Nissan 300zx

Anybody here drive one of these older models? Any Z fans?

Comments

• What year and which motor? Back in the late 90s I used to race against them a lot. I was from the crowd of displacement over higher rpm, Saleen. My best friends sported the Z's VR4's and Supra's.

What do you have in mind?

Halen
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    I like the 1992 - 1996 twin turbo models. Not into racing, just always wanted one of these rides. See what you think of this one Halen. It has tons of upgrades that I am not even familiar with:
    - http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=28658&endYear=2016&modelCode1=300ZXTURBO&showcaseOwnerId=69224629&startYear=1981&makeCode1=NISSAN&searchRadius=100&mmt=[NISSAN[300ZXTURBO[]][]]&listingId=385549642&Log=0
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    Seems like the basic stuff on it for an engine rebuild. You'll be getting an engine with forged internals (pistons & rods). With those turbos you'll be looking around 400hp to the wheels. Which upgrades are the ones you're not familiar with?

I drive Nissan's internal competitor to the 300ZX, the Skyline GT-R, which is also a twin turbo.
  • Conradicles
    I am not really familiar to much in the car realm. Don't get me wrong, the upgrades make sense, I am just not familiar with the quality of those components etc.

Does that car seem like a good deal?

• I had a 280Z and other than the body it was my fav car ever.
  • Sami
    edited January 2015
    If the miles are in the right ballpark and the engine runs good then I would say it's a good deal. CP pistons and Eagle rods are decent stuff and certainly better than the stock cast parts. I have the same makes going into my build with a target of 500-550 whp. Turbos are the same brand, Garrett, just a little bigger.

The Volk wheels alone are worth probably $2k in the used market. I have Volk Ce28n's on mine.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Price seems ballpark with all the mods but the thing throwing me off is the low 54k miles....on a 23year old car ? They drive it once a week to church ?

In any event, you only buy cars like this if your able to troubleshoot and do some repairs yourself, otherwise it can become a money pit. So if that's above your capabilities, I'd pass.

I do like the 300z's, fun cars to drive. Makes going to the store for a loaf of bread a delight....but it is 23 years old dude and not something I would count on as a daily driver.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    I saw the title and thought PFB was trolling again. lol

But really....a good friend of mine had one before this body style and then 1 with this newer body style. Both were bone stock as he was not one to work on anything himself. But I do remember repairs charges being pretty high. My Dad had a late 80's Corvette at one time. And I swear I think these Nissan's my friend had were more fun to drive.

Sami, I would love to see you GT-R!
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Sami
    edited January 2015
    Here are some of the older pictures. Still pretty much looks the same after all these years.

proof1s.jpg

proof3s.jpg

proof6s.jpg

Boys and their toys... :)

IMG_1795.JPG

IMG_1792.JPG
  • The Z does look to have the typical add ons as many of my friends did. I believe my friend sold his for around that price many years ago. The Nitto 555 tires I had on my Stang were bald after about 6 months. The Z's are a fun sports car to drive, now the 95 Supra's, those were well ahead of its time.

Sami, I was lucky enough to see the Skyline in your garage!
  • Conradicles
    Thanks folks. I emailed the guy and he gave me more information on what is wrong with the car.
  • quicksilvergts
    quicksilvergts Posts: 274
    edited January 2015
    Seems pretty nice. Especially since you have always wanted one. Definitely worth inquiring about.

I have always like the 300zx myself. With that many upgrades and it being beyond a BPU ride. The HP gains seem a bit low. Might have been dynoed on a mustang.

I have done several upgrades for 2 of my friends 350Z including a Turbonetics single turbo kit. And I refuse do work on them any more lmao.

Reminds of F&F quote
    " I live my life a quarter mile at a time"
    BUT
    " I live my life a quarter turn at a time".

Nice GTR by the way!!
    I love my EVO. I will only buy AWD
    Every startup is absolute enjoyment.

Yes the NITTO 555 will wear fast but the grip
    is great, I used them for awhile and switched to
    Falken Azenis RT615 and went through 3 sets before settling down on some VENTUS V12 EVO.

Good luck and hope it works out for you!!

Cheers!
    Polk Lsi9
    Polk LsiC
    Polk Fxi3
    Pioneer SC-1222
    Parasound 1200 II w/ Kimber Kable HERO + 4TC
    SVS PB12-NSD (Bash)
    PS4
    Sharp Aquos 55"

"If your BOLD enough to try it,
    your BOLD enough to make it happen"
  • That 300zx looks very nice. I have always liked the z cars, and came very, very close to purchasing a 2006 350z track. However I decided I couldn't get away with no back seat, at this point, not even for a hobby car. I ended up with a G35 coupe, which I really enjoy but someday I will get the two seater. I love the way the 370z's look. Here is a photo of my lowly G35 project.
    h6ldwmi65m8x.jpg
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • I actually prefer the exterior of the g37 sedan to the 35 sedan. But prefer the exterior of the 35 coupe to the 37 coupe. The interior is nicer overall in the G37, but the G35 coupe is still pretty good. I don't know about the 35 sedan interior, I have never liked the 35 sedan overall. The 370z however, is just beautiful all around...my favorite z car...ahh someday.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Sami
    DSkip, the terms "superb suspension" and "production consumer car" do not mix and match... >:)
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Living in the north east, I stay far away from Nissan products...

They do not handle the salty winters here well at all. Putting my old Maxima on a lift that was 2 years old and it looked like a 10 year old car.

Put my 7 year old Volvo up, and it looks almost brand new still...

Once Nissan shifted production to USA, quality dropped BIG TIME, plus just a general lack of solid car design...

Never a good idea to add power, weight and bigger rims to a car and keep the same brakes from the previous design that were lacking to start with.

The VQ30 engine was a ROCK SOLID engine on its own though. Be VERY wary of the VQ35 though. Many of them love to consume oil. IIRC it looked like it was an issue with low quality piston rings...

As for the car in the original post. Unless I know who built the car, I don't buy cars that have been messed with that much. Many of the mods are okay and many are not that hot. One of the most important, especially on a turbo'd car is the engine management and they picked up a simple mail order tune. Not to mention the cheap/cheesy greddy exhaust...

If you really want it, get a GOOD trusted mechanic from a GOOD speed shop to look it over and give you an idea of how well this car was built. If it was slapped together by a bunch of "tuners", it can be a nasty money pit. If it's done well it looks like it has promise.
  • Conradicles
    Well said and good info Upstatemax.
  • footwedge
    footwedge Posts: 475
    Miss my 1984 supra.
  • Conradicles
    Sami wrote: »
    Here are some of the older pictures. Still pretty much looks the same after all these years.

proof1s.jpg

proof3s.jpg

proof6s.jpg

IMG_1795.JPG

IMG_1792.JPG
    Sami wrote: »

proof1s.jpg

proof3s.jpg

proof6s.jpg

IMG_1795.JPG

IMG_1792.JPG

@Sami ...You still got this bad boy?
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    edited April 2017
    Sami........I have never seen the older gen GTR's. I am pretty auto dumb on them but I thought they were never imported to the USA? Nice car. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    Sami........I have never seen the older gen GTR's. I am pretty auto dumb on them but I thought they were never imported to the USA? Nice car. D

They were never officially imported.

However, you could import one on your own and usually you had to convert the drive side to make it road legal.

Some just imported them as track cars and left the drive side be.
  • Sami
    Dabutcher wrote: »

This was one of the first 5 GT-R's imported to US by a company called Motorex that did the legalization work with EPA & DOT. The car was delivered to me by the owner Hiro before things got out of control (you can read more in the article below).

http://skylinegt-r.wikidot.com/0-60mrex
  • Conradicles
    A few months ago, I finally got the Z I dreamed of when I was in high school. Will post pictures soon...
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    A few months ago, I finally got the Z I dreamed of when I was in high school. Will post pictures soon...

Looking forward to those pictures!
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Conradicles
    f7mc23z0glp6.jpg

Engine is super clean. More pics later.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I remember when they were Datsun 280z
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I remember 240Z, a buddy had one. Fun car...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474

If I remember correctly Ken both were made at the same time and the 280z was the bigger motor car.

I could be wrong but both were plentiful in high school late 70's very early 80's
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638

If I remember correctly Ken both were made at the same time and the 280z was the bigger motor car.

I could be wrong but both were plentiful in high school late 70's very early 80's

Nope. There was the 240, then the 260 followed by the 280.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited July 2017

I remember them being called the "Datsun Fairlady Z"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_S30
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10