TIDAL Premium or HiFi and account info

Looking to subscribe to Tidal and would be streaming to my AVR from tablet or phone via Airplay. I am assuming with this set up there will be no gain in the premium service due to Airplay limitations?

There is a firmware upgrade coming out this year for my AVR that will enable TIDAL, I would expect that will be better?

Also, does TIDAL limit the number of devices associated to an account?

Thanks,
RB

Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    AURALiC Aries Mini is all you need to know. B)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    Nightfall wrote: »
    AURALiC Aries Mini is all you need to know. B)

Yeah, I exchanged some email with Skip about that but for now want to settle into my rig. I have purchased all new gear since November and want to slow my roll a bit. Definitely interesting though.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    https://www.google.com/search?q=AURALiC+Aries+Mini&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=auralic+aries+mini+vs+bluesound+node+2

Makes for some good reading/researching on this subject. Not sure about the devices used though. I would imagine unlimited.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Easiest and cheapest way to do what you want is to get a chromecast audio for $35. You can cast to the chromecast, and that yields a little better sound quality than airplay.

Another unorthodox option is to get a fire stick and download Logitech squeeze server onto you computer. There is a wiki explaining how to get tidal onto the squeeze server. There is a squeeze app for the fire devices. This will also yield a little better sound quality than airplay.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I second the chromecast for dipping your toes into streaming. You can even run an optical cable to the dac in your receiver and possibly yield better quality sound. I used a chromecast fed to benchmark dac 2 for a long time and was quite happy with the sound quality.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    edited May 2017
    +1 for Chromecast Audio via Optical to receiver.
  • rburgess714
    Thanks for the suggestions will read up on chrome cast.
    Living Room

Office

• mikeyb128
    Just buy it and try it. 35 bucks
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• rburgess714
    Oh that's not the issue, I am trying to understand how that would be better than using the airplay mode on my AVR and streaming from my phone. I just subscribed to Tidal today and it doesn't sound bad, I just want better and I think you are telling me it would be?
    Living Room

Office

• mikeyb128
    Tidal hifi, with chromecast will sound better than "doesn't sound bad". But depends on how revealing your gear is. Some systems will not benefit from the extra resolution. The only way
    to truely understand is to try it in your own home with your own gear. 35 bucks for the chromecast, and a month free trial of hifi is the only way to know. Try the dac in your receiver of the dac in the chromecast (which isn't too bad).

My only experience with airplay was constant drop outs and the quality wasn't great. But I'm not the resident expert on airplay. Others might have more experience on the subject.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    With chromecast load up BubbleUPnp for the app. Matches well.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    Forgot to say. The chromecast via optical and BubbleUPnp on a droid cell to a dac or even the input on your receiver punches its weight way above what you paid for it. Like shocking above.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • rburgess714
    Thanks all. I will say I do like the content Tidal provides. Cool app.
    Living Room

Office

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I'm still waiting on this announcement from Skip about the Aurelic line and Android...
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    DSkip wrote: »
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting on this announcement from Skip about the Aurelic line and Android...

Right. Got busy. Coming up. It's not android but something more flexible.

What's more flexible than Linux?!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • rburgess714
    So I have had Tidal for a couple of weeks streaming via Chromecast with an optical cable to my AVR. I am suprised but it does sound better than streaming via Airplay. I think this will do until Yamaha releases the firmware upgrade to support Tidal or I get the Auralic Mini. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Living Room

Office

• erniejade
    I am glad you gave it a shot. That chromecast via optical out again plays way way way above its price point.
    I am not sure if the mini has an optical out? I thought just usb and coax @DSkip ??

One advantage the Auralic mini does have is the ability to put a hard drive right into the unit.
  • rburgess714
    Definitively a bargain.
    Yes, ability to add onboard hard drive is a big plus .
    Living Room

Office