Oppo, why why why???

afterburnt
afterburnt Posts: 7,892
edited April 2017 in Going Digital
Question: Why does the sound level drop and tone change dramatically when I turn off the TV? I was playing files from a portable HDD connected to one of the rear USB ports with the TV turned on to show my ol lady how use the Oppo. I turned the TV off so she could use the media control app on her phone to select the music, no point in burning up the TV for just listening to music. I don't recall if this happened before because most of the time I am playing from the PC via USB not the portable HDD. The Oppo is connected to the P5 pre via analog, optical, and RCA digital (I dont think switching these connections make any diference in SQ when playing from the HDD so I can't tell how the Oppo is sending the signal to the P5, however is does change the SQ when playing a disc) The HDMI outs from the Oppo are connected one to the TV and the other to the AVR (which is not on). The TV should be out of the picture no? Can anyone venture a guess as to why this is happening?

Thanks
Bruce

Comments

• afterburnt
    I would have dicked around with pulling cables to figure it out but I had to go to work.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I'm going to assume that there is a current drop when possibly when you turn the TV off
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • afterburnt
    edited April 2017
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I'm going to assume that there is a current drop when possibly when you turn the TV off

Ron, dont ya think that it would be the opposite?

I cycled through the inputs on the P5 really quick and noticed no difference in SQ with the TV on and there is usually a marked difference between analog and digital. I will have to listen closer when I get home. But it sure is weird that the only cnnection between the Oppo and the TV is HDMI how the hell does that make a difference? My memory is shot and it has been a while but I dont think that it was doing this before, I probably would have remembered the volume dropping by half.
  • afterburnt
    AH HA! nevermind.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    What was the solution? Something to do with Oppo's control app?
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited April 2017
    my guess is oppo's level adjustment from the setup menu
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    my guess is oppo's level adjustment from the setup menu

On mine the choices are fixed or variable. I think the variable setting allows controlling volume through the analog outputs from the remote's volume buttons. But I only use the HDMI outputs in the current system.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    afterburnt wrote: »
    AH HA! nevermind.

He took his meds???

Just messing with you bruce what was the best medicine
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    afterburnt wrote: »
    AH HA! nevermind.
    Hahaha, Bruce, you're one of my favorites, man.
    I disabled signatures.