It's time...maybe

Comments

• bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    My wife has hearing issues like you described. She got Oticon at 2K each. They are well hidden in her ear and work great. They set you up with a qualified technician to adjust them which is critical for a year. Also put them away at night because cats love to chew them. Get them.
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Never thought you would ever go wireless. Just buy a bigger Amp.
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Good luck, the first step is the toughest but sounds like you are about to make it.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    bikezappa wrote: »
    My wife has hearing issues like you described. She got Oticon at 2K each. They are well hidden in her ear and work great. They set you up with a qualified technician to adjust them which is critical for a year. Also put them away at night because cats love to chew them. Get them.

It is one of the brands I'm researching and gets some good feedback. I have an Uncle I just saw last night and knew he had a hearing aid. Only this time he wasn't wearing it, so I inquired.

Told me he spent over 3k, broke after 11 months, got it fixed under warranty. Warranty expired and broke a month after that. So he gave up, didn't want to keep shelling out that kind of coin every few years.

I'm trying to avoid that situation, but apparently it seems impossible. Again, in our tech driven world, we can't make a somewhat reliable hearing aid for reasonable coinage ? We make devices to talk to anyone on the planet, for cheap yet, but not in the same room ?

....and we wonder why old people get cranky ? lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Tony, I purchased my last pair from our local University Hospital Group. They have an Audiology Dept. that sells and services Hearing Aids at a semi "reasonable" price compared to the usual venders.

• bikezappa
    My wife has had no problems and she has had it adjusted three times in three years of use. Batteries last one week. YMMV of course.
  • tonyb
    bikezappa wrote: »
    My wife has had no problems and she has had it adjusted three times in three years of use. Batteries last one week. YMMV of course.

That's actually exceptional, from all that I read on them. Does she have a model number ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    What?
    now that's just not right, funny, not right though.
    BTW, my doc said the first part of our hearing to go for many people is in the range of the human voice, and after a lifetime of listening to that, its affected early, many times
    good luck with your search tony, I'm kinda in the same boat.

humpty dumpty was pushed
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    tonyb wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Maybe Matt Polk will get into hearing aids and create an SDA one. :)
    Then there's that uncool cable running behind your head

. I've heard once you start wearing these things, you have a craving for Bingo halls, 50% off night at Olive garden, and reruns of Phil Donahue.

And that's different than now how?
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    edited April 2017
    My daughter in law has hearing aids, she has severe hearing loss.
    A year or so ago, one of her aids went totally kaput, and the other one needed "adjusting".
    My son mentioned that insurance doesn't cover the cost of aids. I won't go into a rant and rave about that issue, so I did a little online looking just to ballpark types/prices.
    Cheese and crumpets !!
    She has the "In the ear" models, not the "Behind the ear" or "In the ear canal minis".

I'll have to ask her in the morning what they cost her.
    Not knowing jack squat what was good/bad, I did see where Costco had an Audiology (?) Department that offered free hearing testing with the purchase of a set of aids.
    The DIL/son went, checked them out and, for all intents and purposes, their Audiology (?) Department belonged in the Garret Morris League. The prices were decent enough at .... $1250 a piece (can't remember exactly how much).
    She went back to her Certified/Registered Audiologist and mentioned the Costco deal and managed to get her broken aid replaced (out of warranty) and the other one "adjusted/tuned". I think that ran about $1100.

I frequently bring home a boatload of .... I think they're "#10" batteries for her aids. They don't last long, maybe 2 weeks ? I tell her they were on clearance, but she probably knows that I'm fibbing. At long as she keeps on making German chocolate cakes fairly often, though, I think our arrangement will keep working out. :)

I'll ask her tomorrow what aids she has. They aren't that noticeable and are certainly cheaper than the "In the ear canal" type.

The hearing is my left ear is fubar'd, the right ear isn't exactly winning any ribbons either. Too many concerts and too much heavy machinery will do that to a person.
    Thanks Mott and Allis-Chalmers !
    Sal Palooza
  • bikezappa
    Brand is Oticon model is Agli pro They are at least 5 years old.
  • tonyb
    edited April 2017
    Thanks bro, I'll dig into it and see whats what. Oticon, Unitron, and Phonak are the top 3 brands.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • bikezappa
    Yes that lifetime is excellent. She would put the hearing ads in the supplied desiccant every night and she would recharge the desiccant every 2 weeks. This maintenance maybe have extended the life of the hearing aids.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    ^^^^^ NOTE EXTRA LARGE FONT FOR YOU OLD F@RT'$
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    ika8hdower23.jpg

When I was a kid, my grandfather wore a hearing aid. It was about the size of a pack of cigarettes and he had to wear a shirt with a pocket to carry it. A wire with the earpiece ran up to one ear.

When we got to loud, as kids will do, he would just reach in his pocket and dial it down a bit. We'd get louder, he'd dial it all the way down.

So they do come in handy sometimes.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

What?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited April 2017
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

What?

Do you have an earinfooktion?
    I k#nthearU?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    T
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Think I found a more reasonable solution.

https://www.audicus.com/products/dia-behind-the-ear-hearing-aid

Audicus was created by a guy who was an investment dude from Bain Capitol who had a relative with severe hearing loss. Reading a Forbes article on the guy, he pretty much reiterates what I've found myself. A handful of companies make all the brands, markup is ridiculous for a product that has 150 bucks worth of parts in it. They all protect the pricing too.

His top hearing aid is 700 bucks, his mid line one is 600....with a 45 day money back guarantee. Don't like them, send them back, get a full refund. I'll fly it by the chief financial officer and see what she thinks.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Think I found a more reasonable solution.

https://www.audicus.com/products/dia-behind-the-ear-hearing-aid

Audicus was created by a guy who was an investment dude from Bain Capitol who had a relative with severe hearing loss. Reading a Forbes article on the guy, he pretty much reiterates what I've found myself. A handful of companies make all the brands, markup is ridiculous for a product that has 150 bucks worth of parts in it. They all protect the pricing too.

His top hearing aid is 700 bucks, his mid line one is 600....with a 45 day money back guarantee. Don't like them, send them back, get a full refund. I'll fly it by the chief financial officer and see what she thinks.

Good luck with that, Tony. Looks like a good compromise at a good price.
  • tonyb
    I'm going to hold off on purchasing any hearing aids for a few months. Reason...I want to try at least to address the Tinnitus I have which I think is the reason I can't hear. No audiologist will address it. Nobody has told me I have a physical problem with my ears but anyone who suffers from Tinnitus will attest to how it effects your hearing.

Believe it or not, Tinnitus isn't a problem with the ears in most cases.

Think of it like a loud nasty ground loop hum or buzz in your audio system. You find the source of it to eliminate it, right ? You don't make the music louder in hopes of covering it up. That's my fear with hearing aids.

I like to address the problems in no matter what, instead of band aids. You go get your hearing tested, they tell you can't hear xyz, and the solution is to spend 3g's on hearing aids. Nobody wants to look at the reason why you can't hear....even after telling them about your tinnitus and the severity of it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • I know of no real cure for tinnitus. I have the sweet sound of cicadas 24/7. Most of the time, I'm able to ignore it.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Tony in 3 or 4 years there may be a solution that will restore perfect hearing. So just keep your head down and try not to die.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    TX for Tinnitus

Treating an underlying health condition

To treat your tinnitus, your doctor will first try to identify any underlying, treatable condition that may be associated with your symptoms. If tinnitus is due to a health condition, your doctor may be able to take steps that could reduce the noise. Examples include:

•Earwax removal. Removing impacted earwax can decrease tinnitus symptoms.
    •Treating a blood vessel condition. Underlying vascular conditions may require medication, surgery or another treatment to address the problem.
    •Changing your medication. If a medication you're taking appears to be the cause of tinnitus, your doctor may recommend stopping or reducing the drug, or switching to a different medication.

Noise suppression

In some cases white noise may help suppress the sound so that it's less bothersome. Your doctor may suggest using an electronic device to suppress the noise. Devices include:
    •White noise machines. These devices, which produce simulated environmental sounds such as falling rain or ocean waves, are often an effective treatment for tinnitus. You may want to try a white noise machine with pillow speakers to help you sleep. Fans, humidifiers, dehumidifiers and air conditioners in the bedroom also may help cover the internal noise at night.
    •Hearing aids. These can be especially helpful if you have hearing problems as well as tinnitus.
    •Masking devices. Worn in the ear and similar to hearing aids, these devices produce a continuous, low-level white noise that suppresses tinnitus symptoms.
    •Tinnitus retraining. A wearable device delivers individually programmed tonal music to mask the specific frequencies of the tinnitus you experience. Over time, this technique may accustom you to the tinnitus, thereby helping you not to focus on it. Counseling is often a component of tinnitus retraining.

Medications

Drugs can't cure tinnitus, but in some cases they may help reduce the severity of symptoms or complications. Possible medications include:
    •Tricyclic antidepressants, such as amitriptyline and nortriptyline, have been used with some success. However, these medications are generally used for only severe tinnitus, as they can cause troublesome side effects, including dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation and heart problems.
    •Alprazolam (Niravam, Xanax) may help reduce tinnitus symptoms, but side effects can include drowsiness and nausea. It can also become habit-forming.

Alternative medicine

There's little evidence that alternative medicine treatments work for tinnitus. However, some alternative therapies that have been tried for tinnitus include:
    •Acupuncture
    •Hypnosis
    •Ginkgo biloba
    •Zinc supplements
    •B vitamins

Neuromodulation using transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) is a painless, noninvasive therapy that has been successful in reducing tinnitus symptoms for some people. Currently, TMS is utilized more commonly in Europe and in some trials in the U.S. It is still to be determined which patients might benefit from such treatments.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Some causes of Tinnitus

Common causes of tinnitus

In many people, tinnitus is caused by one of these conditions:

•Age-related hearing loss. For many people, hearing worsens with age, usually starting around age 60. Hearing loss can cause tinnitus. The medical term for this type of hearing loss is presbycusis.
    •Exposure to loud noise. Loud noises, such as those from heavy equipment, chain saws and firearms, are common sources of noise-related hearing loss. Portable music devices, such as MP3 players or iPods, also can cause noise-related hearing loss if played loudly for long periods. Tinnitus caused by short-term exposure, such as attending a loud concert, usually goes away; long-term exposure to loud sound can cause permanent damage.
    •Earwax blockage. Earwax protects your ear canal by trapping dirt and slowing the growth of bacteria. When too much earwax accumulates, it becomes too hard to wash away naturally, causing hearing loss or irritation of the eardrum, which can lead to tinnitus.
    •Ear bone changes. Stiffening of the bones in your middle ear (otosclerosis) may affect your hearing and cause tinnitus. This condition, caused by abnormal bone growth, tends to run in families.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tonyb
    Cathy,
    There ya go....Tinnitus is the result of an underlying health condition. To me, it makes no sense to get hearing aids without addressing any other health conditions. Once the Tinnitus is minimalized, then I can reassess the situation. Too many causes to talk about but one of the main reasons for Tinnitus is in the brain, not the ears.

So....maybe I can blame Polk and it's membership for **** with my brain waves over the last 2 decades ? I dunno, worth a shot. lol Just talking to Russ can screw up the best of us. :p

One just has to wonder, when a doc says physically your ears look fine on the inside, wtf is up somewhere else. Tinnitus is usually a warning sign, not THE problem but a symptom of something else. Spending a few g notes without addressing the problem seems to me anyway like putting the cart before the horse. Some research suggests it's a clogging of the neuropathways between sides of the brain. Like wifi static so to speak. A precursor to Alzheimer's they claim and a few other not so nice conditions. When the brain talks to other parts of the brain by electrical pulses, and those pulses are interrupted, it makes a noise, and that's what you hear with tinnitus. Some forms of it anyway.

Flipside is, the wife just wants me to get the hearing aids and be done, I don't roll like that without knowing wtf is up. Doing my due diligence now, researching stuff and I'll give myself a few months to work on it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Tony in 3 or 4 years there may be a solution that will restore perfect hearing. So just keep your head down and try not to die.

I'm doing my best, but other people have different ideas. This is why to never buy life insurance kids. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's