard water line solved that problem for our morning coffee!
  • motorhead43026
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have city water and have to break the stalactites off the shower head so often. So don't think city water cannot be hard.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• pitdogg2
    Options
    I have city water and have to break the stalactites off the shower head so often. So don't think city water cannot be hard.

we are not thinking that way, But what you may be seeing is that some municipalities use lime and sodium hydroxide (Lye) to raise the pH in drinking water and it can cause crustiness as well. It also will raise the hardness level but will dissipate out. I have kept fish for 40+ yrs so water comes out at high pH then when you age the water the drops pH drastically. Mine comes out at a pH of 8.8 to 9.0 and settles to 7.6 within 24hrs. this drop can be detrimental to fish they need a stable pH. On the back side you can have huge amounts of co2 in you water and aging will gas it out and the pH skyrockets.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Columbus, Ohio water is considered moderately hard. That is even after they treat the water @ 7 grains per gallon @ the plant. I need a softer myself.

• motorhead43026
    Options
    Steve Google your city or manicipality water co, they should have info on your water hardness.

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Steve Google your city or manicipality water co, they should have info on your water hardness.

you can call also ask them to send it out to you. they must do it once a year anyway it's mandatory.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options

Don't move to Flint, MI.......
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've installed two of these:

https://www.ohiopurewater.com/categories/?categories_id=274

One in my house 10 years ago and one I'm my mom's house a few years ago. They work great. No affiliation.

Here's an old discussion:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2119206#Comment_2119206
    Post edited by Stew on
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    Options
    If you decide to install something like this, I'll be happy to help you size it. If you get something a little larger and dial the salt dose back, you'll use much less salt.
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,426
    Options
    Interesting, Al.
    Curious, is it soft water that makes it feel like you can't get your hands rinsed?
    scubalab wrote: »
    Not saying you don't need one Steve. It's a matter of preference. Some people (myself included) prefer hard water.

I will say that when I plumbed our addition, I ran a dedicated line bypassing the softener for our hose bibs AND a spigot at the kitchen sink. Why the spigot you ask? Well, long story short, fast brew coffee makers (Bunn, Keurig) don't like soft water. Something at the molecular level with the water and the coffee grounds causes a coating of sorts on the coffee grounds.
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Just make certain you are using a dedicate 20 amp circuit and upgrade the power cable. MIT and PS Audio both make great softener cable that will make a profound impact on water quality.

What about the pipe interconnects and the crossover pipe? Huh huh huh?
    They should be pure oxygen free copper with a rhodium overlay for increased flow and durability.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Steve,

Best thing you can do before going out and spending the coin.....ask a neighbor. See if they are even using one, and what kind/brand.

Personally, I've never seen that much difference between regular store bought softener's and the brands they sell.The only thing you really have to maintain is keeping it full of salt. They last anywhere from 8-10 years give or take some. I use the salt with the rust inhibitor in it to keep the salt content from rusting out the copper pipes.

The reverse osmosis thing for the kitchen is a good idea also, can get a bit costly though if you want to do whole house systems. As you age, your sodium consumption isn't going to benefit you and is something you'll sooner or later have to watch. You might want to think about offsetting the sodium a water softener throws in or just drink the majority of your water out of a bottle. The other stuff like cooking and showering wouldn't matter so much.

Just a few thoughts, you can spend 4-500 on one, or a thousand, the process isn't complicated on what these things do. Tricky part is dialing them in to your specific needs and tastes and they all have adjustments to dial them in, add or subtract the amount of salt they throw into your water. Also, you want them to regenerate while your sleeping and not using water, so set the timer for a night time regeneration.

That's all I got.....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's