What a difference

Options
gprabu
gprabu Posts: 106
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I just upgraded from receiver to cheapo separates. I sold my Denon 3801 and bought Harman Kardon Sigature 2.0 preamp and Sonance 5150 THX ULTRA certified 5 channel amp. Wow! what a difference. Sonance is driving my Polk Monitor 10A really good. When i upgrade i was thinking of selling my Monitor 10A (look @ flea market), but now i have to reconsider. Sonance s driving my Monitor very good. Thinking of upgrade my Monitor with B&W.

Iam interested in B&W DM3000. Any one has a good or bad experience with this?

My usuage is 40% music and 60% HT.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I find B&W overly polite sounding and for the most part boring
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I find B&W overly polite sounding and for the most part boring
    I guess things aren't exciting unless your ears are bleeding, right Dean? :p

Aaron
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I really don't believe the Reference Line has that 'earbleeder' signature like the KLF Legends or Heritage.

I do like my music loud though sometimes -- but how loud can I get with a 15 watt tube amp?

As far as B&W goes -- it's that wonderful sound the English are so acustomed to -- compressed, flat, and no balls whatsoever.

Man, those new Klipsch sound like crap! Let's give them an award.

ces2.2.jpg
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • Aaron
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Yeah, look at that! They got an award from the circus! I always thought clowns had red noses, not orange.....

Aaron
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    That's the coveted CES Design and Engineering Showcase Award.

Maybe you should read into the criteria utilized to hand out the rewards.

http://www.cesweb.org/awards/innovations/default.asp?menuItem=7&subMenuItem=0&tabName=Attendee#best
    Dean

• gprabu
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Hi
    I think you know better about the B&W. Can you tell me how are these speakers. I have to drive 30 miles to audition it. So i just want to know a better about it so that i can familarize myself and get the CD's that will really tell the difference
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2002
    Options
    heay dean what do you think about b&k?
  • dean/klipschead
    edited April 2002
    Options
    goingganzo -- did you mis-type and mean B&W? Or did you type correctly and mean B&K products?

The B&K stuff is a tremendous value. I'm very high on it. They use good parts and the least amount of them to create a circuit. I especially like the amps. Class A driver stages and MOSFETS -- which create a warmer sound than most.

They show up used often on www.audiogon.com -- and it's usually possible to get a great deal on them.

gprabu -- Is Aaron the resident B&W expert;) I would take some CD's that you are the MOST familiar with. Take a few that you have heard hundreds of times. These are the ones you will most easily be able to compare in your mind to what you are listening to now.

BTW - I'm not aware of a DM3000. As far as I know the only current speaker in the 300 series is the DM303 mini-monitor. It uses a metal dome which will probably sound really good on the top end. However, overall -- the speaker will probably sound a little 'dry'. Good luck.
    Dean

• gprabu
    edited April 2002
    Options
    yeah! what u are telling is right! I have 10 songs that i know very well. But what if all my songs lack the music information that will make B&W toi the top or bottom. Thats why i need some more info before i go for audition.

DM3000 it is the old model. Iam just going for used ones
  • Aaron
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I'm a pretty big B&W fan (in case you hadn't noticed). What kind of price range will you be looking at? Here are the models I've listened to and a very brief synopsis.

- CDM7NT: 2 1/2-way tower, $2000. While I haven't heard this speaker in a properly set up system, I wasn't impressed for the money.

- CDM9NT: 3-way tower, $2600 (top of the CDMNT line). This speaker I did audition on an excellent system. While it's a nice speaker, again I wasn't impressed for the money.

- Nautilus 805: 2-way bookshelf, $2000. I haven't heard these on a properly set up system either, but they still kick some major butt. Definitely superior to the CDMNT line. Supposedly the Revel M20's that I'm currently in love with are better (for the same money), but I've yet to demo them against each other. When I'm ready to make my purchase I'll definitely have the showdown.

- Nautilus 802: 3-way tower, $8000. While I've heard these on good equipment, I can't say that the setup was what these beauties deserve. They sound amazing, as they should for the cash. I think these are one of the coolest looking speakers out there (for what it's worth).

Well, I hope this helps somewhat. Basically the only B&W line I would personally consider buying is the Nautilus. Some of their lower line is supposed to sound pretty good too. Russman has experience with some of them.

As far as what music to take, I'm going to be lame and tell you to take what you're familiar with and listen to frequently. When I audition speakers I take an orchestral recording, jazz recording, and a rock recording. That's pretty minimalist, I think. Make sure you demo music that is a good representation of the spectrum of music you listen to. Good luck, and let us know how you make out!

Aaron
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited April 2002
    Options
    B&w make nice speaker's. the cm and dm line's are no better than Polk's in anyway.They sound different but not better.For the money, go for it, if thats what you like.B&W you can't go wrong.
    If you were in the market for B&W, you should give a listeb to Dynaudio's.You will be suprised!!
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.