Best FLAC interface?

As much as I love the performance of my Oppo 105 for playing FLAC files off a portable hard drive, I am not crazy about the Oppo interface. Specifically, there is no way to quickly access a specific artist, or search an artist - you have to scroll through all artists alphabetically.

Is there a better way, using the Oppo to access FLAC files?
"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited February 2017
    You can use the "page down" button on the remote to scroll multiple artists instead of going artist by artist. Does that help?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    It helps, but I've got about 650 artists in my FLAC file, and over 3000 in MP3. So if I want Van Halen, it's a hike. I thought about breaking my FLAC file into 5 or six smaller files, like A-F, G-L, etc... but I'd prefer a different interface, especially if it included a direct path via a search feature.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Try the Lumin app on the iPhone or iPad. It's free, and is based on some standard, same as Linn, and works well for the USB drive I attach to the Lumin. It just needs to be able to see the Oppo IP.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Try the Lumin app on the iPhone or iPad. It's free, and is based on some standard, same as Linn, and works well for the USB drive I attach to the Lumin. It just needs to be able to see the Oppo IP.

They say it supports standard UPNP for browsing folders. So if Oppo supports that it should work.

http://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-app.html
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • daddyjt
    DSkip wrote: »
    Can you treat it like a dlna device and stream plex or jriver to it?

I do not know if Oppo supports this capability - I will do some research... thank you.

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• daddyjt
    BlueFox wrote: »

I downloaded the app, and I'll see if I can get it talking to the Oppo... thanks!

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84524.0

Above is a discussion about JRiver working w/Oppo.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited March 2017
    The Oppo app is awesome.
    You can use Tidal, HDD music or network storage.
    The app is smooth and easy to use.

Droid: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oppo.mediacontrol
    Apple: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oppo-mediacontrol-for-bdp-10x/id699429398
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • daddyjt
    Yes, it is great! I couldn't get it to work at first, but I realized I was trying to use it with my 95, and not my 105. Once I switched over to the 105, it worked like a charm - I run the whole thing from my iPad :smile:

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn