DIY speaker stands

Anybody built some or know of some good plans? Just looking for some ideas for my son's nice bookshelf speakers. They're Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grands in gloss black. He'll want something sturdy and nice looking.

Comments

• zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    You can build some, were you looking at wood or metal stands? I have a pair of each of these and both are well made. I got these for my SR-71 speaker project speakers and they are excellent. http://www.standsandmounts.com/TransDeco24inchTemperedBlackGlassandHighGlossBlackSteelSpeakerStandsTD24B.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp15600218&sc_intid=16063&gclid=CJ-J6ZHwgtECFYVXfgodsqwCKA
    http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ssmb24-24-speaker-stand-pair-square-steel-base--240-750
    And I have these from parts express and are excellent for the money.
    http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ssmb24-24-speaker-stand-pair-square-steel-base--240-750

Here they are with speakers on them, By the time I added up materials these were a cheaper way to go.
    DSC03054_zpsdi1sej8m.jpg

By all means if you want to build some bless you.
  • Here is a pic of the stands I made out of 1x6 and 1x12 material. Very sturdy.
    ozuwa3mjufob.jpg
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    ramseyd wrote: »
    Here is a pic of the stands I made out of 1x6 and 1x12 material. Very sturdy.
    Nice job! I also like the stands @Jstas built and posted about recently in another thread. Here's his original thread about them:
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/172150/speaker-stands
    I may steal some concepts from each of these, or perhaps copy them both. I could use a set for myself too.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    The pipe stands are easy to make. It's the finish that is a pain.

Also, you don't need to make them all pretty if you don't want. You can clean the pipe and shoot it with clearcoat to keep it from rusting and use painted MDF if you want. Or just shoot the whole thing black or white or whatever.

You could use PVC too but it's harder to find flanges that won't look stupid.

If you can center the pipe properly (off set means off balance) you can get away with a single 2 or 3 inch pipe depending on how tall the stand will be and how heavy the speaker is. I have 32 inch tall stands in the Lieberry for my Totems. My first test use two 1" pipes and it wiggled a bunch. So I added a 3rd 1" pipe to each stand and it stabilized it significantly.

The nice thing about the pipe is, if you put some sealant around the bottom flanges where they meet your base, you can fill the pipes with sand or shot and double your mass. I filled one of the stands in the Lieberry with play sand just to see and they went from about 15 pounds to a hair under 28 pounds with all the sand that fit in them.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mdaudioguy
    I've been thinking of perhaps an eco-build with concrete-filled 3" or 4" PVC, with the thought that concrete will add more rigidity than sand. We'll see.
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    Jstas wrote: »
    The pipe stands are easy to make. It's the finish that is a pain.

Also, you don't need to make them all pretty if you don't want. You can clean the pipe and shoot it with clearcoat to keep it from rusting and use painted MDF if you want. Or just shoot the whole thing black or white or whatever.

I like the black paint approach, but where would a person find black paint?

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    I read somewhere that the individual particles of sand actually move causing friction and dissipate energy as heat.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • I have a set of the cheap Sanus stands I reinforced using wood closet rod. I cut the Sanus upright to length then cut four pieces of closet rod the same length for each stand. Place the closet rod out near the corners and you now have a well braced stand with five uprights.

I think I am into them for about 45 bucks counting primer and paint

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I'm going to dredge this back up for 2 reasons: to see what @mdaudioguy did or didn't do with this project, and to ask the forum what they look for in a stand and what should be incorporated in a DIY build (i.e. if YOU were going to build a pair, what would YOU do and why?).
  • mdaudioguy
    FestYboy wrote: »
    I'm going to dredge this back up for 2 reasons: to see what @mdaudioguy did or didn't do with this project, and to ask the forum what they look for in a stand and what should be incorporated in a DIY build (i.e. if YOU were going to build a pair, what would YOU do and why?).

As with too many of my projects, this one has stalled. I'm hoping to do something this winter... We'll see! I do, however, have what I think is a really cool concept in mind.