Amp for rti a9

Comments

• I did find a gfa 555 in Edmonton. Used for 490 Canadian. The guy couldn't tell me how old it is though
  • The emotiva xpa 3 is looking really good.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    musichigh wrote: »
    I am really looking for great sounding music and no 5.1 or soundbar has ever given me what I crave.

...my MP3 collection...

Problem found.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    It seems like you might be confused. If you get an amp like the Adcom or Emotiva, you still need a preamp or integrated/receiver/AVR with preouts. You won't be all set to go with just the amp.

If you aren't confused and knew that, my apologies.

• yeah, although I wasn't 100% sure, I am now. To be honest, I am confused about how to go from the receiver to the emotive.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if I went with the Onkyo TX-NR656, would I be connecting this receiver to the Emotiva by hooking up the front output to the emotive?
  • Nightfall
    edited January 2017
    No, you would connect an amp to an output called "preout", it looks like that Onkyo doesn't have preouts. Also, be aware that Onkyo hasn't had the best reputation for reliability these past few years.

• well I guess you answered my question. I just posted it.
  • Hey guys. I found a Denon AVR 2805 7.1 Receiver. I am not sure how old it is but I would assume over 10 years old. At least this has preouts for when I finally get a proper amp.
    Also getting it at $175 which I think is a good deal.

Just thought I would get the experts opinion here first since you have shed light on a few things for me in the past.
    Thanks !
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    If you don't need all of todays bells and whistles, it will do just fine. It is 13 years old, but these machines are built to last for years.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

Bingo...yes, something like that would be leaps and bounds better than the Denon.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Let the negotiations begin :#
  • musichigh
    musichigh Posts: 40
    edited February 2017
    Hey guys. It's me again

I have been considering two amps. Both of them are pioneer.
    The first is what I mentioned above. The SC05

The 2nd is the SC63.

Now on the surface, in terms of wattage, there is minimal difference. it seems that the sc63 is a newer model and supports more tech. Example usb Bluetooth etc...

Wondering if any of you have opinions on them?

Thanks
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Aren't the SC-63's subject to the dreaded UE22 chip failures? If so you might want to factor that in.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • I have read about some issues with the sc63. I am getting a better deal on the 63 as it come with full surround speakers. This means I can use multiple rooms which I originally wasn't thinking about.

If the chip fails, is it repairable?
  • Also. Isn't the sc 63 only about 4 years old?
    The sc 05 is probably well over 10 years old
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    I have read about some issues with the sc63. I am getting a better deal on the 63 as it come with full surround speakers. This means I can use multiple rooms which I originally wasn't thinking about.

If the chip fails, is it repairable?

Theoretically the chip is repairable and there is a guy that actually offers the service but it isn't ideal. I just wanted to make sure you were aware before you made the purchase.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • BtrSound
    BtrSound Posts: 123
    I do not believe that the Yamaha RX481 has pre amp outputs so you cannot get an amp with that receiver. Pay a little more for this one and you may not need an amp but it will allow you to if you need one:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamtsr7790bl/yamaha-tsr-7790-7.2-x-95-watts-a/v-receiver-same-as-rx-v779/1.html
  • tonyb
    Oh, he'll need an amp with that receiver also. No 400 buck receiver is going to power those A9's effectively.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • musichigh
    OMG - I found a parasound 2250 in my hood for $900... i am so ready to jump on it!
  • musichigh
    Wazzup, thought I would pop up on here to say how I did on my next piece of my masterpiece... for a newb of course hahaha

To refresh everyone... I had such a good deal at the beginning of 2017 that I got a crazy set of front speakers... after all they said always get the speakers first....

Polk Rti-A9

I searched far and wide and talked to many people. Missed a deal on pararsound 2250 (why buy something used if they cant demo it?)

Thought anything with preouts would do it with external amp... but why think about now. Look to next 10 plus years.

So I went with something I knew would keep me happy and let my treasure grow with all future components. Hence I got...

ANTHEM MRX720

I pulled the trigger and I am happy. Haven't used ARC yet but I definitely will be in the future. So far with 2.0 system. Might add proper rear speakers next. Maybe centre.

I can't wait to get the next piece eventually.

Anyways... cheers and will keep you posted.
    Peace out
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited July 2017
    That Anthem is a nice piece, good job.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    A robust 2 or 3 channel amp should top your shopping list followed by next either...
    a hefty sub
    'A6 Center speaker
    something from the RTi A series for surrounds.

Maybe a separate 5 channel to power sides/surrounds assuming 7.1

Enjoy!
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Stevemac
    Stevemac Posts: 1
    Very informative info on this site from last year!
    Any current simple solutions(deals) for a 7.1 AVR with pre amp feature, and a proper power amp to feed my very new RtiA9 towers??
    Stevemac
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    7.1 AVR's are easy...what's your overall budget for the pair
    City/State local may also help for a quick search for used gear especially the amps...a Polkie may even chime in pending your local.

Welcome to club Polk Steve
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    Stevemac wrote: »
    Very informative info on this site from last year!
    Any current simple solutions(deals) for a 7.1 AVR with pre amp feature, and a proper power amp to feed my very new RtiA9 towers??
    Stevemac

All AVR's have a pre-amp section. Ideally you want an AVR with preouts that allows you to add an amplifier. Most here use Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz receivers.

AMPS- You want one a bit warmer sounding to offset the brightness of the A9's. Parasound amps work well, B&k, McCormack, Belles, just to name a few. Buy used, save some coin.

Use good quality cables too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Don't go with a pro amp. Seriously, DONT. I did, and now I’m stuck with it.
  • rjmaurer
    rjmaurer Posts: 4
    I've been watching this tread for a while because I'm in the same boat - new A9s and feel they could use a bit more power.

A bit of background - this is my home theater system which is 7.1 using a Denon 3313ci AVR and in wall/ceiling RT line speakers. The fronts were my old Monitor 10s from the late 80s. I replaced the 10s with RTI A9s and while movies sounded great, 2 channel stereo seems a bit thin.

So to solve this I've ordered a Parasound A21. It arrives this week. I'll report back what my impressions are going from a 130 watts (stereo mode) AVR vs 250 watts power amp.
  • Hi all new to this forum and a old audio nut from the early 80’s getting back into the game. I to recently got the RTi-A9 and need a new amp as well. Any recommendations to make these beasts sing to full potential without breaking the bank? I just want to run two sets of speakers for the sole purpose of music so a two channel is all I’m looking. My home theatre set up is a separate entity and sufficient as is. I currently run a Sony GX50ES receiver with a pair of PSB Avante speakers and then a 2nd pair of home builts from radio shack parts (yes I thought I was an audiophile in the day) but really just a handy experimental woodworker. They do sound not bad but now want to replace with the 9’s now help any advice! I live in Canada and don’t really want to spend more than 1500 if I can help it and willing to hike across the border for a parasound if you say so! Somewhere to Washington state if I have to lol
  • cory30189
    cory30189 Posts: 3
    I have a pair of RTI A9's also and i have a crown xls 2002 running them now, and i was thinking of upgrading to a Parasound 2250, but my biggest use is for home theater, video games, movies. Is it worth it to upgrade and will it make a noticable difference for my use of them?