Took the digital plunge

Options
ROHfan
ROHfan Posts: 1,014
edited February 2017 in Going Digital
I'm just putting this out there for anyone who may be on the fence for going all digital. I have thought about doing it for a couple of years but the prices have finally come down enough where it is really pretty cheap and the results are incredible.

So I bought this Seagate drive: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H9TA1T4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It got very good reviews on Amazon and it's super easy to use. Just plug it in and go. Time will tell if it holds up for the long run.

I'm using a program called, "EAC," or Exact Audio Copy, for ripping CDs. The program works very well and does a great job handling old, scratched-up discs. I'm extracting the tracks to lossless flac files onto the external drive. I will eventually back up the external drive to multiple flash drives which I can also use in my car's audio system.

Along with the peripherals, under the guidance of my computer guru son I bought a new Dell laptop: Inspiron 15 5000 Series 15.6" Laptop Computer with HD Touchscreen. I also got an internal 256Gb solid state drive which my kid installed in the laptop after taking out the hard drive. The laptop is screaming fast and cuts the ripping time way down. Yesterday I ripped a CD on my old laptop and it took 3 hours. Today on the new laptop it took 20 minutes.

I went through and changed all the settings in EAC based on an expert user's suggestions. I can gladly share these settings if anyone needs them. My flac files have been flawless and sound fantastic in my 2 channel system.

Edit: I'm using the Seagate drive as the source for the Oppo, then going out to the DAC, to the tube pre, and finally the Parasound amp.
TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
Post edited by ROHfan on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    So....I take it your digging having all your music at your fingertips ? Kinda hard to go back to disc spinners huh.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • footwedge
    Options
    Plan to get there next February when I retire. Between cutting my DEAR mom's and my yard and other maintenance, I just don't have time. Who ever phrased "time flies the older you get" was 100% correct. As a pre-teenager I remember the parents talking about this and I was thinking what the F are they talking about. Now I'm living proof which is a good thing.

I was thinking about going with a NAS but since I only have 2 systems, external hard drives seem the way to go. I can't imagine anything better than fingertip tunes. Well maybe just one.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Options
    I did it 10 years ago, EAC has been around a long time. Then I got back into records lol!!!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • ROHfan
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    So....I take it your digging having all your music at your fingertips ? Kinda hard to go back to disc spinners huh.

Indeed. When I took a listen to the first one I ripped I couldn't believe the sound quality.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    Mp3's stink and sound horrid.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Cassette baby! :D

Thanks for the post ROHfan. I'm too
    lazy and need the push.

OTOH, I've had airplay for ever and use it about once
    a month. I didn't plan on it, but I've become a touchable-music
    collector.
  • ROHfan
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »

H9

Now, now...be nice to the new people...even when they're wrong. :)
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    Congrats. How are you getting the files to the dac? USB or are you running a streamer?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • ROHfan
    edited February 2017
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    Congrats. How are you getting the files to the dac? USB or are you running a streamer?

The Oppo 103 has a usb port so that's where the external drive gets plugged in. Then I'm sending digital out via fiber port to my dac. The Oppo is acting as the player.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    That's the same setup I use. HDD-->Oppo-->Benchmark DAC2. Super smooth.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • jumpindick
    Options
    I am going in this direction currently and enjoying my music...
  • stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    Options
    OMFG!

Run far, get away from that crap! Least I beat you with a bunch of Gladdy's qwta5qf82qcq.jpg

Draggin' a diamond through a ditch, magnetic waves to an iron head is the ONLY way my friend...

Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • ROHfan
    Options
    stuwee wrote: »
    OMFG!

Run far, get away from that crap! Least I beat you with a bunch of Gladdy's qwta5qf82qcq.jpg

Draggin' a diamond through a ditch, magnetic waves to an iron head is the ONLY way my friend...

I tried once to get back into it. I was immediately reminded of all the reasons I switched to CDs.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    edited February 2017
    Options
    So....I take it your digging having all your music at your fingertips ?

It's better than a free, all expenses paid honeymoon at a high end Caribbean resort.
    Kinda hard to go back to disc spinners huh.

It's not hard. It's impossible.

H9

I wouldn't go that far. They are OK for casual listening...in a car.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • heiney9
    Options
    I was answering in the context of the OP. MP3's are horrid for audiophile listening. Passable in the car or with ear bud's, etc.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Much like the dark ages of American automobiles began with the Dodge "K" car, MP3's ushered in the dark ages of music.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I was answering in the context of the OP. MP3's are horrid for audiophile listening. Passable in the car or with ear bud's, etc.

pz6ps1epntn1.gif

• heiney9
    Options

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options

x79ay7h1wjqa.gif
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Oh jeez....
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    giphy.gif
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk