A Curious Question

Hello,

Just a curious question here.

My audio journey is going good this year. New S60's & S30. Two new Marantz SR5010 and I might be getting an Oppo next month. My bro is buying a 205 when they come out. He said he will let me have his 103 for a big discount so it's a we'll see thing there.

So to my question.

My HSU VTF2 is around 7 years old I am thinking that it will be the next upgrade.

HSU VTF3-MK5 will fit in the corner where the sub goes. This will be a nice improvement over my older VTF2.

A SB13 Ultra will also fit but is almost double the cost.

Would the SB13 be a double improvement for double the cost over the VTF3-MK5?

My older VTF2 already and still shakes the house. I have never heard the SB13 to compare it to.

VTF3-MK5 would be sometime this summer

SB13 would be a Thanksgiving treat.
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    In this case, I would keep what you have; though I am not familiar with your HSU, 7 years is not all that old for a sub IMO. But then again, I would have a hard time telling someone not to get an SVS...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    From a former SB13 owner, I would say go for it. That is a bad a$$ sub. And "compact"... sort of... as compared to its brother the PB13. Just picture a mini fridge on its side in your living room. And good luck placing that thing. The SB is a little more manageable, and flexible for placement options.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    My VTF-2 is a 250W 12" sub.still sounds great. With the S60's I'm having to push it a little harder.

It will take a while to save the cash for either so I have months to toss the idea around
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    The svs will crush the one you have.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    If you are waiting until Thanksgiving for the SB13 they usually have an Outlet sale. I have purchased 3 SB13's all from the outlet and the most I paid for one was $1200. Full warranty and the imperfections are usually not that bad. Just have to always watch the inventory and be ready to bite when the right price/condition is listed.

I don't have much to compare the SB13's to. The only other subs I have owned were a PSW1000 and a DSW4000. Night and day difference.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    The svs will crush the one you have.

Oh I know it will, If I remember correct I only paid $500 + for my VTF2-MK3. It has served me well and still does. Like I said going to the signatures I had to move it up +1db or it sounded a little lacking. +1db is no big deal, still sounds great and shakes the house. hmmm now if that shakes the house how much will the SB13 shake it?

I am also looking at the HSU VTF3-MK5 or a ULS15-MK2. When I had to order my replacement amp for my older STF2 the HSU rep told my the VTF3-MK5 had 3 time the output than my VTF2-MK3.
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    If you are waiting until Thanksgiving for the SB13 they usually have an Outlet sale. I have purchased 3 SB13's all from the outlet and the most I paid for one was $1200. Full warranty and the imperfections are usually not that bad. Just have to always watch the inventory and be ready to bite when the right price/condition is listed.

I don't have much to compare the SB13's to. The only other subs I have owned were a PSW1000 and a DSW4000. Night and day difference.

Save $400 oh yeah, thanks.

It all depends on timing and funding.

Here are the two HSU I am considering
    VTF3 http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html
    ULS15 http://hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2.html
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Tough call between the 3. Sealed subs have a different sound characteristic than ported, so having a ported sub for a while, I'd suggest you listen to a few sealed subs.

Not saying one is better than the other, nor do I go with the "sealed is faster or more musical" school of thought. Just the sound a little different, and it's simply a preference which type you may prefer.

Of the three I'd probably go with the VTF 3, simply because I prefer ported subs. Performance wise, I'd probably give a slight edge to the SB 13.