Hate to be that guy

Like the title says, I hate to be that guy, as I don't know the situation all that wrll, but has anyone heard from @TNHNDYMAN ? I know he was going through a rough patch, but I haven't heard from or about him in a while, and it looks like he hasn't been on since November. I ask, because I bought some drivers for my monitors and a bdp from him, and here about 8 months later, I'm still without them. I hope nothing too bad has happened to him, and that his situation is improving.
2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Can you get his contact info from PayPal?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited April 2017
    I hadn't thought to try trust honestly, I'll give it a shot.
    Update, got his email.
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Can you get his contact info from PayPal?

2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    8 months?

You are SOL.
  • seabeerob213
    8 months?

You are SOL.

That's about how I feel, but I know s*** happens, and I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.
  • Nightfall
    I'm sure he'll make it right if you can get a hold of him.

• seabeerob213
    edited April 2017
    I'm sure he'll make it right if you can get a hold of him.

I agree, Trav is a great guy, just not in a great place last I had heard from him.
  • Gatecrasher
    I've had a few guys try to stiff me before telling me they are dying and other BS. I still file the complaint. I guess you could say "I am that guy" when it comes to this type of stuff.

Not saying that's the case with this guy though but unless he's dead, he screwed you.

If he's dead, his estate screwed you.

Either way you're screwed because you only have so long to file a complaint and I think you're long past the limit. That's how some guys operate though. They delay and try to drag it out until the 90 day limit (or whatever it is) runs out.
  • seabeerob213
    I've had a few guys try to stiff me before telling me they are dying and other BS. I still file the complaint. I guess you could say "I am that guy" when it comes to this type of stuff.

Not saying that's the case with this guy though but unless he's dead, he screwed you.

Either way you're screwed because you only have so long to file a complaint and I think you're long past the limit. That's how some guys operate though. They delay and try to drag it out until the 90 day limit (or whatever it is) runs out.
    Trav is a good guy, and has been a polkie for years. I knew he was going through a rough patch before buying, by he was able to work things out with others who had bought dmdrom him, so that everyone was happy.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited April 2017
    I've done transactions with him in the past (multiple - him as buyer on some more expensive items) and he was great. I think he really has had a tough time.

I sure hope that people show me some slack if I am ever in the same boat.

Hope everything gets worked out @seebeerob213
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065

This is not Ebay.
  • seabeerob213
    Agreed, part of why I bought from him was to lend a hand.
  • seabeerob213
    edited April 2017
    OleBoot wrote: »

This is not Ebay.

Part of why I chose to buy, wanted to lend a hand.
  • Gatecrasher
    edited April 2017
    OleBoot wrote: »

This is not Ebay.

It's the same thing (except worse).

eBay owns PayPal.

Unless the rules have changed, if the purchase was made on eBay the buyer has up to 60 days to file a complaint with PayPal before they are SOL.

If the sale was made outside of eBay, the buyer has 45 days to file a complaint with PayPal before they are SOL.

Either way after 8 months the buyer is SOL.

The stalling tactics I described that sellers use are applicable whether the sale was on eBay or on freakin' Polk Audio forum as long as the transaction occurred on PayPal. If the seller claims they have some "family emergency" or some other BS, 9 times out of 10 they are stalling so they can screw you. Even in the slight chance that they aren't, it still doesn't excuse them not simply refunding your money if they are unable to complete the transaction.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Agreed, part of why I bought from him was to lend a hand.

You didn't buy anything the transaction is not complete, sounds like more of a donation to me. If the guy really has fallen on some hard times the least he could do is keep in touch with you to update you on the transaction, regardless of his situation he at least owes you an explanation of why he failed to complete the transaction.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Nightfall
    I have made contact with him and a resolution is being worked out.

I knew it would work out.
    9 times out of 10 they're trying to screw you... don't be so cynical.

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    I have made contact with him and a resolution is being worked out.

I knew it would work out.
    9 times out of 10 they're NOTtrying to screw you... don't be so cynical.

I think I fixed that for you, Nightfall.

I like the patience that you displayed, Seabee. Sure, you might have been left shortchanged, but ..... perhaps your patience was the last and only thing to allow TNHANDYMAN to "hang on". Maybe not.
    But it's all good if you let it. :)

Sal Palooza
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    I bought from him in September and while it took longer than expected to get my goods, I did get them eventually. Some people have it rough, I just waited it out and it worked out fine. Could be worse, you could have a 2nd hand PFB piece if equipment coming instead...
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • seabeerob213
    nguyendot wrote: »
    I bought from him in September and while it took longer than expected to get my goods, I did get them eventually. Some people have it rough, I just waited it out and it worked out fine. Could be worse, you could have a 2nd hand PFB piece if equipment coming instead...

2nd hand from PFB Rode hard and put away wet? I bought early October. He's refunding me on the bdp and sending the "new" drivers for my 5s.
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    I forget how long it took but I saw as his list of sales got progressively longer, the wait time went up exponentially. And yes, exactly as such on PFB.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • seabeerob213
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Did he mention why he has been away from the forum?

It's not my place to tell his business, he told me as much as I needed to know.
  • Gatecrasher
    Glad you got what was owed to you. 8 months was a long time to wait for someone to honor their agreement to you.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Shakes head......
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Travis is a good guy. He fell on hard times. I don't think he was trying to swindle anyone.

That said, yes, glad it worked out. That's one of the reasons why I love this forum!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • seabeerob213
    I hope it all works out, and I hope Trav gets back on his feet. And it's cool @la2vegas
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    If anyone hears anything I would love an update. I did get my mid drivers a couple months back but last I heard things were headed south as stated on this thread. Hope all is going well for the guy and I hope you get your purchased items.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member