Denon on EBay

Billm57
Billm57 Posts: 689
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
Has anyone bought any Denon products(or any other ht equipment for that matter) from thses guys off of EBay? ARe they reputable?
Post edited by Billm57 on

Comments

• brichard
    brichard Posts: 5
    edited April 2002
    Be careful.

Denon will not honor their manufacturer's warantee on units not purchased from an "Authorized Retailer."
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    yes I understand that..just wondering if anyone has bought from thses e-tailers and if the product was new and in good shape..as far as warranty..if I save 400 bucks who needs the warranty?-the odds of having 400 bucks worth of problems on a new reciever is pretty slim..Its a gamble I know but a small gamble in my eyes...
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited April 2002
    I use e-tailers most of the time, 3 receivers and no problems.

But there are just as many horror stories out there.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    which ones have you used?
  • caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited April 2002
    speakerhut.com seems to be on the up and up. I almost bought from them and they told me all they do is have their denon stuff drop shipped from J&R in New York. I contacted them directly and their wholesale division offered to sell me a unit directly for $260. I bought a 1602. They also offered me an 1802 for $340. I couldn't beat those prices anywhere. And when I called Denon they said they would honor their warranty from any retailer who was authorized to sell Denon. Even though J&R was not a listed as an authorized etailer they are an authorized retailer so I guess I am safe. By the way, Denon is not listed on their website, I had to call to get the price.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2002
    Billm57, Ya I bought my Denon DVD2800 on ebay. I could not find it for under $800. I purchased one off a retailer on Ebay. Under $500 with shipping. I could not pass it up. Very good/professional tranaction. Great service --doubled boxed --brand new--latest and greatest model--even had a good return policy. 6 months later --- Works great- no problems. Absolutly no regreats. :D
  • reidbubba
    reidbubba Posts: 5
    edited April 2002
    I bought a Denon 1802 on ebay. I'm from the Toronto Ontario area and the best price I could get around here was 850 plus tax (approx. 1000.00 total) I couldn't resist the ebay price. After shipping and converting to our weak cdn dollar, it still only cost me 604 dollars cdn. I was a little worried at first but have had the unit for over 4 months and I am very pleased.
    Bubba
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    Billm57, Ya I bought my Denon DVD2800 on ebay. I could not find it for under $800. I purchased one off a retailer on Ebay. Under $500 with shipping. I could not pass it up. Very good/professional tranaction. Great service --doubled boxed --brand new--latest and greatest model--even had a good return policy. 6 months later --- Works great- no problems. Absolutly no regreats. :D

was that possibly from Sound Pros??? they make a big claim about double boxing everything
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited April 2002
    If you check Denon's home page, it seems they've been having problems with online e-tailers addinf faux serials and falsly advertising warantees. Probably the best thing to do is call Denon and ask them if a certain e-tailer you want to buy at is authorized.
  • BBUBBA
    BBUBBA Posts: 66
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by caseymou
    speakerhut.com seems to be on the up and up. I almost bought from them and they told me all they do is have their denon stuff drop shipped from J&R in New York. I contacted them directly and their wholesale division offered to sell me a unit directly for $260. I bought a 1602. They also offered me an 1802 for $340. I couldn't beat those prices anywhere. And when I called Denon they said they would honor their warranty from any retailer who was authorized to sell Denon. Even though J&R was not a listed as an authorized etailer they are an authorized retailer so I guess I am safe. By the way, Denon is not listed on their website, I had to call to get the price.

can you provide me with there wholesale division phone #

thanks

BUBBA
  • mmfinn
    mmfinn Posts: 8
    edited April 2002
    It is safe to buy from a e-retailer if you do your homework and use common sense. I purchased the following, all on line, and saved about 8Gs. The speakers were purchased from the same source with the receiver and monitor coming from two others.

RT3000p
    CS1000p
    f/x1000
    psw650
    VSX-49TX
    TH-50PHD3U

Good luck shopping and have fun.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2002
    Before I would go e-bay I would check out these two e-tailers. (just click on the name)

Sound Professionals

Reliable Audio Video

Sound Pros has an excellent reputation and I have heard good things about Reliable. They are not authorized Denon e-tailers but supposedly will match the Denon warranty and I have heard actually live up to their word. At least check out their prices and then call 6th Ave. . They are and authorized e-tailer and very good to work with.

I checked out the two dealers above and then called 6th Ave. and they took really good care of me. I now have a fully factory warranted Denon 1802 and will buy from them again. I was asked not to tell the price I paid but there was NO reason to by from anywhere else!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by shack
    Before I would go e-bay I would check out these two e-tailers. (just click on the name)

Sound Professionals

Reliable Audio Video

Sound Pros has an excellent reputation and I have heard good things about Reliable. They are not authorized Denon e-tailers but supposedly will match the Denon warranty and I have heard actually live up to their word. At least check out their prices and then call 6th Ave. . They are and authorized e-tailer and very good to work with.

I checked out the two dealers above and then called 6th Ave. and they took really good care of me. I now have a fully factory warranted Denon 1802 and will buy from them again. I was asked not to tell the price I paid but there was NO reason to by from anywhere else!
    Reliable was cheaper than sound pros by 50 bucks!!! Just oreder from Reliable..6th Avenue was asking MSR price of 799
  • shack
    edited April 2002
    Did you call 6th Ave? You have to speak to a live salesperson. Tell them what you have found and see if they will match it>

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited April 2002
    I can vouch for ReliableAudioVideo, I purchased the Denon2802 from them about 6 months ago for $549.00(now lists for $539.00) and have been very pleased with this unit. Everything was on the up-and-up with them, all emails were promptly responded to, the product shipped just as they said it would. Now I have a pretty fair performer for my home theater, and it came at a pretty reasonable price.

I have also used Brandnamez.com for a pair of RT35i's, this also worked without a hitch.
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by OrangeToupee
    I can vouch for ReliableAudioVideo, I purchased the Denon2802 from them about 6 months ago for $549.00(now lists for $539.00) and have been very pleased with this unit. Everything was on the up-and-up with them, all emails were promptly responded to, the product shipped just as they said it would. Now I have a pretty fair performer for my home theater, and it came at a pretty reasonable price.

I have also used Brandnamez.com for a pair of RT35i's, this also worked without a hitch.

only fair???
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Did you call 6th Ave? You have to speak to a live salesperson. Tell them what you have found and see if they will match it>
    ill do that now and seee what they say althought they have it listed for 798 so I dount they will beat reliable where it was 529 with an online coupon from thier site
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited April 2002
    only fair???

Trying to be humble; sure, it rocks clean and hard.
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Actually they would not match it because Reliable was not an authorized dealer..they came pretty close so i went with them anyway just beacuse 6th Avenue IS an authorized dealer..I didnt wnat to get stuck with some "B" stock or something liek that..Reliable actually gets the product from a place called Uncles which has had some baaaad reviews. Thanks for the tip..should get the reciever next week ..will elt everyone know how it sounds..plus Ill have a bunch of questions as this is my first DD receiver
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2002
    For me, (IMO) it is the fact that I saved 40% to 50% on a piece of equipment. I only do this for high quality electronic products.
    It is known that they are not authorized dealers, that is why you get the awesome price cut. I in no way expect a high quality piece of equipment to just fall apart. The products are new and sealed. The warrenty on alot of these products are not very long, 90 days to a year for full coverage on many. Worse case , it brakes and you have to pay for the repair. The money I saved on the purchase would more than cover it. What is amazing is what people with a electronics dealer license get products for. It would make you cry. I live in a small town and the audio shops we have charge you retail plus a middle man fee. Screw That!
    Research---Price Compare---Go For It! Many times it is really worth the effort. The internet is a powerful tool. What sucks is paying retail for a product and being totally dissatisfied. A good thing and bad -- I've spent way to much money in the net but also saved alot. :rolleyes:
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    For me, (IMO) it is the fact that I saved 40% to 50% on a piece of equipment. I only do this for high quality electronic products.
    It is known that they are not authorized dealers, that is why you get the awesome price cut. I in no way expect a high quality piece of equipment to just fall apart. The products are new and sealed. The warrenty on alot of these products are not very long, 90 days to a year for full coverage on many. Worse case , it brakes and you have to pay for the repair. The money I saved on the purchase would more than cover it. What is amazing is what people with a electronics dealer license get products for. It would make you cry. I live in a small town and the audio shops we have charge you retail plus a middle man fee. Screw That!
    Research---Price Compare---Go For It! Many times it is really worth the effort. The internet is a powerful tool. What sucks is paying retail for a product and being totally dissatisfied. A good thing and bad -- I've spent way to much money in the net but also saved alot. :rolleyes:
    Thats how I feel as well..Im only leery of somemplaces using "b" stock..I use to work in the elctronics industry (Zenith) and it is a fact that many places will sell refurbished items as new..I steered away from Reliable becuase there have been reports of them doing that..through 6th ave I got an $800.00 reciever for way less..reliable was only about 50 bucks cheaper..Since 6th Ave is an authorized dealer IM more comfortable that they will be getting "A" stock from Denon /
  • BBUBBA
    edited April 2002
    I called a broker audiosound.com . they claim full warranty because the equipment is drop shipped for a authorized distributor. Plus they ooffer extended warranties which are through the Phillips repair centers located all across America.
    anyone purchase from them before or have any feed back about them?

thanks ,

Jeff
  • shack
    edited April 2002
    Your warranty will be only as good as audiosound. Try taking or sending a Denon to an authorized service center with a reciept from audiosound and you will get NO service. Denon is being real hard-assed about this stuff. I've been lucky in the past and have never had a real problem with audio equipment but just be aware that if something goes wrong and you have no factory warranty it could get expensive if your dealer balks at helping you (it has happened!). It is a calculated risk and probably a good one but my take is if you can get an authoized dealer to get close to most online street prices go for it...it is cheaper than an extended warranty they may try to sell. I was able to get 6th Ave (authorized) to sell me a 1802 cheaper than than 90% of the online dealers - the only ones cheaper were the ones I was really leary of because of their strict policys on returns (pretty much no guarantee) or had poor customer service ratings on various forums. Just my .02

• Billm57
    edited April 2002
    even though I went with 6th ave for the warranty I have never had a reciever go bad or need repair..Ive had 2..my old Marantz (which still works from 1975) and my Pioneer which Im upgrading to the Denon..if something was to break what could be the most you would have to shell out to have it fixed?
  • BBUBBA
    edited April 2002
    power supplies and output transistors can be very expensive to replace. I have a tech friend that fixes all kinds of equipment. Getting a break on the $ of the parts doesn't happen output transistors can go for $200.00 no labor. Power supply upwards of that. I'm not sure about digital stuff ?? Even more $$$$$$

Jeff
  • caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited April 2002
    The whole Denon warranty thing seems to me like a cop out. Are they worried about their warranty costs and the quality of their product? I think if someone has a good serial # and a reciept with date of purchase Denon should stand behind their product. I know of another manufacturer, Bose, that has something called unilateral pricing and they will drop retailers if they drop prices below what bose approves of. This defeats the whole concept of the free market system and artificially keeps the prices high.
  • shack
    edited April 2002
    The problem is wheter we like it or not it is a condition of their warranty and it is legally enforceable. I agree that it sucks..if they make it they should fix it if it is defective...but as stated it is a published and enforceable warranty condition. If you want a Denon product with a factory warranty then you better get one from an authorized dealer. Like Billm57 I have had Pioneer, Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, Denon, Marantz etc...and have never had a picece equipment break. I have a 32 year old tube amp made by a company called Concord and a Benjamin Miracord turntable that still work well. Just be an informed consumer and know what the risk/reward tradeoffs are before you buy.

• Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Shack-how long did 6th ave take to ship your Denon?? was it double boxed??
  • shack
    edited April 2002
    I ordered it on a Thurs. afternoon. It was delivered to UPS that evening. Delivered to my door in Tennessee on Tues. double boxed.

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    has anybody noticed the not so common denon models that float around on ebay? the avr982 and 1082? they look like the 2802/3802 spec. wise? anyone know the down-lo on these??