Any chance that hdmi cable makes screen black out?

Options
Bought a new yamaha receiver. This is the first time I've had the pleasure of being able to use hdmi switching. My xbox one hdmi was the longest, so I used this for my "monitor out" to the tv. Various hdmi plugs are being used for each of my 4 devices. My xbox one has an amazon basics hdmi that supposedly is the latest and greatest.

I notice random video only (not audio) black outs for about 5 seconds at a time. They seem to happen about once per hour or two. No cable is longer than 6 feet. My room mate doesn't seem to notice this problem when he uses the ps4 unless he is just non observant...

Im ready to exchange my receiver, but just wondered if there is any chance that a brand new 3 ft hdmi cable could do this? Not sure why it would work fine 99% of the time if it were the cable but wondered if others have experienced this.

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    The very best test to see if the cables are failing without test equipment is run each device directly to the TV and see if you experience the same issue.
    I eliminate these types of issues by using higher quality HDMI cables. Not to say the TV or receiver isn't the problem but having higher quality cables are a way to ease the trouble shooting when HDMI issues arise.
    I suggest replacing all your HDMI cables with audioquest Pearl or Forest level cables. They are affordable and built to perfection.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I had a problem with my Yamaha and the HDMI when I first got it. I had to turn off the CEC and I think that fixed the issue.

Mantis has the right idea, but I would also try turning off the CEC function if you have it on.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Yes, I have had the same exact issue and it was a bad HDMI cable.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • shweetpickens
    Options
    Hmmm good to know. I will try a few of the suggestions. I have a really hard time with a $30-$50 cable when I've never had any problems with mine until introducing a receiver into the mix. That idea is still on the table though and thanks for the suggestion. What is cec??
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Switch out the Xbox and PS4 HDMI cables to see if the Xbox stops blacking out and the PS4 starts blacking out.

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Hmmm good to know. I will try a few of the suggestions. I have a really hard time with a $30-$50 cable when I've never had any problems with mine until introducing a receiver into the mix. That idea is still on the table though and thanks for the suggestion. What is cec??

From the Yamaha website -

HDMI CEC for Easy Operation

Another benefit of HDMI is the availability of CEC functionality. When the unit is connected to a CEC compatible TV, it will turn on and off together with the TV and you can use the TV remote to control the volume. CEC also provides advanced functionality with other components. For example, you can use the receiver’s remote unit to control player functions like Skip and Stop.

*All connected devices must be HDMI CEC compatible. Some CEC compatible TVs/players may not work.
  • shweetpickens
    Options
    Thanks guys I'll try the cable switch. I don't think my receiver has cec but I'll double check!
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Thanks guys I'll try the cable switch. I don't think my receiver has cec but I'll double check!

I'd bet cash that the problem follows the cable.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    sparkles is another indication of bad HDMI... they do and will go bad
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Any luck?

• shweetpickens
    Options
    I will update my luck. Gonna go home tonite and swap cables and then road test it for a few hours. Ill update everyone. Thanks for the advice
  • maingey
    maingey Posts: 628
    Options
    also check if the HDMI cable by chance is directional. May be backwards.
  • shweetpickens
    Options
    So sorry that i never updated. My problem had nothing to do with cables. I tested and swapped around all to no avail. Crutchfield customer service was amazing and shipped me a new receiver within days. I swapped receivers, sent the old one back with free return shipping, and havent had a problem since. All of this is with the same cables, and the new unit has been working fine for a year now.