Next week...

2»

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    I don't like nail pops or rattles, bad bad bad
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    lightman1 wrote: »
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Beautiful. Except for that drywall....ever heard measure twice cut once??? :#

Needs a few more screws.... :D

I once saw Trey use a whole box of screws on one 4 X 8 board.

The 5lb box??
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Beautiful. Except for that drywall....ever heard measure twice cut once??? :#

Needs a few more screws.... :D

I once saw Trey use a whole box of screws on one 4 X 8 board.

The 5lb box??

Yep
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Very nice Trey! Now, get to work on those crossovers. :p
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Wouldn't recommend multiple layers of Sheetrock in a home. Other than the expense, you increase the chances of getting mold. The HVAC system in a commercial setting is designed to preform air exchanges about twice the amount as in your house.

This would be a better choice:

https://www.thespruce.com/does-soundproof-drywall-really-work-1821484

Of course if you already have Sheetrock in place, it should be removed, insulation added into the walls, and replaced with the sound proof drywall.
  • VR3
    Yeah, I wouldn't layer drywall
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    I would consider it on an interior wall, just not on an exterior wall, bathroom, kitchen, etc and only in a room that needed it...

I am using 5/8" everywhere, that wall is 6" thick, fully insulated (2.5 feet of insulation in the ceiling) - I would rate sound transfer room to room and outside as 2-3 out of 10 (with doors shut)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Super nice Trey, congrats man. Want to hear some thoughts on those speakers once you have everything down pat.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Congratulations, have fun!
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Word to the wise. Do NOT tell Trey that he needs to use more screws!!! He'll take it literally and double or triple up on them.

On the flip side, one could invest in screw stock prior to informing him of this and possibly make a small fortune.

I would venture to say the man used a 50 pound box of screws and a case or three of Liquid Nails just for 20 linear feet of kitchen cabinets. Everybody who was at Trey's agreed that in the event of a tornado, the safest place in the house would be those cabinets. Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Word to the wise. Do NOT tell Trey that he needs to use more screws!!! He'll take it literally and double or triple up on them.

On the flip side, one could invest in screw stock prior to informing him of this and possibly make a small fortune.

I would venture to say the man used a 50 pound box of screws and a case or three of Liquid Nails just for 20 linear feet of kitchen cabinets. Everybody who was at Trey's agreed that in the event of a tornado, the safest place in the house would be those cabinets. Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt.

Tom

He speaks the truth.
  • Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    True, but evidence suggests he does so indiscriminately and with abandon.

That makes it a high risk high reward scenario.
  • VR3
    edited March 2017
    Thanks guys, I am not shy with the screws but I will say that most of the screws I put in are in a place where there is tape/corner bead/tape, so its not that bad... :)

On the note of sound and such, I sold my Super Towers about 4 years ago now I guess (time flies) - bone stock, these speakers are the closest to them that I can recall.... outside of hearing Toms modded Linbrooks a few months ago...

On the flip side, given my room (which sounds lively right now) and the gear... (Parasound HCA500 and a Bluetooth receiver with 18 awg speaker wire...) they sound damn good... :)

The best part is my wife uses the setup wayyyyy more than me, that little Bluetooth device is a guarantee of tunes around here! :) She also really admires the look and quality of the Utopias much more than the BP2000 I had planned to use in this system
  • VR3
    After a week or so, the Utopias have really opened up with some placement tuning, the definite weak leak here is my system as whole (and the room) but I hear the potential... definitely a fan! :)

I have yet to find the crossover, Ive opened up everything except the woofer enclosure... I am certain that the crossover resides on a wood plate fastened to the bottom of the enclosure for "easy" removal.

The internal wiring is simply ridiculous, 6 gauge, absolutely stupid........
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I knew you couldn't resist modding those crossovers. To you, it's like turning down an "adult" evening with the wife. It just ain't gonna happen man.

6 gauge? Wow.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    I just want to SEE it... then maybe decide if I want to modify it.

But yes, the internal wiring looks to be silver plated copper, 6 gauge or so...
  • VR3
    Well.. I realized my phone could fit in the port....t3uxnjcfpzsx.jpg
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    VR3 wrote: »
    Well.. I realized my phone could fit in the port....t3uxnjcfpzsx.jpg

Don't drop it lol...
  • VR3
    true that!

So, Aeon is made by Solen... kind of disappointing... and the resistors are sand cast.

I could see once the kitchen and living room is done doing something with it, they are way above average as they are...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    true that!

So, Aeon is made by Solen... kind of disappointing... and the resistors are sand cast..

Well it could be worse as you know. Jesse recommended those once for my SDA2'a for the big caps over Solen's. Could it be he felt they were better than Solen or maybe they made bigger values than Solen...Can't remember. At least they have a name and not just "mexico" :#

• VR3
    Right right, I am not "complaining" it is just frustrating that manufactures still use low(er) quality parts in high end speakers...
  • VR3
    Of course, again, not complaining, but to me when you are selling speakers in the 13-180,000 range, an extra thousand or a couple hundred isn't adjusting the profit margin drastically. I can say these speakers sound fantastic, I don't have the normal "rip it open and see why its sucks" urge I had with my Super Towers. I can tell every part of the speaker was thought out and tuned by ear by someone with a solid set of ears... :)
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Trey
    HATRED
    JEALOUSY!!

I used to sell this brand.
    JMLab is Jaques Mahul's initials. JMLab was the speaker division of Focal (*who sold high quality raw drivers to a lot of loudspeaker makers*) Then they decided to just use the name Focal somewhere around the turn of the century when I was selling them. It was a phase in over several years.

For some reason French electronics seem to work well will these. We used to use the Utopia's with YBA (*Yves Bernard Andre'*) electronics.
    Or try Boulder.
    Not French or course ,but VERY good match.
    Krell maybe or Mark Levinson even.
  • I have never seen wiring like that. Crazy is right !
  • VR3
    I had to do some repairs to the upper drivers/wiring, I can tell you that is the first time I have cursed about soldering a wire... :p
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    edited March 2017

Right right, I am not "complaining" it is just frustrating that manufactures still use low(er) quality parts in high end speakers...

Well look at the bright side both are French :p
    Axon Caps are also held to tighter tolerances than Solen.
  • VR3
    I have spent a lot of time with these speakers since picking them up...

Picked up a Krell KAV 400XI integrated and Quadrax wiring, still running a cheap Bluetooth dongle to stream music....

Such musical speakers, so much fun. Regardless of the material, it sounds enjoyable, cant wait to finish the HT.