The best Speaker enhancement ever what a difference these make!

2»

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I have 2 antique Asian carved alabaster lamps in my listening room, call me nuts but they do make a difference

OK... you're nuts!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited April 2017
    I have 2 antique Asian carved alabaster lamps in my listening room, call me nuts but they do make a difference

OK... you're nuts!

:/ ...and quit blaming your f@rt$ on the baby
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    What is the placement of those there Asian Alabaster lamps, and are they plugged in for maximum enhancement, and what's a rectal thermometer worth?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885

OK... you're nuts!

:/ ...and quit blaming your f@rt$ on the baby

I've been blaming mine on the dog for years with great success.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    What is the placement of those there Asian Alabaster lamps, and are they plugged in for maximum enhancement, and what's a rectal thermometer worth?

Now you are getting personal

They are cornered for the best ambiance and are plugged into their own PS Audio Dectet AC Power Conditioner, with upgraded Cardas wire power cords
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • arekon
    arekon Posts: 77
    pretty sure SHE is supposed to be the **** blamer and we are the fallen innocent...
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    lightman1 wrote: »

But the placement of said lamps is crucial to maximize mid range impact. I know for a FACT that they sound exquisite when place 45 degrees forward of the planar orientation of any tweeter.
    You rubes will never understand my superior audio intelligence.
    Egg shaped marble nuggets will also make your IC resist bloated low end.

Huh?! Learn something new every day. ... and here I've always used Beano for that.
  • mhardy6647
    Before using the Black Discus, I tried using regular old Discus for system dampening.

gold_and_red_discus_150609a1_w0640.jpg

Worked pretty well, but after a few days the hifi lair started to smell kind of funky.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    lightman1 wrote: »
    63$ and two wads of bellybutton lint. Seller pays shipping.
    Dayng. Jealous I don't have any speaker idols to sell.
    Surprised he didn't offer his rectal thermometer :#
    I didn't know that was on the table.
    Not eatin' there anymore.
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Worked pretty well, but after a few days the hifi lair started to smell kind of funky.
    ah, the sacrifices we make...
    I disabled signatures.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Ooga Chucka, Ooga chucka, I can't stop this feeling deep in side of me...
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • mhardy6647
    At the risk of pulling this thread off topic, I would like to opine that, if any of you happens to own (or might someday acquire) any Setton components (from the late 1970s), you will have to get one of these little Setton statues to go with it "for best results".

apwgysxqbl4y.jpg

14428053854_6517a4c8ae_b.jpg
    Setton RS660 RS440 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    Those Setton receivers kind of have a Yamaha look to them which is pretty nice.

Unfortunately, Yamaha cheaped out and didn't have the comfortably curved knobs of the Settons which completely ruined the Yammy sound !
    Tragic ...... but true ! :o

Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2017
    Rick88 wrote: »
    When I first saw those Settons, I thought they looked a lot like vintage Rotel receivers.

jnkzi9wrbfjq.jpg

There is certainly cosmetic similarity; I suspect, though, that it's a case of 'convergent evolution'. I don't think Rotel (or their OEM) was the OEM for Setton. That said...

Amusingly, the Setton receivers were also sold, with only slightly different cosmetics (and some small internal variations), under the Lafayette (Lafayette Radio Electronics) brand. I am not sure who actually made the receivers; Luxman is often bandied about as the possible OEM.

The Settons are rare and crazy expensive on the eBAY market; the Lafayettes aren't common but are more reasonably priced.

LR5555 = RS440
    LR9090(a) = RS660

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/lafayette-receiver.598942/

I've never tried using either as room treatments, FWIW (and to stay on topic, y'all know that's very important to me!).

• mhardy6647
    edited April 2017
    So, just to finish the Setton/LRE thought :) -- in case anyone's interested -- here are the two above mentioned Setton receivers & their Lafayette morphs.

RS440 & RS660
    14428053854_6517a4c8ae_b.jpgSetton RS660 RS440 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

LR-5555
    14242580250_8b07a54878_b.jpgLR5555A by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

LR-9090
    15128722558_0e9f7f64a2_b.jpglr9090 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Eaton of Canada also sold an Setton/Lafayette variant under their "Viking" brand.
    amqgnggzuzjb.jpg

source: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/lafayette-lr-5555a.184040/page-2#post-9232532
  • wait, so putting something on top of your speakers can change the sound. or putting something on your cables can change the sound. this does not seem right but hell anything is possible.. when looking up Alabaster Slabs all i find is counter tops and what not.
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• mhardy6647
    wait, so putting something on top of your speakers can change the sound. or putting something on your cables can change the sound. this does not seem right but hell anything is possible.. when looking up Alabaster Slabs all i find is counter tops and what not.

Folks do -- interesting -- things in their quest(s) to make their hifi hi-er.
    Who am I to judge? ;)

anpw3slcnsdk.jpg

source: https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=hug&n=175100&highlight=mass&search_url=/default.mpl?searchtext=mass&b=AND&topic=&topics_only=N&author=&date1=2016-01-01&date2=&slowmessage=&ip=&sort=score&sortOrder=DESC&sortRank=Forum&forum=hug

PS I just noticed in the photos in that thread that the Emilar EH-500-2 horn sitting astride the Altec VOT cabinet has no driver attached to it. Not quite sure what is up with that. :pensive:

FWIW; Here's a more typical application of an EH-500-2 ;)

32368861594_12cb40a849_b.jpgDSC_7249 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(note the sophisticated, computer-algorithm-designed cotton flannel decoupling medium applied between horn and bass cabinet ;))
  • mhardy6647
    Actually, I think Colorado, Washington, Oregon, and a few other states (more all of the time) have a magic formula for improving audio system performance (or at least the perception of audio system performance). :)
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    The receivers kind of look like JC Penny m0bsh4l4ivv2.jpg
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Although I have kind of like the looks of the upper line JC penny 50tg99we1040.jpg

arbqexapliho.jpg

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2017
    Now, I'll grant you -- de gustibus non est disputandum...

but...

those MCS receivers in your post just above...
    just...
    eww.